Around the NHL (Part XVII) - RIP Steve Montador

Status
Not open for further replies.

CptnSerious

Them Intangibles
Apr 19, 2014
Canucks win. Kings tied 1-1 against the Lightning going into the 3rd. Some good games tonight for sure.

Nothingman*

Minny now knows why we cannot stand Burrows after that celebration in front of Dubbie. Classless.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Just saw the Byfuglien hit. MAH GAWD, HE BROKE HIM IN HALF! STOP THE DAMN MATCH!

Seriously though, that was a suicide pass 110%. Fayne owes Gazdic a steak dinner.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I posted this on the main board in the Kings thread. Is this an arrogant way of thinking?...

This was something I've always felt that most fans that don't cheer for the Kings, Hawks, Wings, and (to a lesser extent, Bruins and Pens) simply can't understand. The regular season is 82 games long. When you're a championship caliber team it's gotta be tough to get up for games October-February because you're so used to playing the most intense hockey of your life from April-June

I feel like bubble teams don't understand this because they haven't watched their team be elite for multiple years, or ever. It's why you see the Toronto media make a huge deal about a Hawks game in January, Nucks fans make a huge deal about beating us 4-1 in December, Wild fans make a huge deal about ALMOST beating us in the the 2nd round, etc...

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Nah, it's just different expectations. When you know you're a playoff team, the regular season is pretty much just the preseason for the real/postseason.

When you're a bubble team, and especially one that has a bit of a playoff drought, every point's a battle that you have to fight over and is cause for celebration at winning or despair at losing.

I wasn't here back then, but I imagine that Hawks fans on here were similarly the same way during 2007-08 and 2008-09.

I imagine that Red Sox, Cardinals, and Yankees fans would look on in amusement at the sight of Cubs fans getting giddy over a potential playoff run, just as Packers and Patriots fans undoubtedly would find it adorable how Bears fans yearn for mere relevancy and constantly harken back to three decades ago like it even really matters.

Last edited:

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
apparently ovechkin responded to getzlaf's accusations of diving by saying that he(getzlaf) was jealous ovechkin has hair. lol

“No response. Maybe he’s just jealous. All that kind of stuff. I have hair, he don’t have hair. So we can start talking about that all day long,” said Ovechkin with a smile, before the Capitlas played the Pittsburgh Penguins on Tuesday.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
Also, I really wish I could watch the caps pens game, but apparently buffalo owns NBCSN or something because they are on for like the 30th time this season.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Buffalo gets monster regional ratings. Even a last place Sabres team has a better TV draw than about 2/3 of the league in the U.S.

They'll be on heavy national TV circulation forever.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
Yea, I've heard that, but I just don't understand. They've been a SAVAGELY boring team for awhile now.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Have you been to that area of New York? The general Buffalo area makes the Sabres look like the most exciting thing on the planet by comparison. Also, they're under approximately 800 feet of snow at any given moment, so nothing else to do but watch the team.

Western NY is a cash cow for the NHL/NBC.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Ugh just put on the Preds-Sharks game and the Preds tie it.

At least the Stars are beating down the Blues... for now.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Also, I really wish I could watch the caps pens game, but apparently buffalo owns NBCSN or something because they are on for like the 30th time this season.

Center Ice has a free preview thru the 20th if you get it

And Letang just crashed into boards and may have concussion again after Ovy slashed him in skates (He then proceeded to lose balance shortly after and fall)

Jesus ,, Its the Pens announcers and this is awful (Calling for major and other nonsense)

And 2 Pens go after Ovechkin after faceoff and then he nails one of them seconds later into boards. The Pens announcers are whining

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Woah. Why did it get so ugly?

Just really dumb and bad officiating.

Caps players were mad because Holtby kept getting run with no call yet the refs called interference on the Caps the first time they ran into Fleury.

And Pens players were mad because Ovechkin tripped/slashed the back of Letang's skate and Letang wound up losing his balance and sliding into the boards and there was no call on Ovi even after the refs conferred, but the Pens kept getting called for penalties in the 3rd period after that happened.

And then the refs finished things off after the Caps scored on a 5 on 3 to go ahead by giving the Pens a weak goalie interference power play again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad