Around the NHL (Part XVII) - RIP Steve Montador

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Well, Nashville's gonna win, but they're likely out of reach anyway, so no need to worry about that.

Looks like St. Louis is going down, so good.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Are people truly afraid of Nashville? Like really deep down do people actually think they can beat the Hawks in 7? I just don't see it.

They are secretly a 2 line team and those 2 lines aren't even that impressive. They rely on a rookie for their scoring. The kid is Teravainen's age. Their second scorer is charmin soft Ribeiro. I just think their offense is going to dry up almost completely when they actually play games that matter. Sure their defense and goaltending is great, but NEWSFLASH they give up more G/A then the Blackhawks even though the Hawks D corp has been getting killed on this board.

They are the weakest team down the middle that will be in the playoffs.

Not to mention that it is shaping up for them to play Minny/SJS/LA first round. I think I take Minny and LA easily against them and SJS who knows.

I just don't see it.

Last edited:

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Are people truly afraid of Nashville? Like really deep down do people actually think they can beat the Hawks in 7? I just don't see it.

They are secretly a 2 line team and those 2 lines aren't even that impressive. They rely on a rookie for their scoring. The kid is Teravainen's age. Their second scorer is charmin soft Ribeiro. I just think their offense is going to dry up almost completely when they actually play games that matter. Sure their defense and goaltending is great, but NEWSFLASH they give up more G/A then the Blackhawks even though the Hawks D corp has been getting killed on this board.

Not to mention that it is shaping up for them to play Minny/SJS/LA first round. I think I take Minny and LA easily against them and SJS who knows.

I just don't see it.

I would rather the Hawks play Nashville than St. Louis in the first round. Just a gut feeling. But not much the Hawks can do about it at this point.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Ovi <3

n0VRpFI.gif

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
And the Hawks are 4 points back of St. Louis with both of them having 25 games left. They have no chance of catching them :sarcasm:

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I would rather the Hawks play Nashville than St. Louis in the first round. Just a gut feeling. But not much the Hawks can do about it at this point.

The Blues go 7 deep on offense. The Hawks go 8 deep. They also use 3 of there 7 forwards against the other team's top competition. The Hawks use 3/4 bottom players to play team's top competition. This is a HUGE advantage for the Hawks.

Then factor in their questionable goaltending. Pietrangelo is having a down year. There 4/5 are Gunnarsson (7 career playoff games) and Jackman (he is objectively terrible).

The point is, we critique the Hawks against themselves (mostly the 2013 team which was transcendently good... one of the best teams ever assembled statistically). When you stop and compare the actual Hawks against the actual competition...

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
The thing that Q does that makes him a genius is playing that Kruger/Smith/X line against other team's best players. No other team's (to my knowledge) are doing that. It frees up 3(!) scoring lines for the Hawks. The advantage is huge at home with last change... mitigated somewhat on the road.

Same thing on defense. He plays Hjalmarsson/Oduya against the best comp and frees up Keith and Seabrook completely to slay bums. Seabrook had 15 points in 16 games last playoffs.

All the concern about Sharp... he was awful in the last year's playoffs and they damn near won. Versteeg was terrible and they damn near won. If one or both don't suck there is ALOT to like about the Hawks.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
The thing that Q does that makes him a genius is playing that Kruger/Smith/X line against other team's best players. No other team's (to my knowledge) are doing that. It frees up 3(!) scoring lines for the Hawks. The advantage is huge at home with last change... mitigated somewhat on the road.

Same thing on defense. He plays Hjalmarsson/Oduya against the best comp and frees up Keith and Seabrook completely to slay bums. Seabrook had 15 points in 16 games last playoffs.

All the concern about Sharp... he was awful in the last year's playoffs and they damn near won. Versteeg was terrible and they damn near won. If one or both don't suck there is ALOT to like about the Hawks.

you left out the part where we were icing a reanimated corpse in handzus.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I really want to see Kane win the Art Ross. It'd be so huge for US hockey and the Hawks, not to mention for him!

BUT if he doesn't win, I really hope it's Ovechkin. Impossible not to love that guy right now. He's not at his elite post-lockout levels of course but he's totally turned around and instead of sliding into a 60ish point, 30ish goal scorer he's been one of the best wingers in the game. As a hockey fan you've gotta love that.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Rinne and Weber are better than anyone on the Blues. I think a Preds vs Kings matchup would be ideal for us. Assuming we beat the Blues of course, having to play only one of Nashville or LA would be great. Both would be pretty tough.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Everybody's just Russian to judge him. They always complain about how he's Stalin on defense. I find that crazy, he's always Putin the Capitals on his back.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Rinne and Weber are better than anyone on the Blues. I think a Preds vs Kings matchup would be ideal for us. Assuming we beat the Blues of course, having to play only one of Nashville or LA would be great. Both would be pretty tough.

I think Nashville gets beat down fairly easily by LA, which sucks because that puts us in our division round 2, but w/e.

member 151739

Everybody's just Russian to judge him. They always complain about how he's Stalin on defense. I find that crazy, he's always Putin the Capitals on his back.

I know. You'd think opposing teams would know to stop him on the PP. Give him a second of space, and he'll Beria.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver

I just don't see it.

Not here to start an argument as it's your home base. I just wanted to point out that a vastly inferior NSH team (to the current iteration) gave you guys a pretty big scare in 2010 on your way to your first cup. If that Erat blind pass and your SH goal in Game 5 doesn't happen, NSH would have been up 3-2 heading back home for Game 6.

That was the last time we met in the playoffs. Not sure why you'd write off a materially better NSH team with home advantage so easily.

Elvis P

Revolution was a B side
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Don't get anyone who dislikes Ovechkin. He's just awesome.
I watched many Caps games last season and his -35 was arguably the laziest, worst defensive season in NHL history by a player of his offensive caliber and hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad