Around the NHL (Part XVII) - RIP Steve Montador

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Marleau seems to be on decline (not shocking at 35 years old)

Last year in 82 games he had 33 goals + 37 assists

This year in 44 games he has 7 goals + 21 assists and is -10

He has 1 assist and is a -9 in his last 14 games

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
You know... with half a season gone, there's a legit argument to be made that Nashville should sweep the NHL awards.

Hart and Vezina: Pekka Rinne
Calder: Forsberg
Norris: Weber
Adams: Laviolette
Executive of the year aware: Poille

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
You know... with half a season gone, there's a legit argument to be made that Nashville should sweep the NHL awards.

Hart and Vezina: Pekka Rinne
Calder: Forsberg
Norris: Weber
Adams: Laviolette
Executive of the year aware: Poille

Stanley Cup: Not Nashville

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Stanley Cup: Not Nashville

Probably not, though it's not totally out of the realm of possibility.

That's why they play the games. If we knew who was going to win, we wouldn't have to. We could look at the rosters going into the season and skip the whole 'playing hockey' part, and get right to the parade. ;)

But the Stanley Cup doesn't really have anything to do with my post, which was about NHL awards.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Nashville is having a great year, but that being said I'm not overly shocked.

... well, I take that back. Being at the top of the standings at the halfway mark? Yes, that's a surprise. Being a playoff team, though? Eh, not really. Granted, I didn't have them in the playoffs when I made my preseason predictions, but I did from the very beginning highlight them as being a major darkhorse playoff contender on account of the simple fact that they barely missed the playoffs the previous year with Rinne out a significant amount, they went out and improved their offensive game, and got a new coach that I thought would work well with them. Me leaving them out of a playoff spot in the preseason wasn't a vote against them, but rather believing that Minnesota would get marginally better, Dallas would take a big step forward, and Colorado would fall a bit, but not nearly enough to make them fall out of playoff contention, therefore not leaving enough spots open for Nashville to swoop in. Whoops.

That being said.... I don't know. They're good, but I'm just not expecting them to go very far when the rubber hits the road in the playoffs. Who knows? They might very well find themselves on the path that we were on in 2009 where they get a surprise deep run and set themselves up for the next few years for title hopes. I just think that they've been running on all cylinders for a very long while now, but will fall back closer to the bubble where I think they'll remain before it's all said and done, whether that being this year or next.

That being said, Central's only getting tougher.

Last edited:

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Preds are for real... still wonder how Forsberg made it to #9/10 in the draft just to get traded for Erat :laugh:
Caps :D

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
There was a Preds fan on my Israel trip who was still concerned about them making the playoffs :laugh:

Gotta love the small time mindset.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Wild's practice apparently got delayed for a team meeting.

Dun dun dun

Trade? Yeo fired? Vanek leaving his dirty socks all over the place? Anybody's guess!

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
My inside mod sources have paid off. Here's what's happening:

Vanek: I keep telling you guys, the logo's a wildcat!
Praise: No, you ****ing idiot! It's clearly a bear. Look at the ears, they're rounded. That's a bear, not a cat.
Suter: I don't know, the nose looks more like a cat to me.
Praise: The nose? You're off your ****ing rocker, man.
Cooke: Maybe it's a bear/cat hybrid?
Vanek: Nobody gave you permission to talk, shut up.

Twenty minutes of that.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
And the answer to Minnesota's goaltending woes is...

Devan Dubnyk.

Yep.

For a third-round pick in the upcoming draft. Well then.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
And the answer to Minnesota's goaltending woes is...

Devan Dubnyk.

Yep.

For a third-round pick in the upcoming draft. Well then.

It's not a blockbuster, but it is an upgrade for them.

Honestly, hard as it would be to swallow, looking at the standings, I would say '**** it', lets just tank, get an awesome pick, try again next season.

The chances of them climbing back into the playoff picture aren't great. So why make a move now, just to get you further away from the real gems, but not far enough to really give your team a chance this season?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I'd be pretty livid if I was a Minny fan. That's not how you address what's obviously a huge hole in the team

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
Why in the hell is Matt Beleskey a healthy scratch?

Wonder if he truly isn't "healthy." Guy is a pending UFA, so if he is a healthy scratch, he is a candidate to go even though he has been very good this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad