Around the NHL (Part XII): Stay Strong, Gino

Status
Not open for further replies.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Weird thought... maybe having Gaborik on the Kings and the Hawks-kings rivalry keeps hossa motivated to play longer?

Also, for those saying 7 years is a long time... some depressing perspective: The Kings now have Gaborik under contract for the same number of years going forward as we have Hossa... at a slightly lower cap hit.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Weird thought... maybe having Gaborik on the Kings and the Hawks-kings rivalry keeps hossa motivated to play longer?

Also, for those saying 7 years is a long time... some depressing perspective: The Kings now have Gaborik under contract for the same number of years going forward as we have Hossa... at a slightly lower cap hit.

yeah, but we signed Hossa to that deal how many years ago????

I would also take Hossa's body of work now, and going forward over Gaborik's 10 out of 10 times despite this playoffs.

I just think 7 years for a guy who was just dumped by two teams (Rangers/Blue Jackets) who were histroically needing offense is a bit crazy to me. But whatever, he is LA's problem, so good luck with that Kings!

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
@Real_ESPNLeBrun: I believe that Gaborik's 7-yr deal is worth around $4.9 M or $5 M a year. I am working to confirm.

https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/...54046370672641

Really wonder what magic Gaborik's agent would've pulled to get an extra four years without a huge pay cut.

Wow, the gift that keeps on giving, all for a couple 2nd round picks. What a ****ing cap hit, I mean, Kings fans have to be happier than pigs in **** right now, Kings probably just won the offseason. This will be tough to top.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 10m
The exact AAV on Gaborik: $4.875 M per year. I had narrowed it down to $4.9 M but it's $4.875 M exactly

:amazed:

Wow, the gift that keeps on giving, all for a couple 2nd round picks. What a ****ing cap hit, I mean, Kings fans have to be happier than pigs in **** right now, Kings probably just won the offseason. This will be tough to top.

All that matters is that we beat them on the ice, not in offseason moves. We came pretty close, but they definitely aren't going to make it easy.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 10m
The exact AAV on Gaborik: $4.875 M per year. I had narrowed it down to $4.9 M but it's $4.875 M exactly

:amazed:

All that matters is that we beat them on the ice, not in offseason moves. We came pretty close, but they definitely aren't going to make it easy.

tumblr_lzgjlllvwZ1qa7175o1_500.png

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
Wow. Hell of a deal for LA. I don't think I've ever seen a player take a pay cut like this one (considering both amount and term and that the cap circumvention deals are basically done).

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I am sorry, 7 years for that guy is insane. Talk about cashing in off of a playoff performance. People are going to look at this signing in 2-3 years and laugh. The guy is 32 years old for God's sake, this is going to be a blunder no matter the cap hit as I doubt he even comes close to playing a full damn season!!

Alpha Charlie Echo‏@SuicidePass·58 mins
Gaborik since '05: groin, groin/hip flexor, groin, groin, groin, groin, back, groin, hip, groin, knee, knee, shoulder, groin, concussion...

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Nucks fans haven't changed a bit. Still so touchy...

They're not going to get the world for Kesler, who is apparently a world class player on the greatest contract in the NHL

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Gaborik can just retire and they won't get dinged at all. They probably front loaded it and planned for his retirement already. Don't think the term is that terrible (depending on how front loaded it is)

Exactly, there is no more cap recapture so you can circumvent the cap once again. You can't front load the deal though IIRC.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Exactly, there is no more cap recapture so you can circumvent the cap once again. You can't front load the deal though IIRC.

Front-loaded contracts where the average of salary plus bonuses over the first half of the contract exceeds the cap hit, variability rules apply. Year-to-year variability is limited to 35 per cent of the first-year compensation. If a player earns $10M in Year 1, the contract cannot subsequently increase/decrease by more than $3.5M from year to year. Meanwhile, the lowest year’s compensation cannot be less than 50 per cent of the highest year’s compensation. If a player earns $10M in his highest year, he can never earn less than $5M any other year.

Gaborik breakdown: $6.075 M each of first 3 yrs; $5.075 M in 17-18; $4.575 M in 18-19; $3.175 M in 19-20; $3.075 M in 20-21

Not sure if Gabby is going to want to walk away from 6+mil in the last 2 years. So the term might hurt LA here.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
There's no more recapture? What? I thought the whole idea was to avoid front loading contracts for older players who would retire and not play for the cheap years and thus lower the cap hit?

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
There's no more recapture? What? I thought the whole idea was to avoid front loading contracts for older players who would retire and not play for the cheap years and thus lower the cap hit?

Pretty sure recapture only counts for contracts signed before the new CBA

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Front-loaded contracts where the average of salary plus bonuses over the first half of the contract exceeds the cap hit, variability rules apply. Year-to-year variability is limited to 35 per cent of the first-year compensation. If a player earns $10M in Year 1, the contract cannot subsequently increase/decrease by more than $3.5M from year to year. Meanwhile, the lowest year’s compensation cannot be less than 50 per cent of the highest year’s compensation. If a player earns $10M in his highest year, he can never earn less than $5M any other year.

Wow, makes the deal even better then. Yeah, no way Gaborik plays those last few years. This is perfect. He gets paid what he wants for a cheap cap hit then retires before the last few years.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

There's no need for it in new deals because, as Hawkaholic said, you can't front load to the degree you used to be able to, the lowest year needs to be 50%.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 2m
Gaborik breakdown: $6.075 M each of first 3 yrs; $5.075 M in 17-18; $4.575 M in 18-19; $3.175 M in 19-20; $3.075 M in 20-21

Perfect for the Kings, what a deal.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Wow, makes the deal even better then. Yeah, no way Gaborik plays those last few years. This is perfect. He gets paid what he wants for a cheap cap hit then retires before the last few years.

What makes you think he wouldn't play when he's 38-39 for $3MM or whatever? That isn't that old...

EDIT: right as I post the actual $$s come out. Yeah, he ain't retiring early.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I'd be shocked if a mercenary like Gaborik turns down six million dollars at age 38 and 39. He will be attractive to a floor team looking to save dollars on the cap hit though.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
What makes you think he wouldn't play when he's 38-39 for 3 or 4 million each? That isn't that old...

It will be for him. I don't think he wants to risk ending up in a wheelchair. He'll be good for another 3-4 years but after that, the guy has got to be feeling it and would have made like 75M by then. You never know I guess, but I doubt he wants to do that.

I'd be shocked if a mercenary like Gaborik turns down six million dollars at age 38 and 39. He will be attractive to a floor team looking to save dollars on the cap hit though.

That's true. To top it off, no news on a NTC. We gave a NTC to Oduya and they get Gaborik without one on a team friendly deal. :facepalm:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

That's a good point. But at the same time, it only gives the cap floor team a savings of 1mil. But his deal came without a NTC so it's possible.

CptnSerious

Them Intangibles
Apr 19, 2014
Nucks fans haven't changed a bit. Still so touchy...

They're not going to get the world for Kesler, who is apparently a world class player on the greatest contract in the NHL

Don't worry. Those Canucks fans will be complaining in a few days after they see what they will get in a Kesler trade. I think there will be a lot of disappointment. :laugh:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Don't worry. Those Canucks fans will be complaining in a few days after they see what they will get in a Kesler trade. I think there will be a lot of disappointment. :laugh:

No they won't. Anaheim or somebody else will pay the price and get him, end of story. You have to realize how great of a prospect pool Anaheim has. It's a strength for them. It's nothing like the Hawks situation. They can deal prospects and picks and still be loaded with high quality NHL ready talent with even more on the way.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Ryan Callahan re signs for 6 years at $5.8mil per season....:laugh:

what the hell is going on here??? these contract lengths and overall amount are nuts for some of these guys. almost $6mil per year for Callahan? I love the guy, but that just seems extreme to me.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Ryan Callahan re signs for 6 years at $5.8mil per season....:laugh:

what the hell is going on here??? these contract lengths and overall amount are nuts for some of these guys. almost $6mil per year for Callahan? I love the guy, but that just seems extreme to me.

Bet his agent is so psyched he got that deal inked before the Gaborik deal was reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad