Around the NHL (Part XII): Stay Strong, Gino

Status
Not open for further replies.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Think I heard Steve Miller's name among the officials and if so, I think it's the same crew that had the no goal fiasco in Game 1 of the WCF.

member 151739

There's something about Kreider I don't like. Could be the villainous goatee or the fact that he injures goalies. The answer lies in the middle.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
There is really no logical reason for it but for some reason the Rangers losing at home makes me feel better about yesterday.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Anything eventful from the Habs game? I got home really late tonight turned it on just in time to see NYR tie it and then came back to the tv to see the Habs win :laugh:

Anything notable happen?

member 151739

Anything eventful from the Habs game? I got home really late tonight turned it on just in time to see NYR tie it and then came back to the tv to see the Habs win :laugh:

Anything notable happen?

Prust with a dirty, late hit that didn't get a penalty. Carcillo got into a fight then punched the linesman, got kicked out of the game. Automatic suspension. Robert De Niro was there.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Prust with a dirty, late hit that didn't get a penalty. Carcillo got into a fight then punched the linesman, got kicked out of the game. Automatic suspension. Robert De Niro was there.

Good ole Carbomb :laugh:

lol, too bad we re-signed Bollig than trying to get him back. He was always entertaining.

Actually, I should be careful about what I saw..when he was here I was always raging about what a dirty POS he was. But...

He was always entertaining.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
this is the gif i saw on the main board

854035696.gif

the way ppl were talking on twitter (where intelligence goes to die), i thought he'd actually knocked the ref out or something

Dreger had this to say

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 2h
Officials will review Carcillo incident postgame and determine category. If any category 40 rule is applied Carcillo will be suspended.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 6m
Likely won't get word until morning, but sense Dan Carcillo may be in for a long suspension. 10 or 20 games according to rule 40.3 or 40.2

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 5m
If Carcillo receives 20 gms, officials would have deemed he intended to injure. 10 gms is applied when there is no intent. Serious situation

member 151739

Yeah, UWT, people always sensationalize things. I just said he punched a linesman, which he did.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26328

Reading the rules, I'm not sure why the NHL couldn't call this Category III with just a 3 game suspension if they wanted to:

Rule 40 - Physical Abuse of Officials
40.1 Game Misconduct - Any player who deliberately applies physical force in any manner against an official, in any manner attempts to injure an official, physically demeans, or deliberately applies physical force to an official solely for the purpose of getting free of such an official during or immediately following an altercation shall receive a game misconduct penalty. In addition, the following (40.2, 40.3, 40.4) disciplinary penalties shall apply.

40.2 Automatic Suspension – Category I - Any player who deliberately strikes an official and causes injury or who deliberately applies physical force in any manner against an official with intent to injure, or who in any manner attempts to injure an official shall be automatically suspended for not less than twenty (20) games. (For the purpose of the rule, “intent to injure” shall mean any physical force which a player or goalkeeper knew or should have known could reasonably be expected to cause injury.)

40.3 Automatic Suspension – Category II - Any player who deliberately applies physical force to an official in any manner (excluding actions as set out in Category I), which physical force is applied without intent to injure, or who spits on an official,shall be automatically suspended for not less than ten (10) games.

40.4 Automatic Suspension – Category III - Any player who, by his actions, physically demeans an official or physically threatens an official by (but not limited to) throwing a stick or any other piece of equipment or object at or in the general direction of an official, shooting the puck at or in the general direction of an official, spitting at or in the general direction of an official, or who deliberately applies physical force to an official solely for the purpose of getting free of such an official during or immediately following an altercation shall be suspended for not less than three (3) games.

40.5 Automatic Suspension – Process - Immediately after the game in which such game misconduct penalty is imposed, the Referees shall, in consultation with the Linesmen, decide the category of the offense. They shall make a verbal report to the League’s Director of Hockey Operations and advise of the category and of the offense. In addition, they shall file a written report to the Director of Hockey Operations in which they may request a review as to the adequacy of the suspension. The NHLPA, the player and the Club involved shall be notified of the decision of the Referees on the morning following the game. The League will then hold a conference call with the NHLPA to review the Referees application of this rule, and will refrain from issuing public comment affirming the Referees application of Rule 40 until that call is complete.
The player or the officials may request the Commissioner to review, subject to the provisions of this rule, the penalty imposed by the Referees. Such request must be filed with the Commissioner in writing not later than seventy-two (72) hours following notification of the penalty.
If a review of the incident is requested by either the player, goalkeeper or by the officials, a hearing will be conducted by the Commissioner on an expedited basis, and best efforts will be used to provide a hearing before the second game missed by the player due to the automatic suspension imposed under this rule. The player’s suspension shall continue pending the outcome of the hearing by the Commissioner.
For Category III offenses only, the Commissioner may conduct the hearing by telephone. For Category I and II offenses, the hearing shall be conducted in person.
After any review as called for hereby, the Commissioner shall issue an order that:
(i) sustaining the minimum suspension, or
(ii) increasing the number of games within the category, or
(iii) changing to a lower category, or
(iv) changing to a lower category and increasing the number of games within this category, or
(v) in the case of a Category III suspension only, reducing the number of games of the suspension.
The penalties imposed under this rule shall not be deemed to limit the right of the Commissioner with respect to any action that he might otherwise take pursuant to Article 18 of the CBA.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
854035696.gif

I could see Carcillo making the argument he was trying to just get free of the official and not intending to injure which would make it Category III. If the NHL wanted to make it only 3 games cause it's the playoffs, they could because of this.

I could see the NHL not buying Carcillo's argument but only making it 10 games because there was no intent to injure.

I will find it ridiculous if they give Carcillo 20 games because I am not seeing any intent to injure based on what happened in this gif.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
I don't like the way the official grabbed him personally. Its one thing to try to separate a player, but he grabbed carcillo's jersey, seems pretty odd IMO.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Yeah, UWT, people always sensationalize things. I just said he punched a linesman, which he did.

Sorry, I didn't mean it as if I was saying anyone was wrong. Sorry if it came off that way.

I just meant that the stuff i was reading on twitter, without seeing anything, made me envision him punching someone square on, enforcer style.

Edit: TK, nevermind - i just noticed in my earlier post i'd used the phrase 'knocked out'...so see what you meant in your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad