Around the NHL III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
Turns out the grass isn't always greener after all, Marty.

I'd take him back, I'm willing to bet Poile would as well. That being said, I certainly don't expect it to happen.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I thought he was going to be traded Friday to a Canadian team.

and remember, he asked to be traded because he thought we were about to go under a massive rebuild here.

He asked in private way, still played hard and hurt. He was nothing but a class act when he was here. I would take him back. Now that he has publically asked out, the price shouldn't be too high.

Absolutely. He's been poorly misused by the Caps, and I hope he gets a shot to prove his worth elsewhere. I'm not Pollyanna enough to believe it will be back here, but I'd eagerly welcome him back.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
Absolutely. He's been poorly misused by the Caps, and I hope he gets a shot to prove his worth elsewhere. I'm not Pollyanna enough to believe it will be back here, but I'd eagerly welcome him back.

The gold-colored glasses being worn over a guy who demanded to be traded out of here (Forced Poile's hand - Poile wanted to wait till the summer but Erat demaned out right then) and now TWICE from the Caps (the first time just a week into the season!) is either hilarious or sad. Not sure which.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
The gold-colored glasses being worn over a guy who demanded to be traded out of here (Forced Poile's hand - Poile wanted to wait till the summer but Erat demaned out right then) and now TWICE from the Caps (the first time just a week into the season!) is either hilarious or sad. Not sure which.

you are now making things up. McPhee called with about an hour left at the deadline and the deal occured. That came straight from Poile's mouth on the radio.

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
you are now making things up. McPhee called with about an hour left at the deadline and the deal occured. That came straight from Poile's mouth on the radio.

The way I heard it, also straight from Poile, is that Erat was unhappy and asked to be traded around two weeks before the trade deadline. Poile tried to talk him out of it all the way up to the night before the trade deadline and Erat still insisted he wanted to be traded.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Wanting to be traded and demanded to be moved at the deadline are 2 different things. We all know Erat wanted to be moved. I've never heard he demanded to be moved before the deadline though.

Anyway, reading through the trade logic on that thread is too funny. It's like the people that say we traded Kimmo and Hartnell for Peter Forsberg.

Using that logic Poile looks like a genius for trading David Gosselin and getting Shea Weber.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
We have two things going on here:

"The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence."

"You can't go home again."

MartyParty II would not be as good as MP I.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I would bet money the players lose this lawsuit

Probably, similar to how the NFL player's probably would have had they not settled. I think the NHL will settle as well just to avoid taking a PR hit in the teeth.

This is just an unsolvable problem though. These are inherently dangerous sports, and creating a "safe" version may not resonate with the general fanbases. I feel bad for the players, but it's hard to believe that anybody who has played either football or hockey was unaware of the potentially life-changing injuries that you can get playing those sports, or that taking blows to the head repeatedly was bad for your health.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Probably, similar to how the NFL player's probably would have had they not settled. I think the NHL will settle as well just to avoid taking a PR hit in the teeth.

This is just an unsolvable problem though. These are inherently dangerous sports, and creating a "safe" version may not resonate with the general fanbases. I feel bad for the players, but it's hard to believe that anybody who has played either football or hockey was unaware of the potentially life-changing injuries that you can get playing those sports, or that taking blows to the head repeatedly was bad for your health.

It's common sense. They are looking to make a dime and so are the money and attention thirsty attorneys who talked them into it.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
I bet fighting ends somewhat soon as well.

There is honestly little the NHL could do to "end" fighting completely. It's already illegal under NHL rules, and the new helmet and visor regulations are designed to make it less practical. The most they could do is make fighting a match penalty, but even that won't stop it completely, and, in a contact sport, will probably just lead to worse alternatives, like more slashing, elbowing, or spearing, all of which would be far more detrimental to the game - and more dangerous for the players - than fighting.

The league has done a decent job getting out in front of stuff like this, where the NFL did not. It'll be interesting to see if the players settle.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
The NHL never lied about the sport being a safe sport, the nfl did

I don't know if I really buy that Dave. The NFL may not have been completely forthcoming on all the risks they knew about, or they may not have even been fully aware of all the risks, but I'm not sure how anyone could ever mistake football for being a safe sport. I also have doubts as to how many players would have been dissuaded from playing, and cashing in, even had they had all the information.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
We have two things going on here:

"The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence."

"You can't go home again."

MartyParty II would not be as good as MP I.

Interesting quote from Trotz from Josh Cooper:

“We expected him to produce, and when he decided he no longer wanted to be a part of the group, we didn’t want him to be a part of the group,†Trotz said. “Marty was a top player for a long time, and I thought he was a Nashville Predator through and through. That threw me off when he did that last year. I have my theories and I’m going to keep them to myself.â€

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Maple Leafs blew a big lead and lost 6-5 in SO to Penguins.

What is amazing is they had ZERO shots on goal in both the 3rd period and OT- no shots for the final 25 minutes- seems almost impossible

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
Interesting quote from Trotz from Josh Cooper:

“We expected him to produce, and when he decided he no longer wanted to be a part of the group, we didn’t want him to be a part of the group,†Trotz said. “Marty was a top player for a long time, and I thought he was a Nashville Predator through and through. That threw me off when he did that last year. I have my theories and I’m going to keep them to myself.â€

That is interesting. Sounds like he was told he needed to produce and felt that given all the good years he's given the Preds he didn't needed to be told that and checked out on the team. He found out in Washington that ice time is earned it isn't just given to you because of your contract and what you've done before. Stalberg went through a bit of the same thing here when he came back from injury. He's been a 3rd/4th line player and was new to the team though so it probably didn't effect him as much as Erat. Stalberg stuck it out and Trotz gave him the chance and he is now doing great. The fact that Erat is asking for a trade 2 months into the season when he was starting to get more playing time tells you he has a major attitude problem. He was totally being misused by the caps and being asked to play positions he has never played like center. Still you are being paid millions and you do what they ask of you.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
Hey, they told me I couldn't play my position anymore, and then they folded the team, and I was forced to sign with the Wisconsin DOC equivalent of Edmonton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad