Around the NHL - Episode XXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Galchenyuk, a 2020 conditional 1st round pick and Calen Addison for Jason Zucker. Zucker has 29 points in 45 games this year. Pittsburgh get hosed in my opinion.
Not sure about that. You may be looking at Galchenyuk as an additional piece rather than a cap dump.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think you're missing why the Boston thing is always discussed. They went way off the board in the deepest draft since 03 when the consensus best available two forwards/one defenseman all have become superstars.

Barzal and Connor were by far the two consensus best available forwards. Chabot and Zboril were close as consensus best defenseman, but Chabot was probably ahead of Zboril on more lists.

Sure, they went off the board and paid for it.

The point still stands: having a lot of picks doesn't guarantee anything.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Not sure about that. You may be looking at Galchenyuk as an additional piece rather than a cap dump.
Crazy what happened to the top of that draft. Yakupov and Reinhart are not in NHL. Galchenyuk is on his way out. Ryan Murray is broken down. They are supposed to be in their prime.

Reactions: TheDebater

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Nice attempt by Karlsson to mount a comeback, but otherwise Calgary played their defence like a fiddle. You love to see it

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If he doesn't turn things around Zucker will be a cap dump before that contract ends. Galchenyuk might not have added any value but an expiring contract doesn't hurt that much.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If he doesn't turn things around Zucker will be a cap dump before that contract ends. Galchenyuk might not have added any value but an expiring contract doesn't hurt that much.
No it doesn’t hurt that much. My point was teams need to pay extra when including a cap dump.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No it doesn’t hurt that much. My point was teams need to pay extra when including a cap dump.

Sure, but the extra needed to dump an expiring contract is negligible if anything. Zucker (imo) isn't worth a 1st and a prospect, adding Galchenyuk doesn't really move the needle much. Galchenyuk has about as much remaining on his contract this year as Hammond did when we allegedly threw in a third for Colorado to take him. He's also at the very least an NHL body, albeit overpaid while Hammond continued to play in our farm system because Colorado had zero use for him.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Sure, but the extra needed to dump an expiring contract is negligible if anything. Zucker (imo) isn't worth a 1st and a prospect, adding Galchenyuk doesn't really move the needle much. Galchenyuk has about as much remaining on his contract this year as Hammond did when we allegedly threw in a third for Colorado to take him. He's also at the very least an NHL body, albeit overpaid while Hammond continued to play in our farm system because Colorado had zero use for him.
Okay I see. A cost controlled great skating perennial 20 goal scorer is worth a late 1st + good prospect IMO. Just a different valuation I guess.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Okay I see. A cost controlled great skating perennial 20 goal scorer is worth a late 1st + good prospect IMO. Just a different valuation I guess.
Admittedly, I'm not very high on Zucker. You see cost controlled, I see a guy that cashed in on a career season, hasn't managed to reproduce those results since, and is now on the wrong side of his prime years.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Oh yeah, sorry for being critical of moves made by the model organization Edmonton Oilers. Nothing bad can happen there.

Sip your tea and whisper "this is fine" as you do.

So what would you have Holland do[mod]?

Nurse doesn't want to sign beyond his rfa years. Now what? Trade him? The team is battling for a badly needed playoff spot and Nurse plays important minutes

Your fantasy GM armchair and the reality of life don't really resemble one another

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: GCK

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So what would you have Holland do big brain?

Nurse doesn't want to sign beyond his rfa years. Now what? Trade him? The team is battling for a badly needed playoff spot and Nurse plays important minutes

Your fantasy GM armchair and the reality of life don't really resemble one another

Lots of time left to try and convince him to sign longer term, It's highly unusual to resign an RFA to a 2 year deal that brings them right to UFA. You could hold off and go to arbitration in needed, and then repeat the process in a year and be no worse off, at least in terms of having to re-sign him as a UFA in two years.

You're right that if the player has no interest in signing beyond his RFA years, there isn't much you can do, but I'm not sure what the rush was to get something done now was, and if he isn't willing to commit now, that could be seen as a big red flag. If they do decide to trade him in the offseason, I would think his current contract would reduce his value compared to if he was an unsigned RFA.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Admittedly, I'm not very high on Zucker. You see cost controlled, I see a guy that cashed in on a career season, hasn't managed to reproduce those results since, and is now on the wrong side of his prime years.

Zucker is a good 2nd line winger and he's being paid like one. He's not a 30+30 guy, but he should pace between 20 - 25 goals and 25 - 30 assists almost every year. He is smart and plays a responsible game. I do think he will score more in Pittsburgh, and I really don't see him falling off at all. He's only 28 and has a high IQ and very minimal injury issues. Pittsburgh got a good 2nd liner for, imo, a decent amount less than JBD/Thomson, our 2nd, and Namestnikov. If we had two franchise players in their early to mid 30s, I would pay that price in a second. I see this as an easy deal for Pittsburgh to make.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Lots of time left to try and convince him to sign longer term, It's highly unusual to resign an RFA to a 2 year deal that brings them right to UFA. You could hold off and go to arbitration in needed, and then repeat the process in a year and be no worse off, at least in terms of having to re-sign him as a UFA in two years.

You're right that if the player has no interest in signing beyond his RFA years, there isn't much you can do, but I'm not sure what the rush was to get something done now was, and if he isn't willing to commit now, that could be seen as a big red flag. If they do decide to trade him in the offseason, I would think his current contract would reduce his value compared to if he was an unsigned RFA.
This. The 2 year contract basically all but guarantees you lose your best D in 2 years (probably about a 80-90% chance). Now they are a soft contender so maybe that's the price of doing business, you can't trade those kind of guys off your roster. They win a Cup in that time period and no one cares. But that's a team that's low on cap space and liquid assets. Losing a guy like Nurse for nothing will hurt a lot. If he's a long term piece he's gonna cost a whole lot more than his new cap hit in UFA and more quality production on his resume vs what he would have gotten right now or in the summer on a 7 or 8 year deal. Like with Mark Stone, you'd rather just trade him in the offseason as a RFA rather than take the short term deal. He's more valuable that way.

Now McDavid is out 2-3 weeks. That might be enough to sewer their season. Be interesting to see if Holland does anything desperate to keep them afloat. Its such a weird roster. So many useless plugs and buried contracts and holdovers from Chiarelli. Will be interesting to see what Holland does when some of the garbage expires, but signing guys like Manning, Chiasson and Kassian make me think he'll continue in his predecessor's foot steps.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Boy, injuries are sure piling up to key players. Kadri, McDavid, now Seth Jones. Dorion has to be aggressive here

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

His current contract provides known cost certainty....an unsigned RFA does not

Not willing to sign...ya...its a redflag....but it doesn't take too big a brain to understand that sometimes life doesn't unfold in the same manner as it does in fantasy land. Calling the deal brutal .... it's far far more likely that Holland was told he would not sign away ufa years so Holland did what he could and got the guy signed for two years. Keeps him for this run. And has two opportunities to trade him at the next two TDLs. Brutal analysis is what that post was...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad