Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa

Now why you gotta go and do that..

vma-crying-2.gif

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Oilers sign Nurse to a 2 year deal to take him to UFA status. Wtf are they doing? Is Holland really that desperate to prove to us that his success in Detroit was a fluke?

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Oilers sign Nurse to a 2 year deal to take him to UFA status. Wtf are they doing? Is Holland really that desperate to prove to us that his success in Detroit was a fluke?

By signing this deal it takes him to UFA status. So he signed for a little cheaper than he would have for a long term deal.
They are hoping to sort out their cap space issue for next couple seasons.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
By signing this deal it takes him to UFA status. So he signed for a little cheaper than he would have for a long term deal.
They are hoping to sort out their cap space issue for next couple seasons.
Signs Kassian for 4 years and Nurse for 2. Absolute insanity. This is going to f*** their cap situation in a much more severe way if they do manage to sign Nurse in a couple years. Brutal.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

I'm fairly certain that this is an attempt to keep a player they are happy with but that the mess Chiarelli caused means the Oilers are cap screwed and so Holland is trying to buy time.

I understand these grey areas are hard to grasp for people who think and speak in hyperbole absolutely all the time so no worries, glad to help.

Reactions: JD1

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I'm fairly certain that this is an attempt to keep a player they are happy with but that the mess Chiarelli caused means the Oilers are cap screwed and so Holland is trying to buy time.

I understand these grey areas are hard to grasp for people who think and speak in hyperbole absolutely all the time so no worries, glad to help.
Oh yeah, sorry for being critical of moves made by the model organization Edmonton Oilers. Nothing bad can happen there.

Sip your tea and whisper "this is fine" as you do.

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
Signs Kassian for 4 years and Nurse for 2. Absolute insanity. This is going to **** their cap situation in a much more severe way if they do manage to sign Nurse in a couple years. Brutal.

Kassian is signed for much less. His salary is basically top 9 forward money - nothing out of the ordinary.

Nurse is a big commitment and he's not been a player that's performed at a top level for years. This gives them flexibility. If he's worth it, he'll get paid and the Oilers can make other adjustments.

McDavid and Draisaitl are their guys and they are locked up, that's what matters. With this cap, younger UFAs and the trend of guys getting paid on their second contracts you are going to lose guys you want to keep. The worst case scenario would be signing long term deals with the wrong guys and then find them unmovable. If Nurse is worth it in two years they can pay him and make other adjustments. If he's not, the Oilers can move on and change up the roster around the two big stars.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
They don’t have the cap space to do a long term deal. They have about 20M in space with 13 players signed. They can’t go to 8M for Nurse at this point.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
is there anything better than teams around the Sens f'ng up? look around guys, this organization can be about as bad as can be, and they may still be okay...everyone around them is just as bad, if not worse.

Has anyone taken a real good look at the 7 Canadian teams the last 10 years...The Sens are "darn near Royalty". Now add the 5-10 US based teams that are just as inept and we are happy.

stop complaining about other GMs and their bad moves..these are good things.. Imagine if Boston had taken Chabot, instead of Jubril or Barzal instead of Senyshyn!!!!!! We cannot thank Sweeny enough. We and Islander fans need to send him a Birthday card with an expensive gift each year. In fact the entire league needs to do so... those two simple moves could have meant that the Bruins are a dynasty for the next 10 years.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Oh yeah, sorry for being critical of moves made by the model organization Edmonton Oilers. Nothing bad can happen there.

Sip your tea and whisper "this is fine" as you do.

I never said it was fine although kicking the can down two years does seem fine considering the cap mess Edmonton is in.

All I did was explain what happened in terms a bit more nuanced than "what an idiot! Lol Oilers, I guess Holland never was any good LOL! See ya guys later, I'm gonna get LIT tonight"

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

It is impossible to judge without knowing what Nurse was asking for long term.

Everybody says Nurse loves being in Edmonton. I doubt they had an issue signing a long term extension a year from now. Going 1 year just to maintain RFA status has no real benefits with a good player. For a player over-performing it makes sense because the team can then explore not qualifying them for year 2. Otherwise, people freak out at the idea of "walking a player to UFA", but really it makes no difference. If they went 1 year, Nurse would have had arbitration rights. Meaning, either there's a long term contract signed or Nurse walks to UFA anyways.

The argument should be, is it better to sign Nurse long term now at a slightly lower cap hit long term but a higher one the next two years, or is it better to save cap over the next two years at the expense of cap in years 3/4/5/6/7/8.

The window to get Nurse for cheap long term has already passed. That was when he was coming off his ELC and they probably could have had him at 4.5 million ish for 8 years like other unproven defenders have signed for. Given that Nurse is already established, I don't think there'll be a big difference between what he signs for on a long term all UFA deal and what he would have signed for now on a long term deal. The difference will be related to removing the RFA years and the cap going up rather than a rise in performance.

Using Trouba as a comparison, I think when his contract is over, he'll sign 7-8 years at around 8 million. Where as if they signed him long term now, maybe they could have gotten him in the 7.25M range. Obviously, that's pure speculation. But if that guess is even close, getting him at 5.6 for the next two years makes it a wash for the Oilers, and they probably need the cap more in the short term than they will in the long term when Larsson and Russell are off the books and the cap goes up a bit.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
is there anything better than teams around the Sens f'ng up? look around guys, this organization can be about as bad as can be, and they may still be okay...everyone around them is just as bad, if not worse.

Has anyone taken a real good look at the 7 Canadian teams the last 10 years...The Sens are "darn near Royalty". Now add the 5-10 US based teams that are just as inept and we are happy.

stop complaining about other GMs and their bad moves..these are good things.. Imagine if Boston had taken Chabot, instead of Jubril or Barzal instead of Senyshyn!!!!!! We cannot thank Sweeny enough. We and Islander fans need to send him a Birthday card with an expensive gift each year. In fact the entire league needs to do so... those two simple moves could have meant that the Bruins are a dynasty for the next 10 years.

It's insane how good of a position Boston can be in after wiffing on those picks. Even if they had to trade players to make room for contract extensions to Chabot, Barzal, Connor, or whoever they should have taken, they would end up with an unprecedented amount of picks/ELC players to help add to the lineup the currently have.

The Bruins don't get enough credit for the Lucic trade though. That was one of the best returns a player with 1 year of term has gotten in the cap era. In terms of talent available, they got basically the equivalent to a top 5 pick in a regular draft, a future 1st round pick from a team that just missed the playoffs, and a good young defender.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
[mod qdp]

Mostly playing devil's advocate here, as the AAV isn't all that bad. Guys who play that style of game fall off a cliff though and I'd be (extremely) worried about the 4 year term if I were an Oilers fan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
It's insane how good of a position Boston can be in after wiffing on those picks. Even if they had to trade players to make room for contract extensions to Chabot, Barzal, Connor, or whoever they should have taken, they would end up with an unprecedented amount of picks/ELC players to help add to the lineup the currently have.

The Bruins don't get enough credit for the Lucic trade though. That was one of the best returns a player with 1 year of term has gotten in the cap era. In terms of talent available, they got basically the equivalent to a top 5 pick in a regular draft, a future 1st round pick from a team that just missed the playoffs, and a good young defender.

they have done something incredible. Whether their brilliance or dumb luck, but take a good look at their top guys. No top 10 picks..Pasternak..25th. Marchand, Bergeron, Lucic(when he was there) Krejci (in his younger days). McAvoy is the only reasonably high one. Krug, Heinen. Donato,which they flipped for Coyle.

Unreal, 2-3 possible HOFs, 2 of which are 2nd and a 3rd rounder. Can you imagine if there was no 2015 debacle or the mis-handling up of the Hamilton and Seguin trades? Like I said, this team could have been a dynasty beyond belief.

It is what keeps my faith up...others around us can mess things up real bad.

but a question that comes up..how the bleep do they get so much out of their draft, and others couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with their picks?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

A good reminder that having a bunch of first round picks doesn't guarantee anything: we had three in 2011 and two of them were total busts (although Noesen's injuries were brutal so hard to call it a full on bust).

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
A good reminder that having a bunch of first round picks doesn't guarantee anything: we had three in 2011 and two of them were total busts (although Noesen's injuries were brutal so hard to call it a full on bust).

I think you're missing why the Boston thing is always discussed. They went way off the board in the deepest draft since 03 when the consensus best available two forwards/one defenseman all have become superstars.

Barzal and Connor were by far the two consensus best available forwards. Chabot and Zboril were close as consensus best defenseman, but Chabot was probably ahead of Zboril on more lists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad