Around the NHL Discussion Part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
It really depends which player your team likes. Does the Tarasenko pick trade happen if a player that OTT likes is still available? If we have a deal in place for a top 6 C/W contingent on the other team’s preferred selection being available, does a couple spots matter?

I won’t tell anyone who to root for or that they are less of a fan of the Blues as a result. But, it seems like a reach to say a few spots won’t matter. It has mattered throughout history. It may not this time, but it also could be a very big deal.

This relies on scouting more than pick placement, though. You can't really play the what if game because you don't know who Armstrong does and doesn't like. The odds of there being a significant difference is pretty low.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Now that Nashville and LA are out I don't really care who wins. I would prefer Washington over the rest because Oshie, Ovi, and Kuznetsov, but if it's anyone else I won't care. I hope it's not the Jets just for the draft pick purposes, but there isn't a huge difference between 28th and 31st so whatever.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
that cost us a 3rd to move up a few years back. It holds more than razor thin value. Losing value to our assets is something i will never route for. Blues ride or die.
You seem to be expending a lot of emotional energy on a situation that no one on this board, or even in the Blues organization at this point, has any control over. My rooting for Winnipeg because I can't stand how entitled the Nashville fan base has become in two short years had absolutely nothing to do with the outcome of the series or the place and value of the pick Winnipeg traded to the Blues. In fact, I would argue that rooting for Winnipeg in that series could be considered therapeutic in that it allowed for a positive emotion regardless of the outcome. WIN wins the series, suck it Preds fans. WIN loses the series, yeah Blues pick. Let people enjoy things.

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
Vegas needs to win this cup, It is the perfect end to an awesome year. and then next year they will be in the draft lottery lol.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Call me selfish, but at this point I'm just rooting for some hockey to watch that I can enjoy before a long summer of not watching hockey sets in.

The Blues didn't provide a whole lot of that this year, and it will be some time before they have a chance to do it again. I'll take it where I can get it.

Reactions: Dbrownss

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
As far as the draft pick goes, it's certainly possible, and perhaps even likely, that a deal for another pick (moving up or moving back) could hinge on a couple of spots, but dose a deal for a top 6 quality player hinge on that?

Generally speaking, teams aren't moving top 6 players because there's a very specific prospect they are targeting at the end of the 1st round...they're doing it because he's a pending UFA, or too expensive, or they're rebuilding/retooling, etc., and they're looking for reasonable value for the asset they are moving. In that sense, they're probably not going to be splitting hairs over a couple of spots for a late first, which inherently has speculative value regardless of who you draft there, if they like the rest of the package otherwise.

If the Blues keep the pick, it's impossible to know how a couple of spots might affect their chances of moving up, moving back, or who they'll have a chance to draft...if we ever know some of that at all. Everything will be fluid right up until the end of the 1st round, and most of what is affected will be happening behind the scenes. Personally, I would have gotten no sense of enjoyment if that pick had ended up 27th instead of 29-31st...probably not even if it had ended up 23rd. Any benefit is completely speculative, which makes it hard for me to invest emotionally in the outcome.

Besides, that pick is the proverbial icing on a ****-filled cake of a season. I doubt it's going to taste sweet until it actually turns into something that makes me think this travesty of a season was worth enduring so the pick could be obtained.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
I have never and will never root for my team to lose asset vaule. This year is no different:

Down with the Jets,
who seem to be flying high,
Assemble the Knights,
Shoot them out the sky.

Reactions: simon in canada

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
The Stastny's deserve a cup. For me it's about Peter as much, if not more so, than it is about Paul. Would be nice for them to win one.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
The NHL will be a joke if Vegas wins. Shea Theadore and Derick England as the top pair...wtf.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
It needs to happen! it would be amazing...the two :blues players to get cups are Perron and Reaves LOL
I just dont get it.... now everyone is acting like Vegas had an unfair advantage in their draft. I remember people questioning their pick ups and some of the deals. Literally Marchessault was their best pick up and even then it was questionable given his age and how he exploded on the scene. Nobody outside of noob Vegas knights fans had this team doing anything. Gallant is an excellent coach but this is rediculous. I do love how they play though. Full throttle all the time. Its like watching someone play NHL18.

Reactions: tfriede2

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
I just dont get it.... now everyone is acting like Vegas had an unfair advantage in their draft. I remember people questioning their pick ups and some of the deals. Literally Marchessault was their best pick up and even then it was questionable given his age and how he exploded on the scene. Nobody outside of noob Vegas knights fans had this team doing anything. Gallant is an excellent coach but this is rediculous. I do love how they play though. Full throttle all the time. Its like watching someone play NHL18.
Of all the playoff teams, :vegas is the only one that I don't care if they get the cup...Well the :devils too, but that didnt go well.

bluesfanforlife1992

Jul 3, 2015

Did I expect Vegas to go far? No, but I did expect a challenge from Vegas for a playoff for 1 key reason besides Pacific not being as strong of a division.

#1 Look at all the players they picked up. Find the common theme in these players.
Karlsson, Neal, Perron, Marchessault, Sbisa, Mcnabb, Merill, Miller, Engelland, and Theodore???

All of those players are playing for contracts for the season.....

5 of the top 7 scorers for Vegas this year are free agents at the end of the year. Karsslon Marchessault Perron 1,2,3 on team then Neal at 5th and Miller at 7th (top dman point wise for them)

Like I said I didn't expect them to do this, but did expect them to possibly fighting for a WC spot like we were. I was expecting more like 85ish-90 pts.

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
How is that not a kick to the Blues nuts...... I'm actually good with Winnepeg. Love watching them play now
They are a great story. I guess I look at it differently. I really love Tampa, and if Vegas wasn't in the Picture they would be my #1 preferred, but with this crazy story of Vegas happening i just really enjoy the idea of a team that everyone wrote off comes in and consistently dominates all season and wins the cup. Could be the only time in history it happens. i like the Jets, but they are Central and I don't want any Central cup champs until its the :blues

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Just because our team has failed doesn't mean other teams have to. I would much rather be spiteful to in division teams and teams I find personally annoying.
They are a expansion team built of 3rd lines and a few ok 2nd liners.......granted I'm not upset about this years blues failing miserably. Overall though, this is a kick to the nards
They are a great story. I guess I look at it differently. I really love Tampa, and if Vegas wasn't in the Picture they would be my #1 preferred, but with this crazy story of Vegas happening i just really enjoy the idea of a team that everyone wrote off comes in and consistently dominates all season and wins the cup. Could be the only time in history it happens. i like the Jets, but they are Central and I don't want any Central cup champs until its the :blues
I hate a "Story"......this whole bad news bears cast away narrative is nauseating.
Jets Will sweep Vegas or min 4-1. Ducks and Sharks were Bad teams.
Lawd I hope so

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I hate the “story” narrative too. It’s already a story. They’ve already made it to the 3rd round and insanity exceeded expectations. It’s already historic. Why do they need to win the Cup to make it a story? They don’t.

This would be, by far, the weakest roster to ever win the Cup if they did. Engelland playing top 4 minutes? No true #1 dman? Erik Haula as the 2C?

This isn’t a Cup winning roster. Not even close.

I’d rather see a team that is actually built to win get the Cup, even if it’s Winnipeg. They are deep and just have a great roster overall. Vegas is just a team playing way over their heads. To me, there’s a difference there but to each their own.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
They are a expansion team built of 3rd lines and a few ok 2nd liners.......granted I'm not upset about this years blues failing miserably. Overall though, this is a kick to the nards

Come on, Marchessault is a great player that was being buried in florida. Pretty much all of their "3rd liners" would be better than the 3rd liners we have, and their youth are actually difference makers. They're a fun to watch team, aren't dirty, and are easy to root for. The style of play they have would be great for the league to try and emulate too. I'm more than okay with every team winning, and Winnipeg is the only team I have a reason to root against.

Last edited:
Reactions: BangarangxRufio

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Come on, Marchessault is a great player that was being buring in florida. Pretty much all of their "3rd liners" would be better than the 3rd liners we have, and their youth are actually difference makers. They're a fun to watch team, aren't dirty, and are easy to root for. The style of play they have would be great for the league to try and emulate too. I'm more than okay with every team winning, and Winnipeg is the only team I have a reason to root against.
Yes Marchessault is a great player but he had a coming out party while in Florida. I absolutely agree they are fun to watch, doesn't change my mind that they are a bunch of cast offs on a "magical" run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad