Around the NHL Discussion Part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Petrovic specifically, I believe.

Whoops. :laugh:
Petrovic or Pysyk. Neither should have been protected over Marchessault. They would have also been better off keeping Reilly Smith and could have if they went the 7/3 route.

Barkov
Bjugstad
Huberdeau
Trocheck
Marchessault
Smith
7th forward
Ekblad
Yandle
Pysyk/Petrovic

Last edited:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Golden Knights will be interesting going forward. They have guys who played themselves into massive raises based on this season. We'll see how much they end up getting off one season. They have a lot of key pieces coming up for4 at least RFA, if not UFA the next 2 years. Top 4 D in points and top 3 D in minutes are all coming up on contracts negotiations by end of next year. 6 of the Top 9 forwards by points are as well.

A team like this that is flying so far above expectations has to be relying on some unknowable secret sauce of chemistry, leadership, camaraderie, and motivation. It potentially could be a house of cards where letting one seemingly inconsequential piece go, and the whole thing falls down. They have some decisions to make over the next two years with guys who based on this year need a raise. Are they a cap team? Do they bring in a high priced free agent and ruin that working class mentality? Are their underpaid guys worth the money they'll ask for after this year in the long run? Interesting questions to which I do not begin to know the answers

Reactions: bluesfanforlife1992

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Golden Knights will be interesting going forward. They have guys who played themselves into massive raises based on this season. We'll see how much they end up getting off one season. They have a lot of key pieces coming up for4 at least RFA, if not UFA the next 2 years. Top 4 D in points and top 3 D in minutes are all coming up on contracts negotiations by end of next year. 6 of the Top 9 forwards by points are as well.

A team like this that is flying so far above expectations has to be relying on some unknowable secret sauce of chemistry, leadership, camaraderie, and motivation. It potentially could be a house of cards where letting one seemingly inconsequential piece go, and the whole thing falls down. They have some decisions to make over the next two years with guys who based on this year need a raise. Are they a cap team? Do they bring in a high priced free agent and ruin that working class mentality? Are their underpaid guys worth the money they'll ask for after this year in the long run? Interesting questions to which I do not begin to know the answers
I think McPhee should be a lock for GM of the Year, but he's going to have an uphill battle to repeat the sort of magic they've had this season.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
You're severely underrating the talent on that Golden Knights club if you think it's just effort and gumption that is getting that club past 'talent'. That club is incredibly smart, incredibly fast, unbelievably well coached and has more talent than anyone gave them credit for. You don't win a division and stack up an embarrassingly-long list of 60-point scorers (all four guys actually paced 70-points this year) with just hard work and tenaciousness, otherwise this recipe would have been discovered decades ago.
I wasn't trying to diminish the team's talent. I specifically mentioned "stars," e.g., Tarasenko, Benn, Kane, etc, being the narrative of the league, and many in this board, over the last few years. Yes, there are many guys on Vegas that have talent, we know that, but would you consider any of them to be "stars," in that sense? That was my point. The narrative has been changed. All of the "have to have a 1D, 1C", talk can stop now. Just put a good team together with talented guys that bust ass and this is what can happen.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Knights are very opportunistic and seemingly always cash in on opponents mistakes...perhaps better than any club in recent memory.

Yay draft pick! :sarcasm:

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I wasn't trying to diminish the team's talent. I specifically mentioned "stars," e.g., Tarasenko, Benn, Kane, etc, being the narrative of the league, and many in this board, over the last few years. Yes, there are many guys on Vegas that have talent, we know that, but would you consider any of them to be "stars," in that sense? That was my point. The narrative has been changed. All of the "have to have a 1D, 1C", talk can stop now. Just put a good team together with talented guys that bust ass and this is what can happen.

I think Marchessault would be considered one if he had been on a more visible team. Dude's the real deal.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Maybe Shipachyov doesn't suck...he just couldn't crack the Vegas roster because they ARE that deep...and they're all playing with the 'expansion draft' edge that Shipachyov could not.
I wouldn't say that. Shipyachev is your typical east west russian forward and Vegas plays as north south game as there is. Some hurdles with transitioning to less time and space in nhl, gallants preference for grinders and you are left with quite possibly the worst fit for him.
Kinda like spezza and Hitchcock in dallas lol.

bluesfanforlife1992

Jul 3, 2015

This was why I thought Vegas would be best expansion record. All players are playing for contracts and usually have a good year. This was why I figured they may at least give a fight to playoff spot. 85ish points, but they even shocked me more with the successful, but I don't know expect much from them the next few years especially once they finally have to decide on who to keep/who to trade/who to let go/who to sign.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Lol, I call guys younger than me kids. Only the millennials take offense :)

Are you a grammar nazi too?

:)
No, I have no idea if you actually know how old Marchessault is. He's a big name that came out of no where. Wouldn't surprise me if some thought he was younger then he is.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
E. Kane 7m x 7yrs with SJ. Ha ha! So glad he is not a Blue! What an absurd overpayment. This might take the Sharks out of the JT sweepstakes, so double good news for the Blues!!

Reactions: EastonBlues22

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
E. Kane 7m x 7yrs with SJ. Ha ha! So glad he is not a Blue! What an absurd overpayment. This might take the Sharks out of the JT sweepstakes, so double good news for the Blues!!
I was going to post about this. That is just such a dumb contract. DA isnt some Jedi with contracts but FFS.....what was SJ thinking. Congrats Evander "Money" Kane.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I understand he was good for SJ down the stretch and in the postseason but that is too much money tied up in Evander Kane.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I understand he was good for SJ down the stretch and in the postseason but that is too much money tied up in Evander Kane.
Terrible. And they have to give Buffalo a 1st for signing him. Can't imagine wanting to pay a first round pick to dramatically overpay Kane. And I happen to think Kane is pretty good player who gets a bit of bad rap for previous immaturity.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
And the Sharks don’t have a good prospect pool. Losing a 1st hurts them more than it would a team like, us, for example.

Happy to see it though lol.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
A bit conflicted, honestly.

Potentially having one less competitor for Tavares is nice, but a bullish UFA market might push more teams into the trade market, and that's probably not particularly good for the Blues at this point.

Reactions: Stealth JD

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis

I really don't think he would of gotten that kind of offer if he had hit free agency. Nobody bucked up at the trade deadline for him. The Sharks just outbid themselves. I could see a 4 year deal in the 5.5M to 6M range but that would be it.

Reactions: Blueston
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad