Around the NHL Discussion Part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
What a disaster Edmonton is in right now. They are going to feel the pain when McDavid's 10.5 million dollar contract kicks in and Nurse and Puljujärvi demand new contracts. Draisaitl is being paid 8.5 million to passenger the third line. Yikes.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I love that as soon as they win a game the media trumpets how they've turned it around and they are going on a run. Then they lose again

Reactions: BangarangxRufio

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I was 100% wrong about EDM. I bought into the hype, I thought they’d be an easy WCF team.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I was 100% wrong about EDM. I bought into the hype, I thought they’d be an easy WCF team.
Same here. I thought previously it would be a flawed roster but last year they made it work, so I gave them the nod. Turns out it was a flawed roster and chiapet is still the worst GM in the league. They keep blaming it on their missing Sekera. While that may hold some truth....its also the problem. If missing Sekera is your problem....your defense sucks

Reactions: The Note

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Talbot not posting the numbers he did last year is part of the problem too. His GAA is 3.00 compared to 2.39 last year and his save % is at .903 compared to .919. He’s having a weaker year than last year and it’s not masking some of the flaws with the roster. I do agree their defense remains a problem and forward depth is lacking. Those Russell and Lucic contracts are ugly as well. If they get 1st OA again, I’ll probably just laugh.

Thallis

Progression is not linear
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
What a disaster Edmonton is in right now. They are going to feel the pain when McDavid's 10.5 million dollar contract kicks in and Nurse and Puljujärvi demand new contracts. Draisaitl is being paid 8.5 million to passenger the third line. Yikes.

McDavid is one of the few in the league where 10.5 doesn't hurt you at all. Keep Maroon on his wing and you have an effective duo for the price of 1 premiere player. Drai is too high for a second contract. Pulujarvi hasn't shown much, he should be bridged. Lock up Nurse long term for the off ELC defenseman going rate. The team is still in good position moving forward, and people blaming Chia are jumping the gun right now. Hall for Larsson was the correct move. Get another good puck mover on D, a bit more speed in the middle 6 and they'll be fine.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
They are 9 points back with 50 games to go, I still expect them to make the playoffs. It's funny that despite their struggles, they are 4-1-0 within their Division this season.

They do need to do something soon.

Also, the McDavid contract is $12.5m.

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
12.5, sorry. But to be honest, I don't have much trust in Chia to acquire those pieces without overpaying. Kinda funny that the team is desperate for winger help now that Eberle and Hall are gone.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I know the Preds are playing great hockey right now, but DAMN are their fans getting a little too cocky. Some are talking like they're the next Blackhawks/Penguins. I personally hope some team beats them in round 1 this year. I mean, at least most Hawks fans didn't get obnoxious until after the 2010 Cup.

Sorry, I know I sound bitter but it's kind of annoying.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Minnesota, Dallas, and Colorado all thought the same thing. One year later for those teams and everything is different. Nashville is a different beast, but I don't think they are any better than a healthy Blues team. They're the Island of Misfit Toys - they don't have a Kane, Toews, or Keith. Forsberg, Johnasen, and Josi are just not as good as those players were in the cup years (maybe Josi at best), and I don't think Rinne can hold up over the next 6 years (what the Hawks have done); Rinne is already 35.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Minnesota, Dallas, and Colorado all thought the same thing. One year later for those teams and everything is different. Nashville is a different beast, but I don't think they are any better than a healthy Blues team. They're the Island of Misfit Toys - they don't have a Kane, Toews, or Keith. Forsberg, Johnasen, and Josi are just not as good as those players were in the cup years (maybe Josi at best), and I don't think Rinne can hold up over the next 6 years (what the Hawks have done); Rinne is already 35.
You forgot Saros?

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
You forgot Saros?
Saros isn't Rinne, and I don't think he'll be ready full-time until at least 19-20. By then Josi will be getting his new contract and Ellis will be getting a major raise. Their window closes in between the time it takes for Saros to become a good starter, and then it opens again. The next two years are go time for the Preds, and then after that they've got to start playing with a fair cap.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Saros isn't Rinne, and I don't think he'll be ready full-time until at least 19-20. By then Josi will be getting his new contract and Ellis will be getting a major raise. Their window closes in between the time it takes for Saros to become a good starter, and then it opens again. The next two years are go time for the Preds, and then after that they've got to start playing with a fair cap.

Not to mention, the cap hit that they recapture upon Weber retiring (I'm sure he will sustain a career ending injury that would allow it to all fall under LTIR). But in 2025-26, if he is not on LTIR his cap hit would be $24.5 Million. :eek:

Reactions: RoarBacon

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I know the Preds are playing great hockey right now, but DAMN are their fans getting a little too cocky. Some are talking like they're the next Blackhawks/Penguins. I personally hope some team beats them in round 1 this year. I mean, at least most Hawks fans didn't get obnoxious until after the 2010 Cup.

Sorry, I know I sound bitter but it's kind of annoying.
Imagine what it would be if Canadian team made scf.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Vegas is currently at the top of their divison and took out the Lightning last night. They certainly look like they could make some noise this year. The scary thing is the huge amount of draft picks they hold over the next couple of years. They are going to be a force for a long time it appears.

culex

Oct 23, 2016
Hi guys,

Question - what were your guys' overall thoughts on Shattenkirk when he was with your team?

I guess to back track a bit, I know a lot of you guys said he wasn't this power house top pairing of a guy and in fact, would often be fairly poor when it came to his defensive-type play. Well, after having watched him for a few months now, I think I understand where you guys are coming from. He's not always the best in his own defensive end, and oddly enough, I don't think he's the best in the offensive either (well, comparatively speaking....when I think about the type of style the Rangers play with cycling/pinching defensemen). However, he has been a HUGE help on our PP (it's been terribly for many years) as well, I think he has helped in our transition game a little more when skating the puck out.

What I'm most curious about:

1) How effective was he to your team given the type of style you guys might play (or played)?
2) What were the strongest and/or weakest aspects of his game?​

I can't say I'm entirely upset with him but I am trying to better understand him as a player.

Thanks so much!

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Shattery's blueline play is one of the best in NHL and his shot finds most of time in the net, but either on that he's meh.
I can't answer to your 1st question maybe EB22, but in 2nd his weakest are in game are defensive game and playing 50%. He's lazy as hell. He can play tough 1on1 battles, but majority of time he plays soft and too slow. He will get caught too many times at d-zone when going first in the corners take the puck and forward forecheck get him out of guard, turnover machine. You could say that his gamestyle looks like he plays 5on5 game with powerplay style. Slow start behind the net and carry the puck with slow tempo, set-up style of hockey.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Remember when few Blues memberd where vocal about Teräväinen and him sucking. Not top 6 forward. Oh well.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Remember when few Blues memberd where vocal about Teräväinen and him sucking. Not top 6 forward. Oh well.
No, I don't remember that. Teravainen was picked at #18. We picked Schmaltz, (a pick I still question!), at #25. I don't remember the Blues having an option to draft Teravainen.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
To be fair...if that was said of TT, it probably was while he wasn’t a top-6 forward and was sucking. Fortunately for him, he got better.
TT didn't get real change on Chicago on top6 role. Blues members thought it was good they get rid off TT, 'cus he sucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->