Around the NHL Discussion Part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Have to hope the Avs faulter down the stretch like Dallas.

vs LA
vs Vegas
@ Vegas
vs Philly
vs Chicago
@ Ducks
@ LA
@ Sharks

Ducks are playing very well and should make the playoffs

LA has an easier schedule:

@ Avs
@ Oilers
vs Flames
vs Arizona
@ Ducks
vs Avs
vs Wild
vs Dallas

LA has been collapsing down the stretch in previous years and it'll take another to miss the playoffs

Last edited:

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Can he be used in the playoffs?
I think because he was already their draft pick and property, he could be used in the playoffs. I may be in the minority, but I don't see Nashville making it back to the SCF. I think Winnipeg or one of the West Coast teams will end up knocking them out for some reason.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I think because he was already their draft pick and property, he could be used in the playoffs. I may be in the minority, but I don't see Nashville making it back to the SCF. I think Winnipeg or one of the West Coast teams will end up knocking them out for some reason.

Ah, that makes sense. I was wondering if that made a difference or not.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Yeap when a player is drafted their are automatically placed on the clubs reserve list. So he will be eligible.

Kinda like Sobotka, Blues owned his rights so he was just moved to the inactive/reserve list.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
Probably comes down to one of three teams making the playoffs: the Blues, Dallas or Anaheim.

In other news, Nashville signed Tolvanen to an ELC...he's joining the big club for the stretch run.

I guess the silver lining here is that they will now have to protect or expose him in the Seattle expansion draft if I'm not mistaken.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

Nashville is the team to beat, imo. Reigning WC champs, and they’ve only gotten better. A WPG-NSH series would be insane though.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Nashville is the team to beat, imo. Reigning WC champs, and they’ve only gotten better. A WPG-NSH series would be insane though.

I know they are the team to beat but how often is the team who is expected to make it actually do it? I think Nashville loses in 2nd or 3rd round.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I guess the silver lining here is that they will now have to protect or expose him in the Seattle expansion draft if I'm not mistaken.
I believe this is true. However, Nashville fans have stated that it won't be an issue for them to protect him because Josi will be a UFA during the expansion draft so he won't take up a protection slot for them (i.e. they can leave Josi unprotected, Seattle won't draft him because he might not sign with them, then Nashville can simply re-sign Josi after the expansion draft).

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I believe this is true. However, Nashville fans have stated that it won't be an issue for them to protect him because Josi will be a UFA during the expansion draft so he won't take up a protection slot for them (i.e. they can leave Josi unprotected, Seattle won't draft him because he might not sign with them, then Nashville can simply re-sign Josi after the expansion draft).
That seems incredibly risky.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I don't see how EVERY player on Nashville who has a team friendly deal stays that way. I think eventually, they're going to be losing some guys who want to get paid. I know winning is winning, but I can't see Josi, Subban, Ellis, and Ekholm all staying long term for cheaper contracts because that will hurt comparable players as well.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
That seems incredibly risky.
Yup. :dunno:

I think it happened for a couple UFA players during the Vegas expansion, but can't recall exact names off the top of my head. Not sure it was anyone on Josi's level tho. Regardless, if Josi clearly wants to re-sign in Nashville then it probably wouldn't make sense for Seattle to waste a draft spot on him, especially if the perds have to leave another good/decent young player exposed.

I don't see how EVERY player on Nashville who has a team friendly deal stays that way. I think eventually, they're going to be losing some guys who want to get paid. I know winning is winning, but I can't see Josi, Subban, Ellis, and Ekholm all staying long term for cheaper contracts because that will hurt comparable players as well.
Agreed, which I think is a big part of the reason why they made all-in moves at the TDL and are activating Tolvanen this year. Poile probably understands this point better than either of us...I'd imagine it's easier for a GM to ask a guy to take a discount if you've just won a cup or two :laugh:

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Agreed, which I think is a big part of the reason why they made all-in moves at the TDL and are activating Tolvanen this year. Poile probably understands this point better than either of us...I'd imagine it's easier for a GM to ask a guy to take a discount if you've just won a cup or two :laugh:

I just don't think Nashville will win it this year. Everything looks setup for them to win and it never actually happens that way. I think it'll be Winnipeg or a West Coast team that makes it and the East wins again. Maybe not Pittsburgh, but an East team will win this year. Lightning are kind of my second team so I'll pick them.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

I think it happened for a couple UFA players during the Vegas expansion, but can't recall exact names off the top of my head. Not sure it was anyone on Josi's level tho. Regardless, if Josi clearly wants to re-sign in Nashville then it probably wouldn't make sense for Seattle to waste a draft spot on him, especially if the perds have to leave another good/decent young player exposed.

Oshie, Eaves and Russell were all UFAs, were all left unprotected, and all signed with the current team between the June 20th (expansion draft) and July 1st (free agency). Can't say that was intentional, but I would be willing to bet Vegas would have picked Oshie if signed and available.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

How likely is it that they'll have another decent player exposed? Seattle would be getting 29 other players, another bottom-6 forward could be signed in UFA if that is what they are desperate for.

They would take Josi and spend 2 weeks selling him on how great Seattle is and throwing money at him. If he doesn't sign? Oh well, it was worth the risk. Nashville have now got to hope Josi doesn't get his head turned by the other GM's calling him after the draft.

It's why we will sign Pietrangelo and likely protect 4 defensemen and 4 forwards.

Reactions: PiggySmalls

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
How likely is it that they'll have another decent player exposed? Seattle would be getting 29 other players, another bottom-6 forward could be signed in UFA if that is what they are desperate for.

They would take Josi and spend 2 weeks selling him on how great Seattle is and throwing money at him. If he doesn't sign? Oh well, it was worth the risk. Nashville have now got to hope Josi doesn't get his head turned by the other GM's calling him after the draft.

It's why we will sign Pietrangelo and likely protect 4 defensemen and 4 forwards.

All of this assuming that the draft rules stay the same. I’m not so sure they will.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
All of this assuming that the draft rules stay the same. I’m not so sure they will.
I would be extremely surprised if it wasn't the same, especially after they said so at the GM's meeting. The NHL's position was that they wanted the expansion team to have a decent roster, and that worked. The Seattle franchise will be paying significantly more than Vegas, so they'll be expecting similar rules.

Also, Vegas aren't in the position they are because of overly generous expansion draft rules. They are in the position because GMGM done a good job, other GM's made ridiculously stupid deals and they are getting career years out of players.

The Anaheim, Minnesota and Columbus trades were all 100% mismanagement by those GM's. Anaheim and Minnesota had all the time they needed to move Vatanen & Scandella and they didn't do it. Jarmo paid a stupid price to rid himself of Clarkson. Florida seems to have been about their budget, and they made a terrible decision after Smith had a rough year.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009

So basically the blues are going to lose someone important.
I'm assuming the d protected would be pietrangelo, parayko, edmundson and Dunn but then the forwards would probably be tarasenko, Schwartz, schenn and Thomas? (Assuming Thomas plays well)

That leaves some good players exposed.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I'm assuming the d protected would be pietrangelo, parayko, edmundson and Dunn but then the forwards would probably be tarasenko, Schwartz, schenn and Thomas? (Assuming Thomas plays well)

Even assuming Thomas plays in the NHL next year, he would be a second year pro, thus exempt.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.

I think Armstrong will do what a lot of gm’s did with GMGM this past summer. Trade a pick+lower end player to keep our own guys.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Kings are more catchable than the Avs but are beating the Avs tonight. We may well have to go the rest of the way with only one-two losses to have a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad