Around the NHL Discussion Part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Backes got his right leg cut pretty bad. Bruins said it required alot of stitches. I saw the video, his sock turned red really quick.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Now that Ty Rattie has 2 goals and 1 assist in 4 games (4th game is ongoing at the moment), I'm curious if Oilers' fans will start proclaiming that they found a gem. I always like to root for underdogs, but Rattie had an empty-netter, and his goal today was a fluke goal (although a smart shot) off the goalie's pads/back after a goalie turnover.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Now that Ty Rattie has 2 goals and 1 assist in 4 games (4th game is ongoing at the moment), I'm curious if Oilers' fans will start proclaiming that they found a gem. I always like to root for underdogs, but Rattie had an empty-netter, and his goal today was a fluke goal (although a smart shot) off the goalie's pads/back after a goalie turnover.
He’s yet to beat a set NHL goalie with his wrist shot. Only goals have come off rebounds or bounces off his pants. He’s a nothing player. If the Oilers think they have something more than a one dimensional AHL scorers they’re wrong.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
That Bishop injury doesn’t look good after just returning from a knee injury.

Dallas down 3-1 in Winnipeg in the second.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Isn't his career P/60 incredible. Majority of his points have been complete flukes.

Reactions: ezcreepin

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
For Dallas

at Washington
Boston
Vancouver
Flyers
at Minnesota
Minnesota
at Sharks
at Anaheim
at Kings

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012

That's a rebound and the goalie isn't set. Show me him scoring a goal like Soshnikov did last night. Enter the zone, get the puck in the slot, beat the goalie. You can't, because he's never done it. His one NHL quality skill is his wrist shot and he's never beaten an NHL goalie cleanly with it in half a season's worth of games. He's a nothing player.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
That's a rebound and the goalie isn't set. Show me him scoring a goal like Soshnikov did last night. Enter the zone, get the puck in the slot, beat the goalie. You can't, because he's never done it. His one NHL quality skill is his wrist shot and he's never beaten an NHL goalie cleanly with it in half a season's worth of games. He's a nothing player.

That is a huge stretch. Ward is at the top of his crease in good position at the time the shot is taken and Rattie goes top corner. And after doing that, he got 8 minutes that game and was sent down immediately after. That was the story of half his career. Dude is an awkward as hell skater, so it's still a long shot for him to be an impact player, but I've never seen more people actively root against a young player like I have Rattie.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
How many points does he need to finish with to win the Norris? 60?
He probably can't.

For him to have a chance then the Blues need to make the playoffs and he needs to create point separation from Hedman and Subban. Doughty will be in the running it the Kings make it.

Burns and Karlsson have no chance. Klingberg probably only enters the discussion if he ends up the scoring leader and Dallas makes the playoffs.

It's a nonsense award.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
That is a huge stretch. Ward is at the top of his crease in good position at the time the shot is taken and Rattie goes top corner. And after doing that, he got 8 minutes that game and was sent down immediately after. That was the story of half his career. Dude is an awkward as hell skater, so it's still a long shot for him to be an impact player, but I've never seen more people actively root against a young player like I have Rattie.
That's not a stretch in the least bit. There's a shot off the pad, Rattie gathers the rebound and puts it in the net. Notice how JK screams "rebound!" right before Rattie puts it into the net. Ward is moving from his right to left trying to get into position just as the shot is released. He's recovering from a previous save after he kicked out a rebound.

I'm not rooting against Rattie. I'm just kind of over him in the same way I'm over Jaskin. They're not unproven. They're very proven to be essentially worthless NHLers(though Jaskin at least can play a physical role, but does next to nothing else worthwhile). I rooted for Rattie for many years and I thought he was going to be something special. He's not, though. I'm just calling a spade a spade. He's 25, which is not particularly young and past the goal-scoring prime of the average forward(same age as Schwartz, a year younger than Tarasenko), been in 3 different organizations, none of which thought he was anything more than a depth forward and they're right. He's a good, but not great, AHL depth forward who you can call up in case of an injury to a skill player. Basically nothing. A guy you can sign for nearly league minimum every offseason. He's Kenny Agostino, Chris Terry, Teemu Pulkkinen etc.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
That's not a stretch in the least bit. There's a shot off the pad, Rattie gathers the rebound and puts it in the net. Notice how JK screams "rebound!" right before Rattie puts it into the net. Ward is moving from his right to left trying to get into position just as the shot is released. He's recovering from a previous save after he kicked out a rebound

I'm not saying that there wasn't a rebound, I'm saying that Ward got set. If there was no rebound and Rattie had the puck in that position, Ward would have played it the exact same way that he did. Pause the video as Rattie is about to release the payment, and Ward is in position, has stopped moving, and ready for a shot.

I say people are rooting against him because of the general tone that gets used around him and has been since he was even with us. He gets 3 points in two games and tfriede pre-emptively jumps in to declare him as a nothing player who has only ever scored because of luck. It's just going out of the way to hate on a guy who has less than a half season played at the NHL level. Will he become a regular NHLer? Probably not, but stranger things have happened, and I wouldn't say we put Rattie in a position to succeed in his time here.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
If Petro hits fire and gets to 20-goals, that would be a sexy-as-hell number and give him a shot at the Norris. But only if the Blues make the playoffs, and LA (Doughty) & DAL (Klingberg) do not. He's currently tied with Subban & Hamilton for the league-lead in goals by D-men.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I’m jealous of the Bruins’ system. Took em awhile to turn the bus around, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Marchand and Bergeron win another cup before they’re done. Sweeney took a lot of crap in the early going, but he’s loaded them up with a ton of really high quality prospects that are looking very prepared when called upon. Good for them

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
If Petro hits fire and gets to 20-goals, that would be a sexy-as-hell number and give him a shot at the Norris. But only if the Blues make the playoffs, and LA (Doughty) & DAL (Klingberg) do not. He's currently tied with Subban & Hamilton for the league-lead in goals by D-men.

If anyone not named Hedman wins, it will be a travesty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad