Around The NHL - Back in the Saddle Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
acquire him NOW! At least he can score. They could practice the shot in practice and do drills to best make it work for other players as well. Of course, our shooters' accuracies may not allow it.

We could also acquire some new players with big rears to make it work more efficiently

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Have been watching quite a lot of The Lightning because why not and also game times are more favourable to me.

It is fascinating how much of their performance is based on intelligence on the ice that is capitalised (obviously) by some top end skills.

A lot of the work, with or without the puck- is centered about having a purpose to any action. Nothing is done without a good reason and all the players are focused on that.

Stick always on the ice, skating trajectory to always disrupt passing lanes and one D man really watching from the back, reading 'what's left' of the forecheck. Forecheckes will know when to go straight and hit a body and when to skate round and disrupt a pass.

When the opposite D is pinned down and manage an errant pass out of the D zone, Tampa's watching Dman will find a player and resend the puck with a one touch pass back in. It is suffocating, relentless and generally ends up with a scoring chance or a penalty on which they will capitalise on.

Dumping the puck in the offensive zone without any of their own forwards challenging the pass/dump is a very rare occurence. No freebies for the opponent.

When their D is under pressure, they often use a towering slow clearance to gain seconds to exit or change lines. The sort of lobed pucks (up and under in rugby) are very difficult to handle for the opponents. I have not seen many teams doing that this regularly/often so far but it seems to be a great strategy.

Again a lot of this is based on intelligence, awareness and a decent looking system that causes trouble to any opponent, and lead to penalties. Something that more teams - including the Coyotes- might be able to do.

The skill players then make them pay on the PP - obviously here Tampa has an edge. Diabolically efficient.

Personally I think unheralded Brayden Point is absolutely essential to this team.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
lol. Good for him. I still don’t think he’s an nhl goalie but glad he didn’t go out with that last game in AZ as his last game in the show.

He’s got a pretty solid team in front of him so that helped.

That last game he played for us he looked nervous as hell in goal all night long as if someone was over behind the grassy knoll. But I agree he’s not an NHL regular.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
I can see him winning the cup this year. Budaj is injury prone, Domingue has been good for their AHL affiliate, he has been good last night so he might become their full time backup at some point.

That would be some season for him :rolleyes:

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Bill Daly =

" And here are the 2018 lottery results! ... With the 31st pick... The Phoe...euh Arizona Coyotes!!"

Unpaid teenage boy next to Bill Daly =

"-But the odds - and we set them- said it would be impossible for the team with the worst record to draft any further than 15th...?"

"Let it go kid, the Coyotes pick 31st!"

Reactions: CC96
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad