Around the NHL 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Carolina also only has five drafted players on their roster...

They also have 2 listed as "Offer Sheet". :laugh:

That is a little misleading since Aho was drafted by them and they matched the OS. Still, his current contract was an OS. There can't be many of those in the league. Pretty sure no other team has 2 of them.

A lot of FA signings on their roster, mostly lower on the depth chart.

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Yeah, so? I didn't say they had 5. I said I counted 5. :laugh:

76021480.jpg

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I believe they have to tender a qualifying offer for it to reach arbitration (and KK reject the QO), otherwise my understanding is that without a QO he hits UFA status long before arbitration.
Teams can take a player to arbitration before the QO - but as surixon said, the team's offer can't be less than 85% of his prior year, so $5.185M.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Just out of curiosity, I counted the number of drafted players on each team's roster. Habs at 5 6 are not the lowest, but they are close. Jets are highest at 13 - that includes Brian Little. I counted all players listed on CF for all teams, so that is consistent.

There are 3 teams with 12; CBJ, NJD and Philly. Two have 11; NYI and Ducks. Most of the rest fall between 5 & 10, except for the 3 lowest. They are Arizona with 4, no surprise there as they have been trading most everyone with value for picks, full on rebuild mode and VGK with just 1. They are a new team but have gone through 5 drafts now and have only managed to promote 1 player, despite having 28 picks in their first 3 drafts. They have traded away 3 players from their first draft who have played a fair number of games in the NHL. Then there is Seattle who have none, of course. Will they get to 2 before VGK does?

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Pretty much a saw off imo between Canes & Habs with the real winner being Arizona.

Offset pretty much by the "Born Loser" factor that accompanies anything the Coyotes do. It's more like it's a monster pot between three players and they all wind up with the same hand, so they all get their money back less their share of the rake and the bad beat drop ;)

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Methinks it was more about a warning to not OS their players.
I can't see anyone OSing any of their players for the forseeable future.

And honestly, is there anything wrong with that? I'm not sure if it was this forum that I made the comparison to poker where there are "dick moves" that are technically legal and within your rights but by and large, their invocation is a chilling of the room at a minimum. And if one pulls such a move on you, you might wait for the right opportunity to return in kind, to send a message, yeah? Like you said, seems exactly what's happened here. I expect significantly fewer offer sheets going Carolina's way lately.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
And honestly, is there anything wrong with that? I'm not sure if it was this forum that I made the comparison to poker where there are "dick moves" that are technically legal and within your rights but by and large, their invocation is a chilling of the room at a minimum. And if one pulls such a move on you, you might wait for the right opportunity to return in kind, to send a message, yeah? Like you said, seems exactly what's happened here. I expect significantly fewer offer sheets going Carolina's way lately.

I doubt it will have that big of an impact. It seems Montreal was quite fine to let an ok player go and go out and use what they got for an upgraded piece.

The Canes are now stuck paying a third line player $6 million and have their own young player who outscored KK by a decent margin needing a contract next offseason. I imagine this contract will bite them in their negotiation with Necas next season.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I doubt it will have that big of an impact. It seems Montreal was quite fine to let an ok player go and go out and use what they got for an upgraded piece.

The Canes are now stuck paying a third line player $6 million and have their own young player who outscored KK by a decent margin needing a contract next offseason. I imagine this contract will bite them in their negotiation with Necas next season.

If anything, I hope it emboldens other GM's to risk the Wrath of Dhan (or is it Tham?) and trigger more ill-conceived knee jerk responses that force them off a sensible long term plan. I wish Waddell as much success with the Jerks as he had with the Thrashers.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

I agree with you. What are your thoughts on KK signing a long-term deal at a reasonable price? It wouldn’t surprise me if he does re-up, but I also thinks it benefits him to either ask for his QO or just go straight to free agency as a 22 year old former top pick playing a premium position who has shown flashes.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I agree with you. What are your thoughts on KK signing a long-term deal at a reasonable price? It wouldn’t surprise me if he does re-up, but I also thinks it benefits him to either ask for his QO or just go straight to free agency as a 22 year old former top pick playing a premium position who has shown flashes.

I guess his strategy depends on how his year plays out. I know that unless I got a worthwhile offer by the Canes in January (Likely only happening with a good start) I am using the leverage I have and gunning for my QO or for them to take me to arbitration which will set the floor of my contract at $5.2 ish million.

If they elect not to offer it well I am stil a 22 year old former 3rd overall that will have numerous suiters in the FA market.

Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I guess his strategy depends on how his year plays out. I know that unless I got a worthwhile offer by the Canes in January (Likely only happening with a good start) I am using the leverage I have and gunning for my QO or for them to take me to arbitration which will set the floor of my contract at $5.2 ish million.

If they elect not to offer it well I am stil a 22 year old former 3rd overall that will have numerous suiters in the FA market.
These are my thoughts too. I know I’ve been criticized for similar rhetoric on these boards, and it seems many a folk surmise that KK will sign long-term at a reasonable rate.

I’m not the brightest light in the harbour at all times, so I could be missing something obvious, but I just don’t see any incentive for KK to do that. Like you said, he either starts with his QO or goes to the FA bidding war which will have suitors.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
These are my thoughts too. I know I’ve been criticized for similar rhetoric on these boards, and it seems many a folk surmise that KK will sign long-term at a reasonable rate.

I’m not the brightest light in the harbour at all times, so I could be missing something obvious, but I just don’t see any incentive for KK to do that. Like you said, he either starts with his QO or goes to the FA bidding war which will have suitors.

If the Canes make him a good offer he likey takes it but I doubt he signs for some massive discount for long term. Given what has come out about him being unhappy with his usage and some subtle shots by Bergivin the kid believes he should have a bigger role. As such I see the kid betting on himself to improve over the next few years. He won't take a significant discount this January for much the same way Laine wasn't taking one long term after his down year a couple of years ago or this past summer where he signed his$7.5 million QO.

I'm guessing they will need to be in the $5 million range on a mid to long term deal to get him ink it.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
If anything, I hope it emboldens other GM's to risk the Wrath of Dhan (or is it Tham?) and trigger more ill-conceived knee jerk responses that force them off a sensible long term plan. I wish Waddell as much success with the Jerks as he had with the Thrashers.

As a fan of a team with a GM easily the least likely to be goaded into a pissing match, I hope every other team continues with these synergy-defying pissing matches :)

And if anyone knows a good antonym to "synergy", I'm all ears. Seriously. What is "the whole is LESS than the sum of its parts"? I always go with "dysergy", maybe it's "antergy" but I know I got a few fellow word nerds on here. In particular, I expect an answer in sonnet form from @kanadalainen and/or from @sipowicz in four-letter-word form ;)

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
If the Canes make him a good offer he likey takes it but I doubt he signs for some massive discount for long term. Given what has come out about him being unhappy with his usage and some subtle shots by Bergivin the kid believes he should have a bigger role. As such I see the kid betting on himself to improve over the next few years. He won't take a significant discount this January for much the same way Laine wasn't taking one long term after his down year a couple of years ago or this past summer where he signed his$7.5 million QO.

I'm guessing they will need to be in the $5 million range on a mid to long term deal to get him ink it.
I dont see anyway Kotkaniemi gets $5m from anyone. He would have to significantly improve.

He will hit FA but unless there is something completely disfunctional (ADA? Lol) in that locker room he will sign a reasonable short term contract for 2 or 3 years. I think he has to know a 3rd team in 3 years has to be bad for his development too.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I really don't have the faith some of you do in the Habs. I think they will struggle. I'm seeing the Atlantic:

Bolts
Cats
Leaves
Bruins
Habs
Sens
Who cares

And I really am not confident the Habs finish above the Sens after the back half of the season they had.

Losing Weber is a problem. Everyone now needs to move up a slot. Does anyone really believe Chariot is going to look near as good without Weber. We know the difference between Chariot with and without Buff. He's a bottom pair Dman who can be a complimentary player to a star who does most of the work.

I think the Habs relied on the match up game with Danault pretty heavily. Habs fans seem to have forgotten how proud they were of Danault for shutting down McDrai and other top lines. Who does that now? Dvorak? That Timbit Evans? Its got to be Suzuki now doesn't it? That's a big step up in competition from last year. How often is Suzuki going to come out on top Vs. Matthews, Barkov, Point and Bergeron?

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
As a fan of a team with a GM easily the least likely to be goaded into a pissing match, I hope every other team continues with these synergy-defying pissing matches :)

And if anyone knows a good antonym to "synergy", I'm all ears. Seriously. What is "the whole is LESS than the sum of its parts"? I always go with "dysergy", maybe it's "antergy" but I know I got a few fellow word nerds on here. In particular, I expect an answer in sonnet form from @kanadalainen and/or from @sipowicz in four-letter-word form ;)

As synonym is to antonym
I think synergy is to antergy. :laugh:
Sorry, no literary creativity.

Edit: Hmmmm, that doesn't quite do it either.

Mutually parasitic may describe it, but what is the word that means mutually parasitic?

Last edited:
Reactions: AlphaLackey

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island

The closest phrase might be 'mutually parasitic' - they can consume each other, and, due to metaphorical digestive inefficiencies, will leech away value over time.

Reactions: JetsUK and surixon

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I don't see them as 3rd overall again, no, but I think calling them out of the playoffs is an overreaction to those changes. ADA can actually play (if he keeps his attitude in check, a big if) and Kotkaniemi isn't replacing a better player in the lineup. Any team with Aho and Svechnikov is a playoff contender for sure.

i said i wouldnt be surprised if they didn't make the POs. I think they'll be a PO bubble team which they were basically the 2 years prior to last (they made the POs by 3 pts each of those years - after extrapolating the shortened 19-20 year). they went from top-3 goaltending in the nhl to a guy who sported a 895 and 909 the past 2 seasons as their likely starter. Toronto also faired better in xGA than Carolina during those 2 years too. ADA is good offensively and bad defensively, sure he can play, but i don't see their D group being better than last year with ADA being subbed-in for Hamilton. Division/Conference is tough.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Of course they grade the Leafs the highest. What a joke! I really don’t think they are any better than the newly constructed Jets defence.

They’ve got Logan Stanley ahead of Thomas Chabot so I wouldn’t take it too seriously..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad