Around the NHL 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I thought you couldn’t offer a significantly lower $$ to RFAs after a high contract - like you can dip a bit but not go from 6.1m to like $4m

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I thought you couldn’t offer a significantly lower $$ to RFAs after a high contract - like you can dip a bit but not go from 6.1m to like $4m

You can sign them to any contract after Jan 1st. If it gets to next summer though the Canes will have to offer him his QO or take him to arbitration or they risk loosing him for nothing.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Unfortunately given what I know about how some hockey players are, I wouldn't be surprised if a good 50% at least didn't care or thought he has paid the price, etc.

This has nothing to do with Logan Mailloux and all to do with Montreal constantly moving him around the lineup, sending him to Laval after a year with the team, and benching him in the playoffs. Playing with Aho is a big plus too.

Well, a predictable if weird end to this offer sheet. Cue a long and fervent Dvorak love-in from jilted Habs fans. And from their sofas around the world ambitious and frustrated young NHLers are watching and wondering…

upload_2021-9-4_22-0-9.jpeg

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
You can sign them to any contract after Jan 1st. If it gets to next summer though the Canes will have to offer him his QO or take him to arbitration or they risk loosing him for nothing.

I also believe he can still resign with Carolina at a lower cost after not being offered a qualifying offer.

I seem to recall that happened with the Jets a few years ago. Jets didn't tender a qualifying offer but the player agreed to resign at a lower amount. Chevy even told the media not to worry about the news and left the door open on the player staying with the team regardless. Can't recall who the player was though.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Habs will be hard pressed to make the the playoff this year, losing Danault and now KK, Weber, Byron and even pos Perry will make it hard especially if Price goes back to his regular season self. Adding Hoffman might help scoring wise, Matty P doesn't have much left and Savard on D is hit and miss.
They f***ed, and I'm here for it.

Reactions: bustamente

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well... technically Little was our 1C for many many years

I think Suzuki is projected to be their 1C very soon though - but Dvorak wins faceoffs and that’s important

for a late offseason trade, this is a huge win and they are better with Dvorak than KK...

Well Little produced at a 60 plus point pace for most of the years he was our number 1 center so a bit different.

I like Dvorak as a player but he is an OK 2C which sure is an upgrade on where KK is at currently. But the Habs also lost Danault who I'd peg as a better center atm then Dvorak.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Then they trade for Dvorak and give up a first and a second.

Not sure how much better they are off with it.

In the short term at least, I expect Dvorak to outproduce, outperform what KK would have done for them.

Longer term, it will depend on how good Dvorak turns out to be on a better team than Ari, but at minimum he is better defensively and at FO than KK. And they have Dvorak at a reasonable cap hit for 4 more years.

If the OS had never happened Habs would still have been wise to get Dvorak at that price, IMO. Let Kotkaniemi come along a little more slowly at 3C, or on a wing.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Dvorak is no where near a #1 Center. He is a career .5 PPG player. And at 25 you will never get more than that.

I agree he is not a 1C, but he could be a better 2C than that. Look at the teams he has played for.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I also believe he can still resign with Carolina at a lower cost after not being offered a qualifying offer.

I seem to recall that happened with the Jets a few years ago. Jets didn't tender a qualifying offer but the player agreed to resign at a lower amount. Chevy even told the media not to worry about the news and left the door open on the player staying with the team regardless. Can't recall who the player was though.

Poolman?

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB

FiveHoled was correct it was Beaulieu in 2019. And apparently Jets did it a year earlier with Jim Morrow too:

Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff announced that the team will not submit qualifying offers to Joe Morrow, Nathan Beaulieu and Marko Dano.
Folks will recall that similarly last season the Jets did not qualify Joe Morrow only to sign him a few days later. Same could be done this time around.

Jets will not submit qualifying offers to Joe Morrow, Nathan Beaulieu and Marko Dano | Illegal Curve Hockey

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
FiveHoled was correct it was Beaulieu in 2019. And apparently Jets did it a year earlier with Jim Morrow too:

Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff announced that the team will not submit qualifying offers to Joe Morrow, Nathan Beaulieu and Marko Dano.
Folks will recall that similarly last season the Jets did not qualify Joe Morrow only to sign him a few days later. Same could be done this time around.

Jets will not submit qualifying offers to Joe Morrow, Nathan Beaulieu and Marko Dano | Illegal Curve Hockey

I imagine it's easier to do so with your fringe players whonare looking to keep NHL employment. Younger players with upside likely check the market if not qualified.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I imagine it's easier to do so with your fringe players whonare looking to keep NHL employment. Younger players with upside likely check the market if not qualified.
Agree. Kotkaniemi would be an unrestricted UFA at age 22. I highly doubt that he would avoid checking the market if he hadn't been able to agree on a longer-term contract with the Canes before then. My guess is that the Canes will sign him longer-term before they need to make a qualifying offer.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

It's what everyone is assuming is happening. Pretty sure Friedman was "speculating" that it was likely they worked something like this out.

Why would the kid screw over the team that just gifted him a free $3-4M and a better opportunity? Both sides will have a good reason to work out a long term extension based on how he performs this year.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
It's what everyone is assuming is happening. Pretty sure Friedman was "speculating" that it was likely they worked something like this out.

Why would the kid screw over the team that just gifted him a free $3-4M and a better opportunity? Both sides will have a good reason to work out a long term extension based on how he performs this year.
I know if I was given a 4mm bonus, a flight out of the market insanity that is Montreal, and onto a team that's far more likely to be successful over the next few years I'd be motivated to sign a fair deal with that team.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
An interesting question - did Montreal strategically make the correct decision to immediately utilize the proceeds of the KK offersheet and sign the best C replacement available in Dvorak ? I think a good case could be made that they might have been better served to simply secure a low cost C for this next season and essentially do a modest rebuild, using the 1st and 3rd from Carolina as leverage. The next draft is supposedly one of the stronger expected drafts in recent years and Montreal would benefit from at least 2 1st round picks and 2 3rd round picks. Might be especially exciting for their fans as well (I think the draft is hosted by Montreal)

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
An interesting question - did Montreal strategically make the correct decision to immediately utilize the proceeds of the KK offersheet and sign the best C replacement available in Dvorak ? I think a good case could be made that they might have been better served to simply secure a low cost C for this next season and essentially do a modest rebuild, using the 1st and 3rd from Carolina as leverage. The next draft is supposedly one of the stronger expected drafts in recent years and Montreal would benefit from at least 2 1st round picks and 2 3rd round picks. Might be especially exciting for their fans as well (I think the draft is hosted by Montreal)
Dvorak is only 24 and this teams ‘window’ still relies on Price... they can’t rebuild

Bergevin still has a first rounder - it’s not the end of the world

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Yeah I was thinking a one year drop down the standings might do them some good. The issue is they have drafted pretty terribly for the most part under their current t management so maybe spending the picks isn't such a bad thing for that regime.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

It depends on KK’s character. I’m not saying it’s unlikely that he’ll re-up at a fair price; rather, I think that’s reasonable.

What I am saying is, if he doesn’t sign his QO, then Carolina can dump him. That is true and it works for KK. He’ll be a 22 year old former #3 overall pick who has shown flashes hitting free agency. There will be suitors and he’ll get paid. Carolina is then in the situation where they wasted a 1st and a 3rd on a player who didn’t fill a need and just left in free agency … all just to be petty. Carolina could have used that pick on a rental that likely would’ve had a bigger impact than KK will this year.

I understand that Carolina has the cap space, but I’m not sure if this is ideal way to use it. If the Jets decided to throw some money at Glass (before Vegas traded him) to screw over Vegas because of how they’ve been to us, and not use the cap space on addressing team needs, I wouldn’t be very happy pleased.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Dvorak is only 24 and this teams ‘window’ still relies on Price... they can’t rebuild

Bergevin still has a first rounder - it’s not the end of the world

No. it`s not the end of the world.... but who said that? You are right though - a rebuild is not the right choice of words here. Maybe a reload for next year is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad