Around the NHL 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Protection did play a roll but he and Ellis both got moved for essentially the same reason, they weren't buying what the coach was selling. Remember we kept hearing at that time constantly " guys need to buy in to the team". You could tell neither was happy with the new direction.

Arvy was never going to see the looks he did with Lavi, two totally different schools of thought. It's why Fiala wouldn't have worked either.

Still blows my mind that as much as a guy like Lavi liked to push things that Fiala was the one constantly in his doghouse.
I don't see Fiala having a place on a Hynes team. He's a smaller skills guy. Those players have been shown the door under Hynes.

Lavi had a problem with the second line after a while. Turris ended very badly. Smith got demoted and dumped eventually. But Fiala did get himself in the doghouse with his inconsistency. The doghouse didn't seem to have any affect on Turris or Fiala's play at all. It was useless as a motivator. The front office was always clear they considered Fiala some sort of scoring machine, but he could run hot and cold. How much the expectations that he would drive that line affected him is debatable, but he did take a lot of shots. Even shots that weren't there, when passes were.

Scoring inconsistency for pure shooters has a name: Tolvanen. At least with Fiala they got something back when giving up on him.

cool beans

I didn't know
Jul 8, 2022
If there isn't a place on this team for a dynamic 80-90 point forward, then it is the coach that needs to be shown the door.
100% my thoughts exactly. In what world do you not build your team identity around your best players and their strengths.

Hynes seems to be going for the blues model of success at the cost of talent, which we still desperately need

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Wait, what does Hynes have to do with Fiala?
Hynes absolutely loves Granlund. If we had never traded Fiala for Granlund, Hynes would have had nobody to play 22 minutes a night up front. He would have hated Fiala and so Poile would have waived Fiala and then admitted he might have made a mistake in doing so. We'd probably have Zach Sanford back up with the team instead. We would have sucked even more. Hynes would have been fired by now. Too bad we traded Fiala.
:dunno:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I see some of the threads popping up on main board about Bally Sports going bankrupt. While owing $55bn to sports leagues for various rights. I’m sure the NHL would be just a tiny tiny fraction of that. But it’s still a chunk of the revenue stream that goes into setting the Salary Cap.

Presumably that doesn’t affect this year’s revenues, hence next year’s Cap? But could have some ramifications downstream…? :dunno:

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
I see some of the threads popping up on main board about Bally Sports going bankrupt. While owing $55bn to sports leagues for various rights. I’m sure the NHL would be just a tiny tiny fraction of that. But it’s still a chunk of the revenue stream that goes into setting the Salary Cap.

Presumably that doesn’t affect this year’s revenues, hence next year’s Cap? But could have some ramifications downstream…? :dunno:
If Bally goes bankrupt, does that mean we get a new broadcast crew?????

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I really hope eventually it leads the NHL just moving everything to one platform so you don't need 3 or 4 different things just to see all the games.
While I hate the carrier they did it with, I'd like to see more sports do what MLS just did--basically the whole season is on Apple TV, there IS a separate fee for the league, but there are NO blackouts at all. Basically what Center Ice, NBA League Pass, etc... should have been all those years. I'm thrilled with ESPN+, since I had it already, but having to rely on (and pay for) other services for Kings/Ducks and some of the national games is something I'd vast prefer just having a single fee/provider for.

Reactions: Viqsi

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
While I hate the carrier they did it with, I'd like to see more sports do what MLS just did--basically the whole season is on Apple TV, there IS a separate fee for the league, but there are NO blackouts at all. Basically what Center Ice, NBA League Pass, etc... should have been all those years. I'm thrilled with ESPN+, since I had it already, but having to rely on (and pay for) other services for Kings/Ducks and some of the national games is something I'd vast prefer just having a single fee/provider for.
Yeah I wouldn't mind that route, frankly would just be happy with them shoving it all on ESPN+ and calling it a day. I like the ESPN+ option because it covers a whole host of things other than just hockey.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I'm glad Bally went under. What a piss poor job they have done. The app is over priced and terrible quality. I paid for the yearly package and I still have a handful of games I can't watch on any platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad