Around the NHL 2017-18: Stanley Cup Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Looks to me like our guys would be eligible for a 2020 expansion draft.

Kerby Rychel:
2014-15 ELC slide - played in AHL
2015-16 regular pro season
2016-17 regular pro season

And he was eligible for the 2017 expansion draft.

edit: Ryan Pulock is another example of this.
Now if someone could explain to me why William Nylander was exempt, we'd have some clarity. :huh:

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Only thing I can think of is Nylander played part of the season of his ELC slide year overseas and part in the AHL. So that might look promising for Lias.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
In regards to expansion, my understanding is if it's an ELC, they're automatically exempt from Expansion Draft status. So Skjei for example, his ELC started in 2015-16, which is why it wasn't an issue for Vegas.

Georgiev will be ending his ELC in 2019, so he will need to be protected. Chytil/Anderson/Howden/Hajek and whomever they bring in via the draft this year should all be excluded. Ditto for Lindgren because of his age.

Shestyorkin and Huska will be exempt as well. It's funny with both those goalies set to join the organization in the fall of 2019, we'll see how Henrik and Georgiev play next year. Let's say Geo outplays Lundqvist, it could pose a very interesting situation come the Seattle Expansion but that's for another year or two to worry about.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Why the **** does this league anymore teams??!! God I hate this ****ing league!

It's all about the money. Seattle is the right market at the right time. That city is starved for indoor sports ever since the Sonics left, and honestly, the Seahawks had a nice run with their previous core but their window is closing, while the Mariners really haven't had much success in about 15-16 years. People in that region want someone to root for and something to do from Oct-April besides 8 home NFL games.

It will also even out the Conferences, and based on expansion rules, they might be competitive immediately if they have Vegas luck.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
In regards to expansion, my understanding is if it's an ELC, they're automatically exempt from Expansion Draft status. So Skjei for example, his ELC started in 2015-16, which is why it wasn't an issue for Vegas.

Georgiev will be ending his ELC in 2019, so he will need to be protected. Chytil/Anderson/Howden/Hajek and whomever they bring in via the draft this year should all be excluded. Ditto for Lindgren because of his age.

Shestyorkin and Huska will be exempt as well. It's funny with both those goalies set to join the organization in the fall of 2019, we'll see how Henrik and Georgiev play next year. Let's say Geo outplays Lundqvist, it could pose a very interesting situation come the Seattle Expansion but that's for another year or two to worry about.
Skjei was exempt because he only had two pro seasons. Rules: Rules for 2017 Expansion Draft

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
The Canadiens may have at least one guy that may pan out in Scherbak

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
This could potentially have major implications on how the Rangers treat Andersson and Chytil. If Seattle is drafting in 2020, and LA and FC play in 18-19, and 19-20, they need to be protected. If they hold them out for the 18-19 season, they'll be ineligible to be selected.

I doubt the Rangers hold out these guys from the NHL next year because of this, but, it's a thing.

No, they would not have to be protected assuming the draft is in 2020. The Draft is held in the 2nd year of their professional careers at that point.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I posted this a couple weeks ago.

Not true...

Brady Skjei played 8 games in the AHL on an Amateur Tryout contract in 2014-15, therefore this did not count as an accrued Professional season. Instead, his "pro career" started in 2015-16, when his ELC kicked in--he was 21 years old at the time, so he fell under the expansion rule of:

A Player aged 18 or 19 earns a year of professional experience by playing 10 or more NHL games in a given NHL season
A player aged 20 or older (based on age on December 31 of calendar year in which the season starts) earns a year of professional experience by playing 10 or more Professional Games under a standard player contract in a given League Year. –GeneralFanager.com

See here fore reference: Clarification On Definition Of First And Second Year Professionals - SinBin.vegas

All Gorton has to do is draft players and not sign them to ELC's. They will automatically be exempt from selection in the expansion draft. In the event that a player signs an ELC this for the 2018-19 season, that player would still be exempt from Expansion draft selection in 2020 since the a Contract year in the NHL runs from July 1st to June 30th. Since the Draft takes place in mid june, the player is still in the 2nd year of their pro experience.

None of this applies if the ELC slides for a year, as far as I am aware (I could be wrong on this), because a player has to be under 20 years old for the contract to slide, and a sliding contract does not become an NHL SPC until the player plays 9 games...

Now's probably a great time to rebuild because most of our assets will be 2nd year pros. Guys like Gropp, Tambo, and Andersson will have to be exposed, but guys draft in 2018 will not need protection at all--they'll be exempt

Chytil and Andersson's years in Hartford this year (2017-18) do NOT count as a Professional season since they are under 20 years old. Andersson's pro season will start this coming year in Hartford, Whereas Chytil will still have one more season of exemption. Players that sign ATO's do not accrue a pro season. Players that sign an ELC now that begins for the 2018-19 season would be exempt from Expansion draft selection.

Gorton picked a good time to rebuild with this expansion draft looming. Most of our prized players will not need protection.

The biggest issue we will have is with Georgiev... We'll probably have to pay to protect him

Long and Short it has nothing to do with the ELC slide, it has to do with the players age during his ELC, in which those years have slide years.

KHL years do not count as professional years, nor do years where the player is loaned to a league with no transfer agreement (junior leagues, usually)

Last edited:

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Now if someone could explain to me why William Nylander was exempt, we'd have some clarity. :huh:

Nylander was 19 years old at the time of the expansion draft and did not play more than 10 games in the NHL that year, therefore that year did not count as a professional season.

Nylander's 2nd professional year concluded on June 30th, 2017. The Expansion draft was before this, therefore it happened during his 2nd pro year, and therefore he was not selectable

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I posted this a couple weeks ago.

Chytil and Andersson's years in Hartford this year (2017-18) do NOT count as a Professional season since they are under 20 years old. Andersson's pro season will start this coming year in Hartford, Whereas Chytil will still have one more season of exemption. Players that sign ATO's do not accrue a pro season. Players that sign an ELC now that begins for the 2018-19 season would be exempt from Expansion draft selection.

Gorton picked a good time to rebuild with this expansion draft looming. Most of our prized players will not need protection.

The biggest issue we will have is with Georgiev... We'll probably have to pay to protect him

Long and Short it has nothing to do with the ELC slide, it has to do with the players age during his ELC, in which those years have slide years.

KHL years do not count as professional years, nor do years where the player is loaned to a league with no transfer agreement (junior leagues, usually)
I guess the wildcard that was throwing me was what is the cutoff date for age. Both Pulock and Rychel were 19 on September 15, 2014, but turned 20 in October. September 15 must not be the date used for this purpose.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
So..., with the Panthers hot on the Debbies pitchforked tails & only 1 point out with two games in hand where does this leave our 2nd round pick from Grabner? 39-44? Or does the lottery come into play (is this only for the first round order?)

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
So..., with the Panthers hot on the Debbies pitchforked tails & only 1 point out with two games in hand where does this leave our 2nd round pick from Grabner? 39-44? Or does the lottery come into play (is this only for the first round order?)
Lottery matters. If the Devils were to not make the playoffs but win the lottery (or get pick 2 or 3) the Devils 2nd would be pick 32-34.

That being said, id rather they not make the playoffs, not win thr lottery and that Devils pick be in the 43-45 range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad