Around the NHL #15 - Ovie is Not a Choker Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Second round = best round. Love the matchups so far. Not a Jets fan by any means but they are pretty stacked. Hope they meet Vegas in the CF and we get Bruins v Caps in the other.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Times like these where you really appreciate the cap as the great leveler that it is. In short order, the Jets are going to have to re-sign all of Wheeler, Laine, Connor, Hellebuyck, Trouba, Morrissey and Armia. The first three could eat up 20-25M alone. And then there's possibly Stastny, Enstrom and Myers as well.

I mean, it's a good problem to have but still; their window is basically this season and next before they'll have to reconfigure things.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
If I'm stastny, I sign cheaper if Winnipeg gives me term. If they'll pony up to 7-8 years, take a 3.5 AAV. It's not an insignificant amount of money, plus his current contract was huge. He's 32, it gives him big security, Jets keep a player that fits them perfectly for a very manageable number, and both sides keep that great fit .

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If I'm stastny, I sign cheaper if Winnipeg gives me term. If they'll pony up to 7-8 years, take a 3.5 AAV. It's not an insignificant amount of money, plus his current contract was huge. He's 32, it gives him big security, Jets keep a player that fits them perfectly for a very manageable number, and both sides keep that great fit .
Jets wouldn't do this because of the risk of him retiring and them being on the hook for $3.5M against the cap every year for multiple years.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Jets wouldn't do this because of the risk of him retiring and them being on the hook for $3.5M against the cap every year for multiple years.
Isn't the penalty only severe on 35+ contracts, or frontloaded deals for the purpose of cap recapture?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Isn't the penalty only severe on 35+ contracts, or frontloaded deals for the purpose of cap recapture?
Yeah, I decided to do a little fact-checking on myself after posting this. I thought the rule was that if a contract signed a player past age 35, the salary cap hit occurs even if the player retires, but you're right, I'm conflating two different rules.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Fair, easy mistake to make .I was pretty sure it was only if they are older than that when they signed, but you made me double check too haha.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
RNH is gone at the draft, I am pretty confident in that.

Idk. McDavid played his best hockey of the season when RNH was on his line.

That doesn't seem that bad really. $17m for 8 players is over $2m/player, and they'll already have their top 4 Fs and 4 of their top 5 D, and 2 Gs signed. Strome and Caggiula can only expect a small raise, at best, so that's ~S3.75-4m. Nurse will probably sign a bridge deal, say $2.75m/2 years.

So that's about $10m left for 5 players, not that bad really. And two of those players will probably be Gryba's $900k and Yamamoto's or Marody's ELC.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Idk. McDavid played his best hockey of the season when RNH was on his line.

That doesn't seem that bad really. $17m for 8 players is over $2m/player, and they'll already have their top 4 Fs and 4 of their top 5 D, and 2 Gs signed. Strome and Caggiula can only expect a small raise, at best, so that's ~S3.75-4m. Nurse will probably sign a bridge deal, say $2.75m/2 years.

So that's about $10m left for 5 players, not that bad really. And two of those players will probably be Gryba's $900k and Yamamoto's or Marody's ELC.

Not sure Nurse gets a bridge to be honest. Probably should, but just not sold it will happen.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Once upon a time, the Flames weren't going to be able to sign all of their core guys either.

The Oilers will be fine. But I've been wrong before and would gladly be wrong this time too :D.

The difference is that it was only a few isolated doomsdayer Flames fans who ever said that about the Flames, and didn't really gain much traction. But with the Oilers, I think everyone around the league is acknowledging that they've severely handcuffed themselves.

They will be fine, you're right, in the sense that they will be able to field a team. But they basically are in a position where they won't be able to add much outside help going forward.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I still think at the end, Tavares stsys with the Isles just because it's easier to stay where you're comfortable and know everything, but man, it would be cool to see him go Ufa and sign somewhere else. That just never happens with players his age and caliber

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
The difference is that it was only a few isolated doomsdayer Flames fans who ever said that about the Flames, and didn't really gain much traction. But with the Oilers, I think everyone around the league is acknowledging that they've severely handcuffed themselves.

They will be fine, you're right, in the sense that they will be able to field a team. But they basically are in a position where they won't be able to add much outside help going forward.
Nah it was all over the media too.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I still think at the end, Tavares stsys with the Isles just because it's easier to stay where you're comfortable and know everything, but man, it would be cool to see him go Ufa and sign somewhere else. That just never happens with players his age and caliber

That's usually the way the good UFAs have gone.........resigning.......kind of expecting Tavares, Carlson and Kane to be re-upped

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
That's usually the way the good UFAs have gone.........resigning.......kind of expecting Tavares, Carlson and Kane to be re-upped

I could see all three re-signing with their teams, including Kane. Looks like a good fit for him with in San Jose, which sucks for the Flames.

Can't recall off the top of my hand when the deadline was, but Tavares said he'd have a decision whether or not he was UFA'ing or re-signing by sometime, I believe the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad