Around the NHL #15 - Ovie is Not a Choker Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm not criticizing him as a human being. My god people are over sensitive

But... you are. If you're unable to have sympathy for Kris Russell, the human being, then you are criticizing him as a human being. I have no sympathy for the Oilers, but I feel bad for the level of anguish he would've been feeling last night during the moments after that goal.

I have no desire for Kris Russell to have success with the Oilers as a team. I am happy if they lose. But if any player on the team has a moment like that, I can't help but feel bad for them unless it was karma for something they did prior.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
But... you are. If you're unable to have sympathy for Kris Russell, the human being, then you are criticizing him as a human being. I have no sympathy for the Oilers, but I feel bad for the level of anguish he would've been feeling last night during the moments after that goal.

I have no desire for Kris Russell to have success with the Oilers as a team. I am happy if they lose. But if any player on the team has a moment like that, I can't help but feel bad for them unless it was karma for something they did prior.
It's a rivalry thing. As an athlete I don't give a f*** about him. Off the ice, I wish him the best. Him scoring on his own net doesn't need my sympathy because it has nothing to do with his life outside of the rink. Really not that hard to understand dude

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's a rivalry thing. As an athlete I don't give a **** about him. Off the ice, I wish him the best. Him scoring on his own net doesn't need my sympathy because it has nothing to do with his life outside of the rink. Really not that hard to understand dude
I'm not sure that's true. It's like saying what happens to me at work has no effect on me when I go home. For the most part it's true, but if really shitty stuff happens to me at work, it does affect me even when I'm not at work.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Moving on from Kris Russell; because we can conclude he's a dick for signing a lucrative contract, that keeps him close to his family and farm.

Anyone else notice the PDO wave the Leafs are riding right now? They've been an uber successful team this year; but they have the highest PDO in the league outside of the Knights. They bleed chances every night; the Matthews line has a PDO multiple points higher than the league leader.

Anyone else get that 'next year might be the Oilers 2.0 vibe?'
I'm sort of getting that from them. Just look at the Flames game, 2 deflected goals, our top 6 and top 4 outplayed theirs... You have this Flames team playing below their capability and you have the Leafs team firing on all cylinders. Not taking away the talent they certainly have though.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
TIL not having sympathy for a stupid mistake = calling someone a dick.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Also in other news, Karlsson and Doughty want to get paid. Will be fun to watch that play out over the next year and a half.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Also in other news, Karlsson and Doughty want to get paid. Will be fun to watch that play out over the next year and a half.
how do you know what Karlsson wants? Because Drew Poughty told us so?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Karlsson really comes off as someone towing the union line IMO.
“I think it’s time to realize that when we go to the table, it’s business on both parts, not just [owners],” Karlsson said. “That’s the business part of it. That’s the way every player has been treated ever since this league has started, and I think the players have been a little bit on the other side of things when it comes to negotiations.”
Sounds like something that rat Donald Fehr would say. They want us as fans to be loyal to teh players but the players are showing less and less loyalty to the fans.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Karlsson really comes off as someone towing the union line IMO.

Sounds like something that rat Donald Fehr would say. They want us as fans to be loyal to teh players but the players are showing less and less loyalty to the fans.

You are always on the side of the big corporation. It’s bizarre.

The NHLers deserve to make as much money as possible after going through repeated collective bargaining gong-shows..

On a different note, it’s pretty sweet that Monahan and Gaudreau cost together what other star players are going to start to get by themselves.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's a bit of an odd situation for players with a salary cap, though. Yes, by asking for more money, you allow other elite players to ask for more money. However, top-end players getting more money means that money has to come from somewhere, which means that middling players get squeezed out of the league or have to settle for league-minimum contracts, even if they are better than the rookie that can replace them for cheap.

Must be awkward for the union.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I agree. It doesn’t really make sense from a union perspective to allow max dollars like that.

I think what we’ve seen recently is that overrated UFAs are the ones that are seeing the pinch.

The new model (which it should have always been) is pay your stars and fill the rest of your team with young guys on their first two contracts.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Fair enough. But these are world class players. They deserve to be paid as such. Look at what plugs in basketball or baseball get.
This isn't baseball or basketball though. Your comments about Gaudreau and Monahan being locked up cheap are exactly why I am against these giant contracts. All it does is create disparity between the stars and everyone else. If the top players are getting ~$13 million, that money has to come from somewhere and the bottom guys are already making league minimum in alot of cases, so it's going to start coming from good players now.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I'm perfectly okay with players in the Brouwer/Stajan tier getting squeezed. Stars are generally what the, for lack of a better word, casual fans, pay to see. They deserved get paid. But journeymen shouldn't be getting medium to long term, no trade protection with above average cap hits.

And this really is the season of nightmares for Oilers fans. And you just know it's going to be capped off by a Nugent-Hopkins trade for something mediocre, well even more more so. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving franchise.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It's hilarious that I get shit on for having no sympathy about an own goal, but nothing is said about guys who are perfectly okay with guys being forced into retirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad