Around the NHL #15 - Ovie is Not a Choker Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
You... don't really have an argument on that one, Stajan. And really, Hathaway should've taken a penalty moments prior.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
What is up with you guys wanting unbalanced divisions? They're going to want all divisions to have 8 teams above all else.

With a Seattle team, what I proposed leaves all divisions at 8 teams...

Edit: f***. Arizona to the central division, and that's it. I thought the central had 8 teams for some reason.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
With a Seattle team, what I proposed leaves all divisions at 8 teams...

Edit: ****. Arizona to the central division, and that's it. I thought the central had 8 teams for some reason.

The central division is going to be enormous in terms or total area if that’s the case.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Do you think the divisions will be remade when Seattle joins the league? They need to be in the Pacific but the Central has one less team. Does one team move over? Is there a realignment or a complete shakeup with more/less divisions. Maybe just the two conferences?
Arizona will move to the Central

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
The central division is going to be enormous in terms or total area if that’s the case.

I can't think of a better option. Unless you move Dallas into the Pacific, with the Seattle expansion, and move Calgary and Edmonton to the central, but I don't think the NHL would get rid of the rivalries that exist there.

If I'm the NHL, I'd look at this for the long term. Arizona won't be there for that.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I can't think of a better option. Unless you move Dallas into the Pacific, with the Seattle expansion, and move Calgary and Edmonton to the central, but I don't think the NHL would get rid of the rivalries that exist there.

If I'm the NHL, I'd look at this for the long term. Arizona won't be there for that.
Exactly all of this and time zones matter more than actual travel time because east-west travel is more difficult on you than north-south. If they moved Dallas to the Pacific it would span 3 time zones and the NHL isn't going to do that. They would rather move Arizona and have each the Pacific and Central only in 2 time zones.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The popular notion on the main board is the Alberta teams moving to the Central and the Avs moving to the Pacific. This would obviously be terrible for us, but its not outlandish, either. Only thing is, do you want to break up the rivalries with the Pacific teams? The only rivalry disrupted if Arizona moves is the non-existent one they've been trying to push with Vegas.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The popular notion on the main board is the Alberta teams moving to the Central and the Avs moving to the Pacific. This would obviously be terrible for us, but its not outlandish, either. Only thing is, do you want to break up the rivalries with the Pacific teams? The only rivalry disrupted if Arizona moves is the non-existent one they've been trying to push with Vegas.
The NHL will not break up the 3 Western Canadian teams. Frankly anyone suggesting they might doesn't have a f***ing clue.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The NHL will not break up the 3 Western Canadian teams. Frankly anyone suggesting they might doesn't have a ****ing clue.
There are four Western Canadian teams, though, and the proposed move would have the same result in terms of three in one division and one in the other.

However, I also don't like it. The "Western Canadian road trip" has been a thing for too long to change it.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
There are four Western Canadian teams, though, and the proposed move would have the same result in terms of three in one division and one in the other.

Seattle-Vancouver will be the rivalry the NHL tries to push, much like AZ-LV. Rivalries exist more between fans than players in today’s NHL imo

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Seattle-Vancouver will be the rivalry the NHL tries to push, much like AZ-LV. Rivalries exist more between fans than players in today’s NHL imo
I would say "intended rivaries" exist more between fans than players. For instance, do you feel that the rivalry is stronger between us and LA fans, or between the Flames and Kings?

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I would say "intended rivaries" exist more between fans than players. For instance, do you feel that the rivalry is stronger between us and LA fans, or between the Flames and Kings?

That’s a good point, on ice rivalries have been much more intense between Calgary and LA/Anaheim than they have been between Edmonton/Vancouver (excluding the torts/Hartley line brawl).

That is not the case on HF boards however. I think it’s because if you’re a hockey fan living in California then by default you must have a basic knowledge of hockey whereas any idiot in Edmonton can google their hockey team and find their way to HF boards :popcorn:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

However, I also don't like it. The "Western Canadian road trip" has been a thing for too long to change it.
Winnipeg is not in Western Canada, it's smack dab in the middle.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Winnipeg is not in Western Canada, it's smack dab in the middle.

Well, realistically, the distance from Calgary/Edmonton to Winnipeg is only a wee bit further than to Vancouver. However, Calgary and Edmonton in the Pacific would likely make them immediately be the two worst teams in the league for travel. Imagine having pretty much all the divisional games a few hours South and a few hour East. Nashville, especially, would be terrible, and much easier for the Coyotes to accommodate.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

The NHL specifically tried to keep rivalries together. Moving Calgary/Edmonton won't happen.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Ever drive from Winnipeg to the next major city East of it? If you consider Winnipeg not in Western Canada; you likely haven’t.
And if the major cities weren't significantly further south and you didn't have to go around the great lakes, it wouldn't be so far. Winnipeg is in Central Canada

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
And if the major cities weren't significantly further south and you didn't have to go around the great lakes, it wouldn't be so far. Winnipeg is in Central Canada

I laughed at this, but I'm sure it wasn't meant to be a joke for some reason.
That all being said, even if you google Central Canada it doesn't show you Manitoba. I know you have some weird hate for the 'Peg, but they're a Western Canadian Team, and they're in Western Canada.

I'm not going to debate this with you, because I'm right, but seriously man :laugh: Western Canada's made up of 3 provinces in the prairies and BC. I've never heard anyone consider Manitoba Central Canada, nor have I ever heard that term used, like ever.

Reactions: Signature

Aug 3, 2010

upload_2018-2-17_0-35-59.png

Source: Canada.ca's region/geography page

Apologies for piling on, but that video is one of my favourite go-tos... any chance I get to bring it to relevance, I will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad