Around the NHL, 11th Armored Tank Division

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's got to be tied to the cap not going up by much. The GMs were all together in one place, maybe this was something they all kind of talked about as one way to save space under the cap. If there's a lot of similar players available, each individual one has less appeal as a UFA, and will be easier to re-sign without arbitration rights.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
A lot of them are not being qualified because they are hoping to negotiate them for lesser deals than the QO's would be, or like us, they are avoiding arbitration.

True, but all of them still have the opportunity to talk to other teams right now to see if there's a better deal out there, thanks to that UFA window.

Would not mind at all if Treliving's telling Connolly's agent that they'll beat whatever Boston's offering.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
What a terrible contract, and I like Shaw :laugh:

Don't you trade for a player, as in spend assets for him so you don't have to overpay dollar wise? The Habs paid the assets to get the player and paid a July, 1st price to lock him up.

I kind of get the whole Saad thing from last year. But this seems crazy to me.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
It's got to be tied to the cap not going up by much. The GMs were all together in one place, maybe this was something they all kind of talked about as one way to save space under the cap. If there's a lot of similar players available, each individual one has less appeal as a UFA, and will be easier to re-sign without arbitration rights.

I was thinking of this but didn't want to be accused of being a conspiracy theorist.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

I was thinking that too, along with a sprinkle of upcoming expansion draft related fears.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I was thinking of this but didn't want to be accused of being a conspiracy theorist.

I'm not saying out and out collusion, but GMs would have had a chance to feel out the situation league-wide and reach something of an understanding that everyone was in the same situation and an unqualified player this season won't have the same leverage as usual.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
At most it's like 400k much, but it's the term that is nuts.

I love Shaw, one of his biggest fans. And I honestly think the Habs fans will love him on the ice, as he's essentially Gallagher lite.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Outside of MacLean moving back to host, Rogers have made other changes to it's on-air staff.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/ron-185240869.html

Not to lay this at the feet of the Canada's beleaguered NHL franchises, but had they not finished so low in the standings it's possible that George Stroumboulopoulos might stil be the host of Hockey Night In Canada.

And Glenn Healy and P.J. Stock might still have jobs, too.

That may also be behind Sunday's dismissal of analysts Stock and Healy, who were among 14 off-camera employees and contract workers let go. That total doesn't include Damien Cox, who last week was reassigned to the Prime TIme Sports radio show.

I feel like they could replace either Healy or Stock with any qualified broadcaster and it would be an improvement.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I've never got the hate for PJ Stock. Easily a cut above Healy if just for the fact when he does say something silly, he doesn't do it in a smug way.

TkachuckNotTkaczuk

Jan 21, 2015
Seattle
I liked Stock, he brought a little excitement to the telecast, always thought he should be given a larger role as he is a guy that would speak to and maybe draw in a younger demographic. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad