Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I found it interesting that Chipman was quoted in the CBC article as saying something along the lines of "someone I trust in this business warned me about a full teardown". Kinda got me wondering who it could behave been

Well it definitely wasn't Terry Pagula.

Speaking of rebuilds...

I wonder if the following tactic would work for undesirable markets like the Jets. Admit that at some point you might need to rebuild.

Become buyers and sellers at upcoming trade deadlines, but target 1st round picks a few years in the future (all in the same draft year, so this draft would be like 8-10 years ahead). Hopefully in a strong draft. Then either draft with those picks, trade them for roster players or move up in the draft for a cornerstone piece of the future.

Kind of a half baked idea at the moment, so maybe it's a horrible idea.

That's an idea that has several opportunities to go wrong. How would you know it's a strong draft even 2 years away let alone 8-10? If a cornerstone guy was available at 1, what amount of 1sts do you think it would take to trade out of it?

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
I found it interesting that Chipman was quoted in the CBC article as saying something along the lines of "someone I trust in this business warned me about a full teardown". Kinda got me wondering who it could behave been

I wonder if it was a smaller market success story that doesn’t really tank out.
Nashville? Carolina? Hopefully not Calgary lol

There should be more terms than retool or rebuild...

Skinner - where you torpedo your organization with a gigantic vet contract
Grier - a rebuild without the build part
Oil change - draft multiple first overall picks and still suck

Oilers got so lucky with McDavid

Without him, they could have been buffalo

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Speaking of rebuilds...

I wonder if the following tactic would work for undesirable markets like the Jets. Admit that at some point you might need to rebuild.

Become buyers and sellers at upcoming trade deadlines, but target 1st round picks a few years in the future (all in the same draft year, so this draft would be like 8-10 years ahead). Hopefully in a strong draft. Then either draft with those picks, trade them for roster players or move up in the draft for a cornerstone piece of the future.

Kind of a half baked idea at the moment, so maybe it's a horrible idea.

I don’t think so. It’s too hard to predict

It sounds like the organization has realized they need to be in the playoffs as often as possible to engage the Jets fan base and they need a strong stb to keep them spending towards the cap to achieve that goal. I bet They will continue to draft and develop and trade out pieces for nhl players in return

I know there’s hate but Vegas is basically Manitoba’s second team lol. McCrimmon showed you need nhl depth not elite star power hampering a cap to win in the playoffs

Of course they circumvent said cap as well but as long as it’s an official rule, its gonna happen

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
OUR ROOKIE GOALIE WILL SAVE US

It took Helly a few years to become what he is and they expected this young rookie to fix them

Stupid

UPL's been a bright spot on that team, and gave them above-expected-goal saves, so if anything, they may have been hurt by not relying on him soon enough.

Jersey hitching their horses to Akira Schmid and the rest of their 'Cast of Thousands' goaltending? Now THAT was a backfire.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Luukonen has massive potential - would love to see the Jets trade for him as our backup

Granato was trying to play man coverage and didn't have the talent for it - those goalies were hung out to dry all season

@sipowicz
Luukkonen absolutely screams Ullmark to me. Good results behind a dogshit team, probably waiting for either a nice payout this summer or UFA status in two years from now.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
UPL came on in the 2nd half of the season.
The first half he was shit.
The Sabres need to fire their GM.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Luukkonen absolutely screams Ullmark to me. Good results behind a dogshit team, probably waiting for either a nice payout this summer or UFA status in two years from now.
I'd legit look at trading brossoit rights and Schmidt or iafallo for him

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Luukonen has massive potential - would love to see the Jets trade for him as our backup

Granato was trying to play man coverage and didn't have the talent for it - those goalies were hung out to dry all season

@sipowicz
I dunno. I realize he's a huge Finnish goalie, but he's never really shown he can play at the pro level. .895 SV% over 2100 shots at the AHL level. There's actually more shot data on him in the NHL and he's a .904 on 3000 shots. Very few goalies go from meh to all-star.

Levi looks like he might be good if they don't destroy his confidence by throwing him to the wolves. Guy had Hellebuyckian numbers in the NCAA.

Reactions: Stumbledore

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
I dunno. I realize he's a huge Finnish goalie, but he's never really shown he can play at the pro level. .895 SV% over 2100 shots at the AHL level. There's actually more shot data on him in the NHL and he's a .904 on 3000 shots. Very few goalies go from meh to all-star.

Levi looks like he might be good if they don't destroy his confidence by throwing him to the wolves. Guy had Hellebuyckian numbers in the NCAA.
Not sold on Levi. Buffalo fans like to talk him up like he's the next Hasek but his NCAA numbers have not translated to pro. His AHL numbers are decent but so far his first 30 games in the NHL have been meh. Plus he's only 6'0" which is small by todays NHL goalie standards(obviously there are some quality NHL goalies his size but not many).

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
I notice we don't mention the rebuilds that work though. In order to get top notch talent you have to draft at the top of the board.

The Jets didn't need to fully rebuild with all the talent I thought they needed to retool a little more than they did. Most of that full rebuild talk was when Helly and Schief weren't apparently going to sign.

Even if they hadn't signed and were moved you still were left with some really good pieces yet 44 27 81 17 plus returns. This team didn't need to fully rebuild. But there will come a day when we will. Having a really aging veteran team with middling prospects can quickly get you in that position with some bad luck.

Reactions: JetsUK

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Not sold on Levi. Buffalo fans like to talk him up like he's the next Hasek but his NCAA numbers have not translated to pro. His AHL numbers are decent but so far his first 30 games in the NHL have been meh. Plus he's only 6'0" which is small by todays NHL goalie standards(obviously there are some quality NHL goalies his size but not many).
Well, either way, Buffalo will probably manage to screw it up... :laugh:

Playing Levi at the end of last season after his NCAA career was over was fine. Starting him early this season seems like a mistake. But FWIW his AHL numbers this year match up pretty well with Helle's first year with the Ice Caps (both were age 21).

Reactions: jokesondee

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Looks like 9 players will achieve 100+ pts this year, with a couple more having an outside shot. Last year there was 11. 9 would be the second most since 95-96.

Jamie Benns 87 pts in his art Ross year would rank 20th (still couple games to go)

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
That's an idea that has several opportunities to go wrong. How would you know it's a strong draft even 2 years away let alone 8-10? If a cornerstone guy was available at 1, what amount of 1sts do you think it would take to trade out of it?

Good point. A strong draft year is probably too hard to predict. Was a half-baked idea to begin with - that's what happens when I don't give an idea more time to stew and make such off the cuff remarks :laugh:

I don’t think so. It’s too hard to predict

It sounds like the organization has realized they need to be in the playoffs as often as possible to engage the Jets fan base and they need a strong stb to keep them spending towards the cap to achieve that goal. I bet They will continue to draft and develop and trade out pieces for nhl players in return

I know there’s hate but Vegas is basically Manitoba’s second team lol. McCrimmon showed you need nhl depth not elite star power hampering a cap to win in the playoffs

Of course they circumvent said cap as well but as long as it’s an official rule, its gonna happen

Yep, true, probably is. Thought what crazy things that no one is doing to see if there's merits to finding other creative ways of rebuilding without going scorched earth.

This is why I shouldn't post half-baked ideas in a rush at the doctor's office :laugh:

(I still have a feeling there's a nugget of an idea in there somewhere though...)

• Haha
Reactions: roccerfeller

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Looks like 9 players will achieve 100+ pts this year, with a couple more having an outside shot. Last year there was 11. 9 would be the second most since 95-96.

Jamie Benns 87 pts in his art Ross year would rank 20th (still couple games to go)
I would love to see the stats for empty goals … it has to be a record these days especially pulling the goalie 5 minutes early.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
441 this year (13.8 per team) 438 last year (13.7 per team), and 476 in 21-22 (14.9 per team)

Using 2014-2015 as a reference point again: 295 total (9.8 per team)
I would love to see the stats for empty goals … it has to be a record these days especially pulling the goalie 5 minutes early.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
NHL seems high on him. The league needs stable ownerships. Atlanta didn’t have it and the Yotes haven’t had it in a long time. The league getting Chipman and co. and this potential new owner is a huge win/plus for the league. It does nothing but push the league forward.

If you are bored and you like to listen to podcasts while you drive this is Ryan Smith’s interview on 32 thoughts with Elliotte and Jeff last June. He left an impression on me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad