Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
The interviews I have listened to with the Ryan Smith (proposed new owner and the owner of the Jazz) have left me with the impression his is pretty sharp.

NHL seems high on him. The league needs stable ownerships. Atlanta didn’t have it and the Yotes haven’t had it in a long time. The league getting Chipman and co. and this potential new owner is a huge win/plus for the league. It does nothing but push the league forward.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Fun to watch the Avs collapse in the third and lose in OT

I only briefly turned that game on and Eddie O(?) was praising their response. Lol It goes back to my post in the PGT. It’s a double edged sword. The mental game in sports is huge sometimes. Colorado may not feel great going into the playoffs. The Jets seem dialed in as a team right now.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I wonder how much the org values home ice. I would have said that it would be a big advantage vs the Avs to be able to match lines with mackinnon but after that last game, I wonder how much it matters

If guys are banged up, I'd be looking at resting some of them in each game, or both if needed. Chances are we still squeak out a point and/or Avs lose to the Oilers anyway

Well from a business standpoint I’m sure they would love to have the extra home game.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
He's been pretty craptastic this season. I wonder if Colorado has the balls to go with Annunen in the playoffs. He's basically a rookie but has played well in small doses this season.

If Geogriev doesn’t finish off with a good game, I’m starting Annunen in game 1. That way the guys in front won’t have goaltending in the back of their mind.

Reactions: JetsUK

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
What about a Jets vs Nucks WCF? Wouldn't points matter for who has home ice advantage in game 1? We're currently 1 back of them

We'd have to see what the records are like then I guess but I think making sure everyone is rested enough and healthy would take priority there. I think Vancouver would feel the same anyway.

I wonder how much the org values home ice. I would have said that it would be a big advantage vs the Avs to be able to match lines with mackinnon but after that last game, I wonder how much it matters

If guys are banged up, I'd be looking at resting some of them in each game, or both if needed. Chances are we still squeak out a point and/or Avs lose to the Oilers anyway

I don't take much from yesterday. The Avs are normally very good at home but less so on the road.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I think home ice is extremely important to the organization as it likely gives them an extra home game. I also think Tuesday is an all in game, where they run back the same line up as yesterday. You can't take your foot off the gas when there is still something important at stake. Clinch second on Tuesday, I think you then see a few guys getting a game off Thursday.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I think home ice is extremely important to the organization as it likely gives them an extra home game. I also think Tuesday is an all in game, where they run back the same line up as yesterday. You can't take your foot off the gas when there is still something important at stake. Clinch second on Tuesday, I think you then see a few guys getting a game off Thursday.
Man, I could swear that before these last two wins you were saying that the organization didn't care about home ice advantage at all...

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Much better chance to get additional gates - I think they very much do.

Reactions: KingBogo

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
If Geogriev doesn’t finish off with a good game, I’m starting Annunen in game 1. That way the guys in front won’t have goaltending in the back of their mind.

Agree.

The risk (for us) of going with Annunen is that it sets up the time-tested narrative of the Little Backup Who Could Cinderella story, where he plays lights-out and leads the Avs to the Cup.

On the other hand, he may not be that good, in which case we have the equally time-tested narrative of the GM Who Failed to Sign Competent Goaltending, as they flame out in round 1.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Much better chance to get additional gates - I think they very much do.
You'd have to weigh that vs having a healthy line up being able to make a deeper run. That gets you more gates too, and bigger gates at that

There's no sense running dinged up guys into the ground to finish second in the central if it lowers your chances of getting bounced in the 1st round

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Agree.

The risk (for us) of going with Annunen is that it sets up the time-tested narrative of the Little Backup Who Could Cinderella story, where he plays lights-out and leads the Avs to the Cup.

On the other hand, he may not be that good, in which case we have the equally time-tested narrative of the GM Who Failed to Sign Competent Goaltending, as they flame out in round 1.
I'm not sure that Cinderella fits in there but I agree with your point entirely.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Lots of goalies careers were made from a single playoff run.
Yeah, definitely, but I was just pointing out that the "poor girl - fairy godmother - dance at the ball - found by the prince" story didn't really match with the "give the youngster a huge challenge and he overcomes it because of self-confidence" tale. Then again, my grandkids are all teens now so what do I know?

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Pretty dramatic comeback to win in OT by Detroit over Montreal, they stay alive for another day. Two huge games in the east now tomorrow: Caps vs Flyers and Red Wings vs Habs. I believe a Caps loss in regulation and a Red Wings win would clinch the final spot for Detroit?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Pretty dramatic comeback to win in OT by Detroit over Montreal, they stay alive for another day. Two huge games in the east now tomorrow: Caps vs Flyers and Red Wings vs Habs. I believe a Caps loss in regulation and a Red Wings win would clinch the final spot for Detroit?
Saw this

Reactions: Hobble

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
One more scenario I believe: Flyers win, Red Wings lose, penguins lose, Flyers would clinch. They basically need the hockey planets to align but you never know.

I'm pulling for Detroit, they haven't made it for awhile and I still like Copp and Chiarot.
Yes. There was a reply that mentioned Philly can still clinch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad