Around the League Thread | Meaningful Games in March

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I mean he can rip the puck so I’d be surprised if he wasn’t on the radar
what makes you so sure?

Cole Sillinger a C also rated around that spot as well. Only Sillinger and Johnston drafted after the Guenter pick has played more NHL games to date. So, most anyone else would still be in the minors right now.
Don't think its a for sure either way about who they would have selected.

Adding to StreetHawk's post, the Canucks were targeting Cs and Ds. It wasn't some big secret. McTavish, Johnson, Hughes, Clarke, and Sillinger (in no particular order) were the rumoured targets before the draft. At the time of the trade it was reported that the trade was made because the Canucks knew their targets of McTavish, Johnson, Hughes, and Clarke wouldn't be there. Kuzma reported that Sillinger was the only one of interest still on the board.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Tend to agree there..I dont think they would have gone for a soft skill winger like Guenther with #9 OA (they drafted two wingers in the previous year (Hog and Podz)....Guenther has 10 goals on the season, I'm not seeing the hoopla surrounding the guy.

It wasnt a great draft, and I had no problems trading that pick, but it was the worst target...You'd think that a 9th OA would be enough currency to get you a younger RHD (like Hronek)..
I'm not sure why you keep referencing Guenther as a soft skill winger?

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I think I am on an island here, but I don't mind the puck over glass penalty... I just like the fact it is straight black and white. no BS judgement or whatever. You did or didn't do it. and not a penalty that we sometimes call and sometimes don't... or that we try and use to game manage... it just always is what it is.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Adding to StreetHawk's post, the Canucks were targeting Cs and Ds. It wasn't some big secret. McTavish, Johnson, Hughes, Clarke, and Sillinger (in no particular order) were the rumoured targets before the draft. At the time of the trade it was reported that the trade was made because the Canucks knew their targets of McTavish, Johnson, Hughes, and Clarke wouldn't be there. Kuzma reported that Sillinger was the only one of interest still on the board.
Sounds like something that they would say after to justify the trade. Guenther was expected to be long gone on most mocks so maybe they were just assuming he would be gone?

Anyway regardless Sillinger would have been an excellent choice as well as Wyatt Johnson and Fedor Svechkov who is coming along nicely for Nashville and was in that range. What a horrendous decision taking that contract back and giving away a lottery pick

Reactions: Nick Lang

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I think I am on an island here, but I don't mind the puck over glass penalty... I just like the fact it is straight black and white. no BS judgement or whatever. You did or didn't do it. and not a penalty that we sometimes call and sometimes don't... or that we try and use to game manage... it just always is what it is.
I'm in the same boat. One of the few infractions the refs actually call 99% accurately.

Most other penalties (hooking, holding, interference) aren't called based on the actual infraction. They just give a penalty out depending on the score, time of game, and penalty differential between teams. Then just look for the next excuse to call or not call one.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
cool more rules for the officials. How about just get rid of half of them

could care less if they change the puck over glass rule. at least it's not ambiguous like most of the rules they screw up calling
Its already bad enough, more stoppages and constant reviews are going to kill my interest even more.

The offsides alone are brutal, every goal can't even celebrate, gotta wait to see if maybe there was an offside several mins earlier by 0.7cm.

And then the actual reviews take six, seven plus mins... ridic.

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
lol the tsn “insider” panel just kissing Parros’ ass even though he’s objectively done a shitty job

• Haha
Reactions: quat

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Really need Tampa to come through with a win today.

Would be so hilarious to see Vegas miss the playoffs while Mark Stone watches from the sidelines.

• Haha
Reactions: vanuck

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I'm not sure why you keep referencing Guenther as a soft skill winger?
It’s not a derogatory term..Just a way to classify forwards..Ebele,Marner etc..Pretty much the opposite of a gritty ‘hard skill’ power forward (like Matt Tkachuk).

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Idk if its systems or deployment or what but Malkin, Graves, Letang and EK have looked bad to awful nearly every pens game I've watched (alot).

Bunting however looks better than in Carolina, that trade may look good for kyle overall especially if Guentzel signs for the expected huge dollars.

They should be a playoff team but between their defense, goaltending, or offense struggling all at random different times, they're done.

Should be an interesting offseason in Pennsylvania.

Reactions: mossey3535

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Idk if its systems or deployment or what but Malkin, Graves, Letang and EK have looked bad to awful nearly every pens game I've watched (alot).

Bunting however looks better than in Carolina, that trade may look good for kyle overall especially if Guentzel signs for the expected huge dollars.

They should be a playoff team but between their defense, goaltending, or offense struggling all at random different times, they're done.

Should be an interesting offseason in Pennsylvania.
I think Malkin is just done.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Vegas really needs to win their next two games. That schedule looks really rough up until their last two of the season.

Getting slightly interesting?

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Having the capspace and assets to add Guentzel would have been incredible. Can't imagine how significantly he'd impact this forward core, and benefit Pettersson.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm in the same boat. One of the few infractions the refs actually call 99% accurately.

Most other penalties (hooking, holding, interference) aren't called based on the actual infraction. They just give a penalty out depending on the score, time of game, and penalty differential between teams. Then just look for the next excuse to call or not call one.
If you are old enough to recall the pre 2000's I'd say a few pucks would go over the glass in a game. Now, you don't have that, which is good.

Reactions: krutovsdonut

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Sounds like something that they would say after to justify the trade. Guenther was expected to be long gone on most mocks so maybe they were just assuming he would be gone?

But we had the same reporting of targets prior to the draft. This draft was pretty much Power and everyone else in terms of guessing where other players would be picked with Berniers being the only player considered to be in contention for #1 (and even then Berniers wasn't a consensus #2). McKenzie had McTavish ahead of Guenther and Mctavish was named as one of the targets (albeit McTavish was a late and strong riser so I would expect some mock drafts to not capture the rise).

If you go by Central Scouting, they had Mctavish, Johnson, and Hughes ahead of Guenther. Throw in the fact that (despite my personal believes) that it wasn't a lock that NJ would pick Luke Hughes, NJ did pick Luke. Point is Guenther wasn't some top 3 or even top 5 lock. This wasn't the draft.

Anyway regardless Sillinger would have been an excellent choice as well as Wyatt Johnson and Fedor Svechkov who is coming along nicely for Nashville and was in that range. What a horrendous decision taking that contract back and giving away a lottery pick

Sillinger was my choice for BPA at #9 at the time ya.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005

There was a consensus top 9 that year.

I didn't particularly want Guenther. I wanted Eklund, Johnson, or Hughes.

But anyhow, it really seemed like the top 9 had separated themselves and Guenther was the one left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad