Around the League Thread | Meaningful Games in March

Status
Not open for further replies.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Monahan and Toffoli on a line together that cost a 1st, 2nd and two 3rds (conditional) to acquire.

Admittedly, we paid less considering we dumped Kuzmenko but damn if it doesn't feel a little disappointing how much better value Winnipeg got.
I said at the time, considering the price paid for Toffoli, that was one they really missed out on.

Devils are a grim reminder that 'improvement' in the NHL is never linear. In one season everything goes right and the team improbably makes the playoffs.

Then the following year, everything goes wrong; the injuries pile up; and the coach walks the plank. Replacing Lindy Ruff with Travis Green seemed like a move borne of desperation.

But if the Devils miss as expected, this is all on the GM. Why he waited most of the year to address the black hole in goal is a complete mystery. Cost them the season.
The goaltending is obviously a huge issue, and a complete failure to address it by Fitzgerald.

But as someone who follows the Devils closely, the GM's biggest mistake was really not addressing the coaching sooner. Lindy managed the team hideously. Even last season, his decision-making was awful and they won in spite of his mis-management. Fitz wasted the season with Lindy.

TG was the assistant coach. He's coming in as the interim, and a HC decision will be made in the offseason. That's not really a desperation move, more of a "giving up now" move. But they couldn't have Ruff remain as HC any longer.

Reactions: andora

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Why didn't we go for him?

Kind of wonder if Allvin was a little gun shy.

While Zadorov has worked out fine, I suspect they hoped he had more to offer given his lofty contract aspirations. Now it's looking like we're just going to let him walk. Which, again, is perfectly fine but it's no secret they hoped to sign him long term.

Lindholm is pretty obviously just a disappointment. Part of me thinks he was insurance because they couldn't get an answer from Pettersson's camp. To be a little fair on management. Nobody expected him to be this bad, relatively speaking.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Kind of wonder if Allvin was a little gun shy.

While Zadorov has worked out fine, I suspect they hoped he had more to offer given his lofty contract aspirations. Now it's looking like we're just going to let him walk. Which, again, is perfectly fine but it's no secret they hoped to sign him long term.

Lindholm is pretty obviously just a disappointment. Part of me thinks he was insurance because they couldn't get an answer from Pettersson's camp. To be a little fair on management. Nobody expected him to be this bad, relatively speaking.
Lindholm will be okay just not the point producer that was expected. But this happens when a player's production is a result of who he plays with and his role on a team.
What the team is getting is a veteran that can score but has experienced pressure before.
It could be that Lindholm knows he will not be here. Certainly his contract will not be a large as he would have wanted if he stays and IMO he isn't a good enough player for a long term clause contract.
Still he could end up lighting it up once Tocchet stops mixing up the lines. Just move Boeser to the second or third line and have him play with Miller and Pettersson or Miller and Joshua or EP and Hogs more often. Hogs is playing good but still finding his game.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Lindholm will be okay just not the point producer that was expected. But this happens when a player's production is a result of who he plays with and his role on a team.
What the team is getting is a veteran that can score but has experienced pressure before.
It could be that Lindholm knows he will not be here. Certainly his contract will not be a large as he would have wanted if he stays and IMO he isn't a good enough player for a long term clause contract.
Still he could end up lighting it up once Tocchet stops mixing up the lines. Just move Boeser to the second or third line and have him play with Miller and Pettersson or Miller and Joshua or EP and Hogs more often. Hogs is playing good but still finding his game.
Let him be between Garland and Joshua. Basically play the Blueger role on that line. It was an effective line and was driven primarily by the wingers and not the center.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Caps might make the playoffs. Pretty crazy with their leading scorer being Dylan Strome

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Despite certain posters pumping his tires I still don't see it with Wolf.

I hope he makes it and gets that money, but he looks like a kid in net, the jump from ahl to nhl shooters is just going to be too big and will only widen with time, the more the shooters learn his tendencies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

I hope he makes it and gets that money, but he looks like a kid in net, the jump from ahl to nhl shooters is just going to be too big and will only widen with time, the more the shooters learn his tendencies.

His AHL numbers are incredible and every time I’ve seen him there he’s been a stone wall. It’s not just posters hyping up a random guy. He’s been the best goalie in the AHL for three years in a row.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The sweet painful irony of this tweet. Benning f***ing loved guys who could rip the puck.

Said this many times, the Canucks wouldn't have drafted Guenther. Let's hope we win a Cup with Garland.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I'm f***ing seething watching Toffoli put up 4 goals in 2 games, meanwhile our f***ing prize has 2 assists in his last 13 games.
yes 12 goals between him and Monahan and we got the lifeless Lindholm. So far he's been a complete waste of assets.

said at the time we needed to replace Suter in the top6. 1 goal in his last 20 games with some PP usage and alongside the 12million dollar man.

Not a chance i bring him back so far he's turning out like Derrick Roy

He's 22. and already this good. Good chance your gonna be wrong most 22yr olds are not getting NHL games and dominating the AHL. Admittingly i dont know shit about the technical aspects of goaltending and as someone once said they can be voodoo.....@mossey3535 time to set us straight.
Said this many times, the Canucks wouldn't have drafted Guenther. Let's hope we win a Cup with Garland.
what makes you so sure?

Reactions: vancityluongo

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
what makes you so sure?
Cole Sillinger a C also rated around that spot as well. Only Sillinger and Johnston drafted after the Guenter pick has played more NHL games to date. So, most anyone else would still be in the minors right now.
Don't think its a for sure either way about who they would have selected.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's 22. and already this good. Good chance your gonna be wrong most 22yr olds are not getting NHL games and dominating the AHL. Admittingly i dont know shit about the technical aspects of goaltending and as someone once said they can be voodoo.....@mossey3535 time to set us straight.

Yeah, he’s still way ahead of the curve.

Only 1 goalie younger than him (Devon Levi, by a couple months) has played more games than him this year, and this is the complete list of goalies born after Jan 1 2000 who have played 10+ games with a .900 save % this year :

Joel Hofer

Wolf was the 2nd guy on that list before last night.

In today’s NHL virtually no goaltenders produce above-average results before age 25.

I did think he’d make an impact a bit quicker given how absurdly dominant he’s been in the AHL, but he’s hardly been terrible and is hanging around league average numbers while playing for a team with lousy defensive metrics.

Reactions: andora and sting101

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Yeah, he’s still way ahead of the curve.

Only 1 goalie younger than him (Devon Levi, by a couple months) has played more games than him this year, and this is the complete list of goalies born after Jan 1 2000 who have played 10+ games with a .900 save % this year :

Joel Hofer

Wolf was the 2nd guy on that list before last night.

In today’s NHL virtually no goaltenders produce above-average results before age 25.

I did think he’d make an impact a bit quicker given how absurdly dominant he’s been in the AHL, but he’s hardly been terrible and is hanging around league average numbers while playing for a team with lousy defensive metrics.

Top goalie prospects are often expected to make a quick and easy jump to the NHL, and this just isn't usually the case. It does happen sometimes, but you also get the Jakob Markstrom types who take longer.

Just get rid of the puck over the glass penalty. Its a dumb penalty, and if anyone ever intentionally does it, the ref can just call a delay of game penalty.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Cole Sillinger a C also rated around that spot as well. Only Sillinger and Johnston drafted after the Guenter pick has played more NHL games to date. So, most anyone else would still be in the minors right now.
Don't think its a for sure either way about who they would have selected.
Tend to agree there..I dont think they would have gone for a soft skill winger like Guenther with #9 OA (they drafted two wingers in the previous year (Hog and Podz)....Guenther has 10 goals on the season, I'm not seeing the hoopla surrounding the guy.

It wasnt a great draft, and I had no problems trading that pick, but it was the worst target...You'd think that a 9th OA would be enough currency to get you a younger RHD (like Hronek)..

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Tend to agree there..I dont think they would have gone for a soft skill winger like Guenther with #9 OA (they drafted two wingers in the previous year (Hog and Podz)....Guenther has 10 goals on the season, I'm not seeing the hoopla surrounding the guy.

It wasnt a great draft, and I had no problems trading that pick, but it was the worst target...You'd think that a 9th OA would be enough currency to get you a younger RHD (like Hronek)..
He’s on pace for 53 points during his rookie season. That’s fairly solid and promising production, and is better than most of the players drafted around him.

Reactions: Szechwan

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Top goalie prospects are often expected to make a quick and easy jump to the NHL, and this just isn't usually the case. It does happen sometimes, but you also get the Jakob Markstrom types who take longer.

It's really rare.

Carter Hart is the only U23 goalie in recent memory to have a big season in 40+ games, and then he immediately regressed terribly.

Just get rid of the puck over the glass penalty. Its a dumb penalty, and if anyone ever intentionally does it, the ref can just call a delay of game penalty.

Dumbest rule in sports.

There are like 10 different ways to intentionally stop play and none of those are a penalty, but instead we punish players for accidentally stopping play. It's absurd.

And it was never even a problem in the first place other than the horde of ex-goalie colour guys HATED that the puck-over-glass thing was a penalty only on goalies ... so instead of getting rid of that dumb thing entirely they made it a stupid rule for everyone.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

I remember watching a Giants game where a guy just kept flipping the puck into the bench. No penalty.

I just never got the delay of game penalty. There's plenty of ways to get a stoppage. Hell, you see some coaches getting their teams to just continuously ice the puck. Your guys just end up getting a good rest after 2 or 3 icing calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad