Around the League Thread | Meaningful Games in March

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lat

Oct 12, 2005
How did STL end up with two men behind their goal line in 3v3 OT? I think that was on Krug.

Reactions: Indiana

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's not 'around the NHL' necessarily but it's noteworthy to see than an NBA player has apparently just been busted for influencing prop betting.

All kinds of this stuff in European soccer right now and it's only a matter of time before there are a lot more Shane Pintos involving a lot more serious charges.

Bettman gets blamed for a lot of stuff that isn't really his fault but jumping in bed with gambling is going to be an absolutely monstrous stain on the legacy and will probably be the worst single thing the league has done under his watch.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
It's not 'around the NHL' necessarily but it's noteworthy to see than an NBA player has apparently just been busted for influencing prop betting.

All kinds of this stuff in European soccer right now and it's only a matter of time before there are a lot more Shane Pintos involving a lot more serious charges.

Bettman gets blamed for a lot of stuff that isn't really his fault but jumping in bed with gambling is going to be an absolutely monstrous stain on the legacy and will probably be the worst single thing the league has done under his watch.
He’s cooked too if you read tge Woj articles. He’s also a weirdo crypto grifter and has a discord about his wins and stuff.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華

I don't think it's a path the NHL can reverse, though. The natural order is for pro sports to be riddled with gambling, unless governments step in to rein them in. Gambling money is easy money, the kind of revenue leagues love the most. NHL in particular is also gate-driven so even if ratings drop due to people being fed up with gambling tie-ins it doesn't really affect the live experience (unless a big match fixing scandal comes to light).

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't think it's a path the NHL can reverse, though. The natural order is for pro sports to be riddled with gambling, unless governments step in to rein them in. Gambling money is easy money, the kind of revenue leagues love the most. NHL in particular is also gate-driven so even if ratings drop due to people being fed up with gambling tie-ins it doesn't really affect the live experience (unless a big match fixing scandal comes to light).

Pro sports in NA had managed to stay away from gambling for decades until the last 5 years when they've absolutely lost their minds for the easy money.

But yeah, it probably can't be reversed now.

And the big match-fixing scandal is coming, in some sport. Hopefully it's not the NHL but it's coming, somewhere.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Pro sports in NA had managed to stay away from gambling for decades until the last 5 years when they've absolutely lost their minds for the easy money.

And the big match-fixing scandal is coming, in some sport. Hopefully it's not the NHL but it's coming, somewhere.
Outside of goalie, hard to envision a situation where a skater could impact the game. I mean, you could have given up the puck 30 seconds earlier and if the player and other teammates rag the puck the entire time and put it in the net, you get a second assist, so if you were trying to go under on your points for the game, you have zero control over that. Or you blow all of your defensive assignments, but then there is still the goalie to bail the team out and the HC likely to bench you for multiple poor plays.

But, all leagues are going with the gambling money. Players are going to get busted for it.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
My concern for matchups are against large, defensively sound teams. It's often poor hockey to watch and the Canucks don't seem to be able to reliably overcome those teams. It sucks getting shut down.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
My concern for matchups are against large, defensively sound teams. It's often poor hockey to watch and the Canucks don't seem to be able to reliably overcome those teams. It sucks getting shut down.
The entire Western Conference playoff teams currently fit this description though.

The Kings just really stand out because of the fact they wont forecheck without prospect of getting to a puck or unless they are behind by a couple goals. So getting them 1st round would suck just from a entertainment standpoint at minimum as they burn the clock with that crap

It's kinda sad that the NHL hasn't put provisions in to eliminate trapping the neutral zone 5 v5 for at least the first 50 minutes of the game. It's an absolutely disgusting way to play and should be blown down for illegal defence (unsportsmanlike conduct) IMO.

2 offensive zone faceoffs as warnings and then penalties for it after. Would love to see Bettman and the league grow a set of balls and do it.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Bush league if they skip the award show. Not that I watch it but still.

I don't go out of my way to watch it unless some Canucks are nominated, but the Awards show - to me - is more important than the ASG. Let some players have their moment of appreciation / flowers, especially those guys who had a great season they might never duplicate. Would be absolutely terrible (but on brand for the NHL) to cancel the show.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Outside of goalie, hard to envision a situation where a skater could impact the game. I mean, you could have given up the puck 30 seconds earlier and if the player and other teammates rag the puck the entire time and put it in the net, you get a second assist, so if you were trying to go under on your points for the game, you have zero control over that. Or you blow all of your defensive assignments, but then there is still the goalie to bail the team out and the HC likely to bench you for multiple poor plays.

But, all leagues are going with the gambling money. Players are going to get busted for it.
Have to be more subtle about it like letting in a goal from center ice like TrashCanDan did.:naughty:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

But that also coincides with US Supreme Court decision to legalize sports gambling at the state level. So you're giving the leagues too much credit here.

The laws surrounding sports gambling vs online sports gambling in the States is odd. Like there's not even a correlation between states that have legalized marijuana and states that have legalized online sports gambling.

Regardless, it's legal in Canada. Even PlayNow advertises sports gambling and trying to take out competitors.

In reality, match-fixing scandals have always been an issue whether it be the players or referees. I guess one solace is that players trying to fix prop bets can be identified like the NBA player you referenced for unusual activity. It's probably harder to catch the top players though.

Reactions: Indiana

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I have a buddy who played with Barzal. Always felt it would be fairly easy for all of us to put 1K on Barzal o3.5 shots for example, knowing he will just fire the puck from anywhere that night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad