Around the League Thread: 2017 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Rogers + CBC signed a seven year deal today
(I really wonder if CBC couldn't have gone with TSN. that woulda been somethin)

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I haven't been looking at the standings real closely lately, but dang Boston is 6 points back with 4 games in hand. Let's go Sabres.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Bruins aren't slowing down right now. Hope the Leafs can come away with a lot of points to close out the year and keep that distance.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
One thing with Vegas is that their three of their four top goal scorers are shooting 5% or more than their career averages... Neal: 17%; Marchessault: 15%; Karlsson: 22%

It will be interesting to see if this corrects itself in the second half of the season.

Still what an unbelievable year for that group of castoffs (basically)

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

The missteps in their own zone came as Carlyle opted to sit a healthy Brandon Montour in a surprise move. Montour leads the Ducks’ defensemen with six goals and 16 points and his skating skills would have seemed effective against the fleet-footed Rangers, whose whole attack is about speed.

But with his offensive play tailing off, Montour met with Carlyle before the game. The coach explained his rationale behind his decision to sit Montour. Too much risk was entering back into his game and his struggles Monday in their loss to the Devils was singled out.

“A coach’s decision is based upon what are your expectations of the player,” Carlyle said. “A minus-3 last night in New Jersey. I’ve instructed him that I don’t expect him to be a perfect hockey player. But I expect that he has to play defense first. And we need people that are going to commit to the system."

“I felt there was some areas that he needed to shore up. I told him so and that’s what goes into a coach’s decision. He’s a good player and he’s going to continue to be a good player. We believe that. This is a learning curve for a young player where you can’t just play the rover game.”

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Brayden Schenn makes a great individual effort to skate through the Calgary Flames defense before ripping a wicked shot for a power-play goal in the 2nd period.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Andrew Shaw and defenceman Joe Morrow had to be separated by teammates at a practice from the Scotiabank Saddledome in Calgary.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Bruins win again. 2 points back with 3 games in hand :mad:
One positive is that we are almost on the opposite sides of how home and away games have been distributed. Bruins have played 18 home games to our 16, but have only played 14 road games to our 20.

It will be interesting 2nd half of the year, we have a bunch of home games we need to capitalize on. I have no idea how our schedule ended up like this. It is not like we are hosting the WJC again.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Wow, Canes beat Nashville in Nashville 4-1 with Hanifin getting a goal and 2 assists. Nice rebound by the Canes.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Yea Leafs need to get their **** together. Lost a lot of ground lately..

Yeah they've lost some ground but they were also bound to hit a slump at some point. The important thing is that they still have a nice gap between the Habs and Red Wings because that keeps them away from the tight wild card race. Otherwise they'll just be jockeying for home ice against Boston in round one.

Inadvertently is almost seems like winning the division this year might draw a tougher opponent from the Metro who are all around those wild card spots.

@93LEAFS - also looking at scheduling: The Leafs are 5-2-1 against their own division so far this season. In addition to more home games they have a lot more divisional games in the second half. So long as they bust out of the slump they will have a great chance to go on a few streaks down the stretch.

They just need to get out of this road trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad