Around the League Thread: 2017 Season Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Unless there's an Yzerman or Bowman readily available when Lou calls it quits, I can't see why you wouldn't place your bets on the people that have been a part of building the plan that the Leafs currently have.

And Chayka's made good trades & drafts, while Botterill is a cap genius that got thrown into a dumpster fire that the players with issues on the Sabres were supposed to be core players unlike the Leafs minus Kessel, so he can't just sell off everything

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I've got zero attachment to Reimer, but to be fair, you could say the same thing about Andersen for many games this season.

Though based on the last couple games at least he looks poised to go on a hot streak.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I've got zero attachment to Reimer, but to be fair, you could say the same thing about Andersen for many games this season.

Though based on the last couple games at least he looks poised to go on a hot streak.

Fun facts:
1 - Andersen leads the NHL in games played
2 - Andersen is 2nd in the NHL in wins

Yeah I know, that doesn't tell the whole story. It is a part of the story though. And of course these facts are ... fun. :)

Reactions: carko32

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Guys mikeyg here with a hot take

Jack eichel is the most pathetic best player of any nhl team. This guys attitude flat out sucks, hes a cry baby and he really just strikes me as the opposite of a championship player. I'm going to vomit if one more person tells me hes on matthews' level. That scout was right, he cant carry matthews' skates. He puts up points sure, but he also has games like a couple days ago where he plays like a chump. Imo he thinks hes a superstar. Hes selfish, brags about his linemates sucking and needing to just shoot (not necessarily saying that this is bad). Theres just something about the guy that I just cant stand.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Jack eichel is the most pathetic best player of any nhl team. This guys attitude flat out sucks, hes a cry baby and he really just strikes me as the opposite of a championship player. I'm going to vomit if one more person tells me hes on matthews' level. That scout was right, he cant carry matthews' skates. He puts up points sure, but he also has games like a couple days ago where he plays like a chump. Imo he thinks hes a superstar. Hes selfish, brags about his linemates sucking and needing to just shoot (not necessarily saying that this is bad). Theres just something about the guy that I just cant stand.

He also just got a 10 year, $8 million dollar contract to feed his ego. And played a part in his old coach getting fired.

Reactions: CanadasTeam

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Yeah he allegedly told terry that he wanted him and timmy gone. Dude is gutless.

He's never going to reach his potential with these issues .. No self accountability will hurt him.

In other news it looks like the Coyotes are trying to match the Av's awfulness of last season.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He's never going to reach his potential with these issues .. No self accountability will hurt him.

In other news it looks like the Coyotes are trying to match the Av's awfulness of last season.

With the additions the Coyotes made in the off-season I thought they would do alright this year, not playoffs good but better

Boys was i wrong

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Eichel reminds me a lot of Phil Kessel. Great player but you are in trouble if he’s your best player. Really think Eichel is an elite talent but he’s far more suited to play wing instead of centre. He’s not ready to be a centre in the NHL.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Could you imagine if eichel was a leaf, dude would get hammered every hour of the day by simmonds and the boys. It literally wouldn't even matter how he played on the ice either. It would just be 2 hour shows focused on eichel giving hyman a death glare for muffing an empty netter.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
now the question will beg -
will the Draft Gods be nice to them, or will we see crazy pants results at the lottery.
That is the question. Certainly the Draft Gods enjoyed not only having Colorado suck hard last year, but then kick them in the shins for the draft. Could be the same tale for Arizona. But maybe they do get lucky.

Going to be a long year for that team regardless.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Buffalo as a team, but Eichel certainly hasn’t been bad
He'd drive most fan bases insane with his inconsistency of effort. I don't think he was ready for a letter or the pressure that comes with his deal. He wears his heart on his sleeve, and it I don't think it creates much harmony in struggling situations. This is compared to the more stoic approach of Matthews and McDavid.

I don't think he's worth painting as Kessel like, he's still too young to start throwing that around. Remember, at this age, Kessel was just breaking out on Savard's wing. I see a lot of Buffalo fans throwing around the name Turgeon. While they have some similarities, in that they are both uberly skilled, and can be inconsistent. While neither might be great leader but for completely opposite reasons. Pierre simply was too passive and to himself to handle being captain, especially of a team like the Habs. Eichel on the other hand, might just be too volatile and not level-headed enough. While he deserves some of the blame for where Buffalo is, there is a hell of a lot of blame to go around. Of their highly hyped guys, I'd put more blame on Risto, who simply isn't good defensively or much better than a 2/3 in at 5v5. He looks like the Finnish Franson a lot of the time. Reinhart while skilled just may not have the ability to create time and space to utilize his IQ.

Eichel hasn't been bad, but he hasn't been the elite guy they hoped he would be. Great scorer, what else he has in the wheelhouse is debatable. Also, the way Murray sold futures and spent recklessly in an attempt to do that has made them extremely depended on Nylander and Mittelstadt. Nylander hasn't played this year, and Mittelstadt is a wildcard.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
yah but Shanahan + Yzerman were hired after a long search. i think ultimately - that's all i want. just don't handed to anyone. internal or otherwise.

The optics of the Shanahan hire were different than what we're talking about though. The Leafs were in a bad place and desperately needed some strong leadership. It was clear that the organization needed a lot of change, and that there was a lot wrong within it. An internal hire in that situation was not a good thing. The team needed someone who could come in with a fresh slate and who wasn't stuck with past ties or internal politics. He could come in and observe and do what he needed to do. Now I don't remember the optics of the Yzerman hire but the Lighting had spent three straight years being in the bottom 5 (actually two in a row bottom two, and then the year Yzerman was hired they were 25th in the league). I suspect they were seeing a very similar thing to what the Leafs, and recognized the need for an outside voice who wasn't tied down by politics or the normal way of thinking that had led to three straight bottom of the league finishes.

I understand what you're saying. You want to make sure we don't turn aside good candidates and ignore them because they don't understand the processes and ways the Leafs currently run. And I doubt they will, but honestly the best candidate is likely within the Leafs. When an organization is running well, succession is best done within. This is because the internal person has likely been developed in their role well, and has a strong understanding of the way the team runs. This is a good thing when the organization is running in a healthy way. It's when it isn't healthy that you need that sort of change, or when the person being succeeded has been in their role at the organization for a long time and change at that point is healthy.

With Shanahan being a recent hire himself, and Lou also only being here for what will be three years, that long term change isn't a need. And the organization by all intents and purposes, is a healthy one. It is far better to set up an internal hire and prepare him for that transition slowly without public pressure, than it is to bring a new person in and have him go through that transition and figuring out the team publicly. The best example I can give you hockey wise is when Stan Bowman took over (though it's not a perfect example since Tallon was fired...but I digress)

It's a healthy thing for the organization to promote internally. An external hire would have to way outweigh the potential internal person. In a very, very big way. And I think you can look at the speculation that analysts have had about Hunter and Dubas being desired by other teams, and the whole hullaballoo about Colorado wanting to hire Dubas, and be confident that our two internal front runners are very good candidates to take over for Lou (if that's even the plan...for all we know he could just keep on going).

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Unless there's an Yzerman or Bowman readily available when Lou calls it quits, I can't see why you wouldn't place your bets on the people that have been a part of building the plan that the Leafs currently have.

And Chayka's made good trades & drafts, while Botterill is a cap genius that got thrown into a dumpster fire that the players with issues on the Sabres were supposed to be core players unlike the Leafs minus Kessel, so he can't just sell off everything

There is a Bowman and an Yzerman available. They're names are Hunter and Dubas. That is what the whole point of having Lou in the first place was. It was to bring up a replacement slowly like Bowman was slowly brought into the Blackhawks, it was to develop an Yzerman or a Botteril that other teams really want. Those two are those people.

Before Bowman became what he is, he was Scotty's son and people questioned if he was just getting the job because of that. Before Yzerman was Yzerman, people questioned if he was just a player playing on his famous name. There were just as many questions about them as people will have about Hunter or Dubas. And there will be just as many questions for an external hire (if not more).

Reactions: stymie

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The optics of the Shanahan hire were different than what we're talking about though. The Leafs were in a bad place and desperately needed some strong leadership. It was clear that the organization needed a lot of change, and that there was a lot wrong within it. An internal hire in that situation was not a good thing. The team needed someone who could come in with a fresh slate and who wasn't stuck with past ties or internal politics. He could come in and observe and do what he needed to do. Now I don't remember the optics of the Yzerman hire but the Lighting had spent three straight years being in the bottom 5 (actually two in a row bottom two, and then the year Yzerman was hired they were 25th in the league). I suspect they were seeing a very similar thing to what the Leafs, and recognized the need for an outside voice who wasn't tied down by politics or the normal way of thinking that had led to three straight bottom of the league finishes.

I understand what you're saying. You want to make sure we don't turn aside good candidates and ignore them because they don't understand the processes and ways the Leafs currently run. And I doubt they will, but honestly the best candidate is likely within the Leafs. When an organization is running well, succession is best done within. This is because the internal person has likely been developed in their role well, and has a strong understanding of the way the team runs. This is a good thing when the organization is running in a healthy way. It's when it isn't healthy that you need that sort of change, or when the person being succeeded has been in their role at the organization for a long time and change at that point is healthy.

With Shanahan being a recent hire himself, and Lou also only being here for what will be three years, that long term change isn't a need. And the organization by all intents and purposes, is a healthy one. It is far better to set up an internal hire and prepare him for that transition slowly without public pressure, than it is to bring a new person in and have him go through that transition and figuring out the team publicly. The best example I can give you hockey wise is when Stan Bowman took over (though it's not a perfect example since Tallon was fired...but I digress)

It's a healthy thing for the organization to promote internally. An external hire would have to way outweigh the potential internal person. In a very, very big way. And I think you can look at the speculation that analysts have had about Hunter and Dubas being desired by other teams, and the whole hullaballoo about Colorado wanting to hire Dubas, and be confident that our two internal front runners are very good candidates to take over for Lou (if that's even the plan...for all we know he could just keep on going).

thanks for that, Wook :)

paul pearce

Oct 4, 2017

ive never liked eichel he is way to overhyped. overrated. he shouldnt be talked about about in the same sentence as mathews,mcdavid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad