Around the League Thread: 2017 Season Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
I've never been so unimpressed by a player that puts up points than I ever have with Mark Scheifele. How does this kid just keep putting up points?! Superstar or star players have this element to their game that "WOW"s you but I just don't see anything when I watch Scheifele play. He's not the best skater, his stickhandling isn't super impressive, his shot isn't the best, he sucks at faceoffs...I don't get it.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I wasn’t arguing that.

You said he looked awful. He hasn’t. He’s look good

He’s looked bad. There are Sabres fans that are comparing him to Vanek and that he’s way too disinterested if things don’t go his way in the first couple of shifts. Fans saying he needs to be more like Matthews and play well in his own zone to get chances the other way and go towards the net like Matthews does.

I think the Sabres made a huge mistake by going rookie GM again and a rookie coach. There was too much at stake to go lean again. They needed experience.

Their defense sucks. If Ristolainen who has by far the worst CA/60 since he entered the league is playing 25+ mins, you are in trouble. He sucks at even strength and is playing way above his head. Buffalo needs some luck. They badly need Dahlin. If I was Buffalo, I’d package whatever it takes besides Eichel to get Dahlin if they don’t win the lottery.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I wasn’t arguing that.

You said he looked awful. He hasn’t. He’s look good
Eichel has been good and is always an offensive threat. He is a solid point producer and should hover near a point per game. The question with Eichel is does he fall into the same woes as the team in terms of 200 foot game and frustration? I don't want to say giving up but does he have the body language to lead them higher or just go through the motions while getting points.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
He’s looked bad. There are Sabres fans that are comparing him to Vanek and that he’s way too disinterested if things don’t go his way in the first couple of shifts. Fans saying he needs to be more like Matthews and play well in his own zone to get chances the other way and go towards the net like Matthews does.

I think the Sabres made a huge mistake by going rookie GM again and a rookie coach. There was too much at stake to go lean again. They needed experience.

Their defense sucks. If Ristolainen who has by far the worst CA/60 since he entered the league is playing 25+ mins, you are in trouble. He sucks at even strength and is playing way above his head. Buffalo needs some luck. They badly need Dahlin. If I was Buffalo, I’d package whatever it takes besides Eichel to get Dahlin if they don’t win the lottery.

this is why i'm nervous what happens when Lou goes. People here are so high up on Dubas (or Hunter) and while I am a firm believer that everyone should be presented a chance (I mean, look at Shanahan). i will say looking at a lot of the recent rookie GMs, make me hope that Shanahan does an exhaustive hunt before he names Lou's successor and get the best person for the job, not just pick the sexy up and commer because "it's time" or he was "promised" or whatever. the last thing this organiazation needs is to go backwards.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
this is why i'm nervous what happens when Lou goes. People here are so high up on Dubas (or Hunter) and while I am a firm believer that everyone should be presented a chance (I mean, look at Shanahan). i will say looking at a lot of the recent rookie GMs, make me hope that Shanahan does an exhaustive hunt before he names Lou's successor and get the best person for the job, not just pick the sexy up and commer because "it's time" or he was "promised" or whatever. the last thing this organiazation needs is to go backwards.
I think when Dubas or Hunter (and I think it's a when not an if) are eventually given the keys to the car the training wheels will still be on...for a little while at least. Lou will slip into an advisory capacity a la Fletcher to be available for consultation on player personnel decisions and such. I'm not worried about succession one bit.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Internal promotion from one of Dubas/Hunter would seem far less disruptive of the Leas rebuild/build plans than to bring in an outsider.

Personally I'd be very happy with either one of those guys.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

In terms of successors in business (talking broad based, and not hockey specific), there is substantial evidence to show that internal hires are generally more successful. And realistically this is what has been speculated as the plan. The apparent whole point of having Lou was to slowly grow a young internal executive (whether Dubas or Hunter) for the purpose of not being thrown into things. I see no reason why it would be something to worry about.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I've never been so unimpressed by a player that puts up points than I ever have with Mark Scheifele. How does this kid just keep putting up points?! Superstar or star players have this element to their game that "WOW"s you but I just don't see anything when I watch Scheifele play. He's not the best skater, his stickhandling isn't super impressive, his shot isn't the best, he sucks at faceoffs...I don't get it.
He's really, really smart, and there's maybe not a forward in the league who puts as much time into studying his opposition as he does.

He also executes all kinds of plays with great efficiency.

I don't agree with his reputation as a great two-way forward though.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I think when Dubas or Hunter (and I think it's a when not an if) are eventually given the keys to the car the training wheels will still be on...for a little while at least. Lou will slip into an advisory capacity a la Fletcher to be available for consultation on player personnel decisions and such. I'm not worried about succession one bit.

well they could be there but it doesn't mean they'll be right for the job. and that's that would make me concerned, quite frankly. the guy in Buffalo was being groomed for a GM for ages but he's not really taking to the position like a duck to water.

i don't want to make this like I'm against Hunter or Dubas. but I am going to be apprehensive that it won't be the right/best decision.

Internal promotion from one of Dubas/Hunter would seem far less disruptive of the Leas rebuild/build plans than to bring in an outsider.

Personally I'd be very happy with either one of those guys.

why? like why would you be happy with one of these guys. to me I don't think it's about being disruptive, for me it's the capability of doing the job and doing it well. All of these highly regarded up and coming GMs, Chyaka, the Buffalo GM seem to be sinking. i know that you are very much against 'Old Boys Club", and I don't want to make it sound like we should get someone established for the sake of doing so, but the trend of young stats heavy and really 'attuned to the game' isn't going v. well.

In terms of successors in business (talking broad based, and not hockey specific), there is substantial evidence to show that internal hires are generally more successful. And realistically this is what has been speculated as the plan. The apparent whole point of having Lou was to slowly grow a young internal executive (whether Dubas or Hunter) for the purpose of not being thrown into things. I see no reason why it would be something to worry about.

well my main thing has been and always will be that Shanahan find the best person period. I don't disagree with your premise at all Wook, but i think we can also argue that you can get a good external person to come in as well.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Florida Panthers: James Reimer failing to run away with starting gig

Knowing Leafs fans myself, I know there are a sub-section of Reimer fans still in blue and white ...and some who kinda root against him. Thanks anyways for the clicks and reads.
I wish James all the best getting back on track (except when he plays the Leafs). He is a quality person and no matter what happened I know he always gave his best for us to win. It didn't always turn out way.
Best of luck.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
why? like why would you be happy with one of these guys. to me I don't think it's about being disruptive, for me it's the capability of doing the job and doing it well. All of these highly regarded up and coming GMs, Chyaka, the Buffalo GM seem to be sinking. i know that you are very much against 'Old Boys Club", and I don't want to make it sound like we should get someone established for the sake of doing so, but the trend of young stats heavy and really 'attuned to the game' isn't going v. well.

For me it's about a sense of how these guys broadly think about the game (their 'philosophy' towards it). Both (though Dubas more so imo) tend to have pretty progressive approaches towards making decisions, taking into account mix of stats/eye test, open to new ways of doing things: they remind me a lot of Yzerman and Bowman the two best GMs in pro hockey (though admittedly Bowman this season has done some odd things).

Thing is with situations like Arizona and Buffalo, these rookie GMs were walking into a tire fire, it's going to take time for them to try to sort those situations out. One could also point to complete amateurs like Yzerman, or even Shanahan himself who managed to jump right into their jobs and thrive.

At the end of the day i'm sure Shanahan will get the right person for the position. ANd i won't be outraged if its an external candidate either, but i just like what i see when it comes to available 'in house' options.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
For me it's about a sense of how these guys broadly think about the game (their 'philosophy' towards it). Both (though Dubas more so imo) tend to have pretty progressive approaches towards making decisions, taking into account mix of stats/eye test, open to new ways of doing things: they remind me a lot of Yzerman and Bowman the two best GMs in pro hockey (though admittedly Bowman this season has done some odd things).

Thing is with situations like Arizona and Buffalo, these rookie GMs were walking into a tire fire, it's going to take time for them to try to sort those situations out. One could also point to complete amateurs like Yzerman, or even Shanahan himself who managed to jump right into their jobs and thrive.

At the end of the day i'm sure Shanahan will get the right person for the position. ANd i won't be outraged if its an external candidate either, but i just like what i see when it comes to available 'in house' options.

yah but Shanahan + Yzerman were hired after a long search. i think ultimately - that's all i want. just don't handed to anyone. internal or otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad