Around the League the First: Government Shutdown Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
agree with some and disagree with some here but my main point was that I believe that Oates is an 'elite' coach not only in regards to systems and figuring out how to counter opponents, but his ability to connect with his players is a skill that he excells at and considers to be of great importance. it has obviously paid high dividents so far this year and last. it's a thing he places alot of value on and is unique in the league. the players have responded accordingly. the jury is still out on Muller as far as I'm concerned but the excuses have come to an end. it's time for results.

:laugh: It's paid high dividends so far this year? You mean all 1 game of this year? :laugh:

Seriously though, if you think Oates is an elite coach, I have no problem with that and he may very well be one. He did a good job last year, but I won't conclude that without a few more seasons under his belt though. But let's not act like Oates has taken over a team without talent as well.

Regarding Muller, I do agree the jury is still out. What I am really looking for from him is how he reacts and adapts as the season progresses and if he can get the team to avoid long slumps. This team hasn't been able to pick themselves up when things go bad over the past couple of seasons (regardless of who has coached them). But unless the Canes find a real PP QB, I do not expect the Canes PP to get much better no matter who coaches it.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Seriously, it's a little early to crown Oates. I get to follow the Caps very closely as my wife is a Caps fan and I live in their territory. I do think he is going to be a very good coach, but all he has done so far is exactly what the last two Caps coaches did. Make the playoffs and flame out. As pointed out, they've had this kind of PP before. It's not like Oates is taking some group of misfits and transforming them into contenders like Dave Tippett has done. He's taking a team that has been good and keeping them at a good level. And so far, he's only done that from the friendly confines of the SE division. We'll see what he does this full season. I do think he will be a very good coach, but he's done nothing to be an elite coach yet.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
:laugh: It's paid high dividends so far this year? You mean all 1 game of this year? :laugh:

Seriously though, if you think Oates is an elite coach, I have no problem with that and he may very well be one. He did a good job last year, but I won't conclude that without a few more seasons under his belt though. But let's not act like Oates has taken over a team without talent as well.

Regarding Muller, I do agree the jury is still out. What I am really looking for from him is how he reacts and adapts as the season progresses and if he can get the team to avoid long slumps. This team hasn't been able to pick themselves up when things go bad over the past couple of seasons (regardless of who has coached them). But unless the Canes find a real PP QB, I do not expect the Canes PP to get much better no matter who coaches it.

so far this year meaning preseason as well which yes, is perhaps insignificant for analysis. however, I will include the off season as well and last year. OV going is crucial to Cap's success no? what he did for OV last year was huge, no? flying to Russia in the summer to meet with OV, Kuznetsov, et al to bond or connect, to demonstrate interest in his team's *player's* home and with tapes discuss how he felt OV could continue to improve, etc.. what do you think this shows? this and much more since his short tenure in Washington, his experience and success in Jersey. Oates was the reason Grabo chose Washington and so far this year Grabovski has been silencing detractors. coincidence? I doubt it.

the guy who figured out the Canes and out coached Muller in that 3-2 loss at PNC which was in conjunction with other things, the beginning of the end for the Hurricanes 2012-13 season. a turning point in the Capitals season as well beginning their climb to the top of the S.E. from the bottom and on into the 2nd round of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

yes Green (but the defense is weak too), but that roster is in no way any better than the Canes' in any position. Muller has shown next to nothing that would suggest that he is nothing but an average coach at best so far imo. there have been some valid excuses thus far I concede but none are left. it is now time for Muller to perform and as yet, I have seen nothing to instill any kind of confidence, only more questions. time now will tell and I truly hope he does prove that he can compete at this level. I'm not holding my breath though from what I've witness since he took the reigns. we shall see.

furthemore, this team has absolutely the talent to produce far better results than what we have seen. results so far have been pathetic considering the level of talent they possess.

Last edited:

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
That Jacob Trouba guy would have looked great in a Canes sweater, especially right about now. :( :cry:

Yeah it was just one game, Jordan Staal, no guarantee JR would have taken him over a projected 3rd line grinder or midget forward, hindsight is 20/20, blah blah, etc...

Kid is going to be a beast :cry:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Grabo's silenced critics...based off one game?

I get that you've got the whole Russian pride thing going on. And I also get that, for whatever reason, you've been gunning for the departure of Muller since he was hired. Fine, more power to you.

But how about we wait until the Canes hit the ice before we start bringing out the torches and pitchforks, eh?

As for "what we have seen", Muller's been clear about what his plan was from the beginning. He used the first three preseason games as "Do or die" game situations for those fringe, bubble players. Clearly, the results speak for themselves. Some traded, some sent down, and 3 losses.

The last three games, he worked on improving the "regular season" roster. And again, the results speak for themselves. And while our PP hasn't quite clicked yet, our PK has looked fantastic, especially in the last 3 games.

Considering they were clicking near 75% last year in that department, I'd say that's improvement

Last edited:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
With the D brought in they might not even need to play Harrison on the PK regularly (because he's terrible at it). He could use the rest since he's inexplicably playing on the 2nd PP while Hainsey watches.

bluedevil58*

Speaking about the last 3 games, what has our overall game been like? Are we focusing on rushes, puck possession or dump and chase? I have missed the entire preseason but have my tickets for opening nights,

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Why do you keep bringing up Muller. I already said I agree the jury is still out. And I also stated that Oates has done a good job so far, just that he needs to prove himself for considerably more than 1 strike shortened season to be even considered "elite" (your words)

But if you think the Caps are "no better than the Canes in any position" (your words), you are looking at the Canes roster through rose colored glasses.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Grabo's silenced critics...based off one game?

I get that you've got the whole Russian pride thing going on. And I also get that, for whatever reason, you've been gunning for the departure of Muller since he was hired. Fine, more power to you.

But how about we wait until the Canes hit the ice before we start bringing out the torches and pitchforks, eh?

pretty sure I have suggested the 'wait and see'. Grabovski has been good so far compared to what was said about him. sure time will tell. yep. but, if we had a guy who scored a hatty first game you and everyone else would be singing his praises, Russian or not.

when Muller does something to warrant praise he'll get it. all along I have been giving him the benefit of doubt. it's time for him to show what he can do - so far he has publically taken zero responsibility and laid all on the players. again this isn't unique for most coaches. players want to play for Oates. that's huge regardless of whether or not the players are 'elite'.

Last edited:

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
Going to be long season on this board. We haven't even played a game yet arguments about Muller and coaching are already happening. It'll be hilarious to see what rocky says when we inevitably go on one of our patented losing streaks. :laugh:

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Going to be long season on this board. We haven't even played a game yet arguments about Muller and coaching are already happening. It'll be hilarious to see what rocky says when we inevitably go on one of our patented losing streaks. :laugh:

Muller will never get a free pass from me. he preaches accountibility and I expect that of him and his staff as well. if he proves to be a good coach I will say it. if not I will say so as well. so far, well........... we will see. and that's what I said from the beginning.

as well, compare the rosters. does anyone really think theirs is better, really? I don't.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Speaking about the last 3 games, what has our overall game been like? Are we focusing on rushes, puck possession or dump and chase? I have missed the entire preseason but have my tickets for opening nights,

not sure but I don't think there has been anything really 'set' yet. hope they don't play the "dump and chase" bs though regularly.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
2 penalty shots in 2 minutes (albeit in different games)

Leafs and Flyers both look good

Detroit is all over the Sabres

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
If the avs keep these three lines healthy.....scary. Mack is legit. Fast as hell with pretty good vision and surprising tenacity. The defense is atrocious though, varly had to stand on his head all game. Oreilly is a one man wrecking crew.

It took Roy all of one game to snap.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
If the avs keep these three lines healthy.....scary. Mack is legit. Fast as hell with pretty good vision and surprising tenacity. The defense is atrocious though, varly had to stand on his head all game. Oreilly is a one man wrecking crew.

It took Roy all of one game to snap.

Agreed completely. No one's talking about them at all, and MAYBE rightfully so with the D and goaltending, but that forward group is top-notch, maybe the best depth in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad