Status
Not open for further replies.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I have a message...

Let me clear my throat...

HOCKEY'S BACK!!!!! :handclap::nod::shakehead:rant::amazed::laugh:

here we go now, here we go now....ahem, ahem, ahem, GATDAM, wut?

Watching Blackhawks-Caps. On the second Hawks goal, Kane got completely lost on the cross through center ice.

Now:

Hybrid icing.

Goons circumventing ban on fighting.

Tuck rule.

GOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
Good on the Hawks for helping us out (scoreboard watching all season?)

It sucks to see Parros go down like that. One of the most respected enforcers in the league. I hope he's okay.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Yeah. That Parros injury was very scary. It's always bad when you can see it in their eyes that they're not there at all.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Raymond with a goal tonight and Grabovski with 3 (four pts.).

Oates power play begins. on paper the Caps aren't better. the guy behind the bench is one of the best though.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Really? Something that's going to happen at worst probably 50 out of the season's 4920+ minutes is going to be a problem? That's awfully specific.

I read it as Washington being a bubble playoff team (I think he's stated this before) and their PP being the thing that edges them into the playoffs. Of course I'm not him so I don't know exactly what he meant so I really shouldn't be commenting but...

EDIT: And a fire alarm at a hockey game. That's a first for me.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I read it as Washington being a bubble playoff team (I think he's stated this before) and their PP being the thing that edges them into the playoffs. Of course I'm not him so I don't know exactly what he meant so I really shouldn't be commenting but...

Yeah, how many times have the Canes had a HUGE 5-3 powerplay, where a goal would at least force overtime, then completely fail to do anything with it? If the Caps can keep up that kind of momentum on special teams, they'll be a force to be reckoned with.

And I thought that damn alarm was my tv for a minute there, was about to get all kinds of ticked off.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I highly doubt they are going to get 3 PP goals per game. And while they will most likely continue to have a potent power play among the league's best, tonight showed a lot of issues for them. The fact their PP was so good and they still blew it can't be that encouraging for them. Not to mention, if you don't score on the PP when it matters, who cares? Granted, that was against one of the best teams in the league. They'll be in the mix with many other teams, but they have work to do.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

That's pretty much what I'm saying.

If the belief is that the Canes and the Caps will be bubble teams (which seems to be the general consensus of the board), the Capitals special teams gives them a decisive edge over the Canes, since our special teams are...special...

Not that it's the end all, be all, but their special teams (if run like tonight) will be winning them games that our special teams (if run like it has lately) would lose.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Oates power play begins. on paper the Caps aren't better. the guy behind the bench is one of the best though.

Rocky, you are under-estimating the impact Mike Green has on the PP and when he was out with concussion and other issues is when their PP faltered:

2008-2009: Caps were #2 in the league; Mike Green was healthy and scored 38 PP points.
2009-2010: Caps were #1 in the league; Mike Green was healthy and scored 35 PP Points.
2010-2011: Caps were #16 in the league; Mike Green was injured (played only 49 games) and wasn't fully recovered and only scored 10 PP points.
2011-2012: Caps were #18 in the league; Mike Green was injured (played only 32 games) and only scored 4 PP points.

Low and behold, Mike Green gets healthy in 12/13 and scores 14 PP points in a strike shortened season and the Caps PP vaults back to #1 scoring at the same % that they were in 2008-2010.

I'm not at all knocking Oates as a coach, nor am I suggesting he doesn't have an impact on the PP, but saying the Canes have similar talent on the PP is something I don't agree with. We don't have a guy with a shot like Ovechkin and Stamkos (Semin's isn't on par with that) and more importantly, we don't have a Mike Green running the point.

Hopefully Murphy can develop into that, because if he does, I would expect to see a vast improvement in the PP.

Last edited:

Frank Booth239*

That's pretty much what I'm saying.

If the belief is that the Canes and the Caps will be bubble teams (which seems to be the general consensus of the board), the Capitals special teams gives them a decisive edge over the Canes, since our special teams are...special...

Not that it's the end all, be all, but their special teams (if run like tonight) will be winning them games that our special teams (if run like it has lately) would lose.

That PP looked damn scary- the only reason they didn't score on the 5 on 3 is because Crawford was all kinds of switched on.

Sigh. why can't we have nice things like that?

Oh well. At least Holtby is hot garbage. Maybe we can beat them by playing run and gun and maybe Ward gets us a 6-5 win.

faulkingdynamic

J Troll
Oct 4, 2006
Raleigh NC
Rocky, you are under-estimating the impact Mike Green has on the PP and when he was out with concussion and other issues is when their PP faltered:

2008-2009: Caps were #2 in the league; Mike Green was healthy and scored 38 PP points.
2009-2010: Caps were #1 in the league; Mike Green was healthy and scored 35 PP Points.
2010-2011: Caps were #16 in the league; Mike Green was injured (played only 49 games) and wasn't fully recovered and only scored 10 PP points.
2011-2012: Caps were #18 in the league; Mike Green was injured (played only 32 games) and only scored 4 PP points.

Low and behold, Mike Green gets healthy in 12/13 and scores 14 PP points in a strike shortened season and the Caps PP vaults back to #1 scoring at the same % that they were in 2008-2010.

I'm not at all knocking Oates as a coach, nor am I suggesting he doesn't have an impact on the PP, but saying the Canes have similar talent on the PP is something I don't agree with. We don't have a guy with a shot like Ovechkin and Stamkos (Semin's isn't on par with that) and more importantly, we don't have a Mike Green running the point.

Hopefully Murphy can develop into that, because if he does, I would expect to see a vast improvement in the PP.

This!!

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country

agree with some and disagree with some here but my main point was that I believe that Oates is an 'elite' coach not only in regards to systems and figuring out how to counter opponents, but his ability to connect with his players is a skill that he excells at and considers to be of great importance. it has obviously paid high dividents so far this year and last. it's a thing he places alot of value on and is unique in the league. the players have responded accordingly. the jury is still out on Muller as far as I'm concerned but the excuses have come to an end. it's time for results.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
agree with some and disagree with some here but my main point was that I believe that Oates is an 'elite' coach not only in regards to systems and figuring out how to counter opponents, but his ability to connect with his players is a skill that he excells at and considers to be of great importance. it has obviously paid high dividents so far this year and last. it's a thing he places alot of value on and is unique in the league. the players have responded accordingly. the jury is still out on Muller as far as I'm concerned but the excuses have come to an end. it's time for results.

Oates hasn't even coached a full season yet. Let's pump the breaks on calling him an elite coach. I remember when Guy Boucher was an elite coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad