Around the League: Second Round Starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Crazy how Josh Morrissey only got a game for that cross check to Staal's head...

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
No surprise Morrissey got 1 lousy games for a vicious cross check to the head. I wonder how many they would have given him if Staal had to be strechered off the ice. Parros is as good at this job as we was on the ice.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
No surprise Morrissey got 1 lousy games for a vicious cross check to the head. I wonder how many they would have given him if Staal had to be strechered off the ice. Parros is as good at this job as we was on the ice.

It is all about repeat offenders and history.

However, I don't think the Leafs usually get any breaks so the best option is to not give the league any opportunities to weigh in.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
So after watching game 3 on the Sharks feed, I decided to switch to the Ducks feed for game . I like both teams, but damn how can people think the media has a Toronto bias? Both feeds are complaining about the other team near constantly. I wish commentators for Leafs games defended the team that vigorously.

Personally, I don’t care for that style.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It is all about repeat offenders and history.

However, I don't think the Leafs usually get any breaks so the best option is to not give the league any opportunities to weigh in.

I understand about repeat offender being factored into the equation but the Morrissey crosscheck was just as bad as the Kadri hit. The message it sends is that if you are non-offender make your first offense your worst cause the court will show leniency.

I wonder how many games would Marchand, a repeat offender, get for the same hit Doughty was suspended 1 game for? Using the repeat offender logic, he should get 5 to 10 but I severely doubt it.

It is all b.s. If they were serious Marchand would have been severely punished already and he would think twice about the crap he pulls on the ice.

Reactions: Al14 and Menzinger

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Patty Marleau's former Sharks demonstrate "Defense wins Champions" as they sweep aside Anaheim in 4 games while giving up only 4 goals in the series.

Now SJ and LAV are going head to head to see which defense wins this series.

Playoff goaltending Leaders

Goals Against Average

1) Marc Andre- Fleury ... .65 GAA
2) Martin Jones ................. 1.0 GAA
--------------------------------------------

Save Percentage
1) Marc Andre- Fleury ... .977 Sv%
2) Martin Jones ................. .970 Sv%

with 4 wins each.

Freddy Andersen #'s after 3 games .. 4.54 GAA & .885 Sv% and only 1 win

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Honestly, if we can't make it to the dance, even though i wanted the first legitimate dynasty to be the Leafs, I will happily take a Pens three-peat just so mess can stop with the whole "Defense wins Championships" stuff.

Tampa also could work.

Reactions: carko32

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Patty Marleau's former Sharks demonstrate "Defense wins Champions" as they sweep aside Anaheim in 4 games while giving up only 4 goals in the series.

Both teams beat a superior defensive team. So...

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Goals Against Average

Save Percentage

with 4 wins each.

Not allowing 20 or more wide open, uncontested chances every game, by itself, may not win a championship, but it gives the team a chance. Unless you have really good goal posts stopping the puck.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Both teams beat a superior defensive team. So...

Regular season stats don't mean anything once the playoffs start. All #'s are reset and now it starts over from Zero with no carryover put used only to determine playoff match-ups.

"What have you done for me lately". Is all that matters now as relevant. :)

Las Vegas swept their 1st round series surrendering only 3 goals in 4 games and SJ held the Ducks offense to just 4 goals in 4 games.

Superior defensive teams and efforts won out disposing quickly of opponents, and that is why they're both advancing to round #2 and sitting and resting while the rest of the teams battle on.

Vegas and SJ have 4 wins while our Leafs sit at only 1 win because they struggle defensively with keeping the puck out of their net, and their offense limited by a better defensive performance by the opposition so far. .

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
now hat the Kings and Ducks have both been swept, interesting to note that two of the biggest,most physical teams have now been eliminated from the playoffs.
Further exemplifying the fact that the big, physical style of hockey is becoming a thing of the past.

Remember when San Jose faced off against Pittsburgh in the 2016 cup finals? The big, mean defense-first San Jose Sharks who were going to push the small and weak Penguins around?

Reactions: weems and Menzinger

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Regular season stats don't mean anything once the playoffs start. All #'s are reset and now it starts over from Zero with no carryover put used only to determine playoff match-ups.

"What have you done for me lately". Is all that matters now as relevant. :)

Las Vegas swept their 1st round series surrendering only 3 goals in 4 games and SJ held the Ducks offense to just 4 goals in 4 games.

Superior defensive teams and efforts won out disposing quickly of opponents, and that is why they're both advancing to round #2 and sitting and resting while the rest of the teams battle on.

Vegas and SJ have 4 wins while our Leafs sit at only 1 win because they struggle defensively with keeping the puck out of their net, and their offense limited by a better defensive performance by the opposition so far. .
You've been proven wrong 100000 different times on this whole rhetoric and you still refuse to budge.

There's no point anymore.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Two old school built teams in LA and ANA (Big and slow) get worked by two faster teams who push the pace.

Not really suprised.

Yep, it’s all about puck movement speed and controlling play..

Not to mention the biggest lesson Chia and the Oilers took was to get bigger and grittier, loaded up with those players and regressed.

Reactions: carko32 and weems

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Yep, it’s all about puck movement speed and controlling play..

Not to mention the biggest lesson Chia and the Oilers took was to get bigger and grittier, loaded up with those players and regressed.

The game is about dictating and being in control nowadays where in the past teams actually built the opposite way and wanted to "shutdown" the opponent and the rules allowed for it.
Optimal logic would never suggest you should actively build your team where the notion is your getting outplayed but relying on defense and goaltending.
There's no such thing as a perfect team but in a perfect world you could build a team faster and infinitely more skilled so essentially you always have the puck and your opponent has no say in the outcome and your goalie could just chill.

That obviously will never happen but teams should always be built around a philosophy to be more skilled, faster and in control of the game. One of the reasons Johnsson should play every game going forward vs Komarov as he helps us way more to be in control than chasing the game.

All of Vegas, COL, NJ three teams who massively overachieved vs expectations all have some very similar qualitys. Fast, hardworking, intense.

It takes everyone different amounts of time to adjust to new concepts especially when they've leaned on certain ones for long periods of time.

Heck Cannabis is about to be legalized and the amount of research out there to prove its medicinal value is insane and piling up but theres still people who live in the past and think it's toxic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The game is about dictating and being in control nowadays where in the past teams actually built the opposite way and wanted to "shutdown" the opponent.
Optimal logic would never suggest you should actively build your team where the notion is your getting outplayed but relying on defense and goaltending.
There's no such thing as a perfect team but in a perfect world you could build a team faster and infinitely more skilled so essentially you always have the puck and your opponent has no say in the outcome and your goalie could just chill.

That obviously will never happen but teams should always be built around a philosophy to be more skilled, faster and in control of the game. One of the reasons Johnsson should play every game going forward vs Komarov as he helps us way more to be in control than chasing the game.

All of Vegas, COL, NJ three teams who massively overachieved vs expectations all have some very similar qualitys. Fast, hardworking, intense.

It takes everyone different amounts of time to adjust to new concepts especially when they've leaned on certain ones for long periods of time.

Heck Cannabis is about to be legalized and the amount of research out there to prove its medicinal value is insane and piling up but I theres still people who live in the past and think it's toxic.
I honestly think the biggest thing Vegas used to beat LA was their insane forecheck. LA could never get a clean breakout, always had a Knight in their face.

Reactions: weems

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
So far, of the six series that have played 4 games, not a single one is currently tied 2-2. When was the last time we saw something like this? Slightly anticlimactic

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Further exemplifying the fact that the big, physical style of hockey is becoming a thing of the past.

Remember when San Jose faced off against Pittsburgh in the 2016 cup finals? The big, mean defense-first San Jose Sharks who were going to push the small and weak Penguins around?

Blues and Stars top 10 defensively did not make the playoffs.

For the most part the best defensive teams in the league made the playoffs.

Penguins are the outlier they scored their way into the playoffs.

Based on goal differential Kings and Ducks should have lost.

Flyers, Leafs, Columbus, Devils, Wild and Avs should also lose.

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008

Goals Against Average

Save Percentage

with 4 wins each.

What you mean to say is, "scoring more goals than your opponent wins championships". That is quite the revelation. Or maybe it's "having your goalie make more saves then the other goalie wins championships". Either way, my eyes have been opened!

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
Certainly, throws cold water in the face of winning the lottery, or rebuilding through the draft.

What, none of the players that play for Vegas were drafted by NHL teams? Good drafting isn't about getting a top pick, it's about finding players who are more valuable then where they were picked. Half of that Vegas team qualifies for that.

And the zero stud D? Shea Theodore is 22 years old. How can you make a statement about how much of a "stud" he is. Was Keith a "stud D", cause he sucked at 22 years old. Chara - Brutal at 22 years old. Ryan Suter at 22 years old - "meh". Brent Burns wasn't even a defender at 22 years old. Roman Josi, nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad