Around the League: Second Round Starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
2014 is 4 years ago with really only the Pens standing in-between.

LA has #1G in Quick, #1D in Doughty and #1C in Kopitar = 3 most important building block pieces.

Kopitar #7 in NHL scoring 82 games 35-57- 92 points
Doughty #7 in Dman scoring 82 games 10-50-60 points
Quick #10 in Goalies with 2.40 GAA and .921 sv% with 5 SO.

Seems good evidence against against trading a Marner/Nylander for Doughty....

It’s almost as if there’s more to winning than simply having a 1C/1D/1G.....

Reactions: carko32

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
The Habs farm team fired their coach. Looks like your claim that the Habs have better prospects was wrong after all. They have had a good prospect in how many years?:help:
Sergachev is playing a big role for Tampa. How great was Drouin?

What you talking about StickBoy, I've been a Leaf fan back in the 50's and we were terrible, until Punch took over and took us to the Promised Land on four occasions. I was watching them when the games came on in the second period after Front Page Challenge and the Don Messer show. back in the day of Pierre Burton, Gordie Sinclair, and Betty Kennedy, not to mention Charlie Chamberlin and Marg Osborne. Habs fan my Butt.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
LA couldn’t score a goal to save their lives.

Clearly offense wins championships

Legendary football coach Paul "Bear" Bryant famously said, "Offense sells tickets. Defense wins championships."

Since Bryant's retirement in 1982, his adage has been perpetuated widely in sports media, applied to other sports.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Seems good evidence against against trading a Marner/Nylander for Doughty....

It’s almost as if there’s more to winning than simply having a 1C/1D/1G.....
LA/Chicago's downfall has truly brought light to the fact that bargain contracts are by far the most important asset to cup winning teams. These teams fell like dominoes as soon as they need to pay their superstars big.

Trading Marner/Nylander to pay Doughty ridiculous money is pure stupidity.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Pittsburgh has won 2 straight cups by having a great offense, and infact beat one of the best defensive teams in the 2nd round last year.
OFFENSE WINS CHAMIONSHIPS.
you only have to watch to see thats what that is.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Pittsburgh has won 2 straight cups by having a great offense, and infact beat one of the best defensive teams in the 2nd round last year.
Their biggest trade prior to back-to-back cup wins was trading for 1-dimensional winger Phil Kessel who's notorious for his bad defensive play.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
What you talking about StickBoy, I've been a Leaf fan back in the 50's and we were terrible, until Punch took over and took us to the Promised Land on four occasions. I was watching them when the games came on in the second period after Front Page Challenge and the Don Messer show. back in the day of Pierre Burton, Gordie Sinclair, and Betty Kennedy, not to mention Charlie Chamberlin and Marg Osborne. Habs fan my Butt.

Boy, we sure have gone downhill in some areas. I recently watched some archived FPC, and Meet me at the The Pig and Whistle Show. The internets can be good.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Legendary football coach Paul "Bear" Bryant famously said, "Offense sells tickets. Defense wins championships."

Since Bryant's retirement in 1982, his adage has been perpetuated widely in sports media, applied to other sports.

He was a cheater and to this day they cheat like you wouldn’t believe.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
LA/Chicago's downfall has truly brought light to the fact that bargain contracts are by far the most important asset to cup winning teams. These teams fell like dominoes as soon as they need to pay their superstars big.

Trading Marner/Nylander to pay Doughty ridiculous money is pure stupidity.

Agreed fully.

Not to mention, the Leafs wouldn’t be getting the 22ish year old version of Doughty,

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005

Out standing Goal Tending by Fleury and Murray, look no farther than Vegas.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

Why are we quoting a coach from two decades ago in another sport?

The Penguins were awful defensively, but they had the puck all the time, and they potted it when they needed to. There's more than 1 way to skin a bear.

Reactions: Kurtz

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
There's another adage with respects to the playoffs--the cup is usually won by the team that gets hot at the right time. Fleury's .977 save percentage helps.

Luck plays a bigger role in hockey than most sports. The puck is so small and bouncy. You can make a great bank stretch pass to a breaking forward but if it's on edge, that's the difference between a goal and a save, as Kappy demonstrated last game.

I don't mind it too much. Keeps things interesting that's for sure.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
LA couldn’t score a goal to save their lives.

Clearly offense wins championships

LA couldn't score because they were at the mercy of Vegas strong defense. Many offenses fall victim to this same situation where its out of their own control how the opposition shuts them down and prevents pucks from going in. The stronger the defense the less goals against.

Complaining about lack of offense is the same as praising the opposition defense without realizing it.

A goalie shutout like Fleury had 2 of the 4 games is strong defense.. Nothing an offense can do but complain if the goalie shuts them out.

Stopping 127 of the 130 shots against = .977 (stopping ~98% of the shots he faced).

That is why Defense wins !!!

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
LA couldn't score because they were at the mercy of Vegas strong defense. Many offenses fall victim to this same situation where its out of their own control how the opposition shuts them down and prevents pucks from going in. The stronger the defense the less goals against.

Complaining about lack of offense is the same as praising the opposition defense without realizing it.

A goalie shutout like Fleury had 2 of the 4 games is strong defense.. Nothing an offense can do but complain if the goalie shuts them out.

Stopping 127 of the 130 shots against = .977 (stopping ~98% of the shots he faced).

That is why Defense wins !!!

or you know good goaltending.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Kopitar, Bergeron (surprise, surprise there), and Coutier are the Selke nominees.
they should just mail bergeron the award

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Yep... Not having Dion Phaneuf on your blue line.

i can't find the original quote.
i do believe minimizing offense's impact is not very smart
but i think ignoring the act having a "drew doughty-esque" player wouldn't make this team significantly better.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Last time I check, in order for a team to win, they need to score one more than the other team. Offence wins, lol.

For real, in Hockey, a strong Defense = great goaltending. That's why the Conn Symthe usually goes to the winning team Goalie.

MAF played a huge role in sweeping the Kings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad