Around the League Part 8: Welcome to the league Vegas, and Duchene discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don't have a subscription to the Athletic, but on the main board, there's a thread about an article by Dom Luszczyszyn where he used a formula to give players a numerical value based on a bunch of variables and he puts them into "star player" tiers. It's a metric called game score, which uses goals, primary assists, secondary assists, shots on goal, blocked shots, penalty differential, faceoffs, 5-on-5 corsi differential, 5-on-5 goal differential and then he weights them based on the stat's frequency to goals. Only 3 Canes on the entire list. Aho (tier 4), TT (tier 5), Slavin (Tier 5).

Leafs fans must be really torn on this one. Matthews in Tier 1 and Rielly in Tier 2, but Marner and Nylander in Tier 5. :sarcasm: Guessing goal scoring is weighted more than assists/secondary assist which helps Aho's case I think.

Nashville has 4 defensemen and a goalie in the top 4 tiers.

It's just a metric and not metric is perfect. In the MB thread, it was said that even Dom said he didn't agree with how some of the players got placed by this formula, but it's worth discussing. Overall, I don't think it's too bad, but there are some outliers for sure. I think it's based on this season only.

Screen-Shot-2018-04-04-at-11.34.35-AM.png

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Scoring is heavily rated, no doubt, but in fairness, that's what wins games today in the NHL. ANA (21st in the NHL) is the only team outside the top 16 in scoring (CLB is tied for 16th) that is in the playoffs. Only the Islanders and Florida are in the top 16 in scoring and aren't in the playoffs as of right now. Islanders we know why and Florida still has a chance.

The formula he used is apparently: Player Game Score = (0.75 * G) + (0.7 * A1) + (0.55 * A2) + (0.075 * SOG) + (0.05 * BLK) + (0.15 * PD) – (0.15 * PT) + (0.01 * FOW) – (0.01 * FOL) + (0.05 * CF) – (0.05 * CA) + (0.15 * GF) – (0.15* GA)

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
To gauge the impact of a guy like Slavin I think you would have to use an approach similar to Pro Football Focus. Obviously it is easier to score individual player performance in Football as every play has a start and an end whereas Hockey flows. I'm sure those resources exist to get the raw data when you have an NHL budget. Similar to the "Subjective +/-" thread that was posted here a while back but with a more standardized basis of comparison.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
That much is true, but sadly for him, we were far from his only miss.
Yeah Chicago in 4th is just "wait what" right now. I'd say the same for New Jersey last but then again I'm STILL not a believer in that team at all. As I said in the predictions thread it's like that time Colorado fluked their way to winning the Central, and bookended it by two seasons of being dead last. Aside from Taylor Hall everything about the eye test on that team screams that they're pulling it out of their ass, and I wouldn't be surprised if they crash back down hard next season.

On the other hand, Vegas 4th from last... I don't know where that's coming from. Literally all the underlying numbers I've seen on them aside from this guys formula say they're legit.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Oh I agree. I never believed in Jersey. Even if they make it I suspect they'll get destroyed and I wouldn't be surprised if they took a step back next year. They had a really rough stretch in the middle of the season and I thought they'd crash and burn. But Hall and Kinkaid dragged them kicking and screaming to stay in it. Kudos to them for that.

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
So I'm wondering....since you're a fan of both teams....who's roster do you like more going forward? Who do you think is closer to competing? Do you think Lehner would be a good fit for the Canes?
Canes going forward and closer to competing. The sabres f***ed themselves years ago when they thought they could sell the farm and compete once getting Eichel. That decision pushed them back even further as now they are dead last in the league. The only way I'Il think about taking the sabres roster over the canes if they win the lottery and get Dahlin, but the sabres don't do well in the lottery, so I doubt it...

As for Lehner, I can see the canes going after him. He has put up decent numbers on a shitty sabres team. I'd still rather go after Raanta, but Lehner is a good consolation prize. I think a pick and/or a D prospect can get it done, he will not be a Sabres next year.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
What round pick or what d prospect specifically?

That might not be necessary at all. There has been some speculation that they don't even qualify him this year and he could become an RFA. I'd offer a 3rd for him and see if Buffalo bites for exclusive negotiating rights. Otherwise, wait until July and see if they qualify him at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad