Around the League - Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yup

Former 1st rounder that came out of WHL with a high ceiling on potential .. Just 23 years old now and was a big part of Team Canada success as a junior.

In 2019 he as CHL defensman of the year.

Leafs are carrying a 40 year old Giordano here and could make a waiver claim and start bringing in some younger talent

View attachment 747119

Ty Smith went #17 OA, even in front of the player we liked K'Andre Miller #22 and ahead of Sandin who went #29.

I'd guess that Smith will be among those that teams will seriously consider claiming, especially because he's signed through this season at a very modest $775K, which is the league's minimum salary. Smith could be an interesting addition to any team looking for a bit of a project. The Leafs were known to take a run at these types of players in the past, though they don't exactly have a lot of room on the blueline at the moment.

A New Jersey Devils prospect who was taken 17th overall in the 2018 draft, Smith is a new-school defenseman with great mobility and puck skills. For a Devils franchise in the midst of a rebuild, he's exactly the sort of player that will help New Jersey improve in the coming years.

While I don't necessarily see Smith as being on the same dynamic level as Cale Makar or Quinn Hughes, I still see a very promising player who will delight in getting pucks up to what should evolve into a nice crop of forwards in the coming years. Keep in mind, New Jersey has four first-rounders in the next two drafts, possibly three this year (depending on conditional deals with Arizona and Vancouver. I think they get at least one of those picks this year).

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

The gulf between the Ottawa Senators and restricted free agent Shane Pinto widened this week. According to several sources, the player was disappointed with a recent offer in the one-year, $1M range.

Pinto’s agent, Lewis Gross, and Senators GM Pierre Dorion both declined to comment.

What actual "Cap Hell" looks like.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I don't think Leafs should complain about officiating any more.
Sabres though have a legitimate complaint.

1696113698407.png

The Management

Jun 8, 2009

What actual "Cap Hell" looks like.

They give Brannstrom $2M, Korpisalo $4M. Leave their 20 goal C without a contract and offer him $1M during training camp / preseason, in a year where the playoffs are the goal and you have two injury hobbled Florida teams in the division. Sloppy.

Reactions: CincoHolio

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
They give Brannstrom $2M, Korpisalo $4M. Leave their 20 goal C without a contract and offer him $1M during training camp / preseason, in a year where the playoffs are the goal and you have two injury hobbled Florida teams in the division. Sloppy.
Not to mention the contract to an oft injured and declining Tank. Unfortunately for the kid, he doesn't have much leverage in the situation. Whatever happens, hard to see this guy wanting to re-up in a year when more teams will have cap room to sign him.

Reactions: The Management

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022

The Summer of Pierre lives on.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
It's nuts that Ottawa got themselves into this position with Pinto and now they're bleeding decent assets to accommodate this situation. Don't know why Joseph is still there or why they took Kubalik and still haven't moved on from him. Even if you needed a sweetener to move one of those guys because other teams know you're up against it they could've thrown in one of their recent first round picks that they're now forced to waive in Thomson or Bernard-Docker to get it done if they didn't want them anyway. Oh well, bully for them.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Bedard-Time tonight. Looking forward to seeing him against some nhl players.
With the transition of the top level teams, I think the NHL will be down on entertainment value again this yea, so hopefully he provides some much needed story lines. Number 1 thing I‘m looking forward to watching this season

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
There's been speculation he had a stroke prior to the 22-23 season, as he had a notable decline in his commentating ability last season and was borderline slurring his words at times.
I wondered that. He actually looks better this year than he did last year.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Taking a look around the league, I dont see how we dont have the best roster heading into the regular season.

(Incase my double negative confuses anyone, I'm saying we're the f***ing best)
I'd say Vegas and Jersey have some stacked lineups as well, especially with the studs on their D line, but yeah our lineup up front is probably the best

Coincidence... Spencer Martin is on waivers.... Or, they wait and just claim Jones....

""

If they're waiting on Jones I put out trade offers to send him out west, or at the very least wait until the 11th hour before waiving Jones just to inconvenience Tampa, screw them

Reactions: Fogelhund

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Leafs should take a look at Dman Ty Smith who Pittsburgh put on waivers today.

View attachment 747088

Smith is the biggest name here is Smith. Smith was a 2018 first-round pick of the New Jersey Devils and became a star WHL blueliner for the Spokane Chiefs. He turned pro in 2020-21, scoring 23 points in 48 games. That performance landed him on the NHL’s All-Rookie team, as well as some down-ballot Calder Trophy votes.

The Devils dealt Smith and a third-round pick to the Penguins in exchange for John Marino, who went on to have a stellar 2022-23 season. Smith, on the other hand, played in only nine NHL game for the Penguins. He spent most of last season in the AHL, scoring 24 points in 39 games, and now the AHL is where he’ll be once again assuming he can clear waivers.

Given the promise Smith showed earlier in his career and his pedigree as a former top prospect, it would not be shocking whatsoever to see a team put a claim in on Smith, who is playing on a one-year, league-minimum cap-hit.

Highlights

View attachment 747086
For the Marlies it would be great, for the Leafs he's not a top 8 option

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
He’s going to score 100pts this year.
I'm getting that sense as well. If Marner is a 99 point scorer I could see Bedard being that too. His offensive bag of tricks is ridiculous and his shot is already probably top 5 in all of hockey. I'm fighting the urge to not take him too early in my pool expecting 100 points but I don't know if I can fight the urge, he's that dangerous

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I was checking out some KHL stats for our players... and then looked at the scoring leaders. 29 year old American Riley Barber is leading the KHL in stats, with 18 points in 13 games so far. This is his first year in the KHL. Now I have no idea if he will keep up this pace, but it's interesting to see how many points he's putting up in the KHL. He's been a PPG player in the AHL, but is on pace for 94 points in 68 games in the KHL. Is this a reflection on how much better the AHL is, than the KHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad