Around the League - Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

2023 Spring Convocation - Faculty of Applied Health Sciences (PM)

Brock University

Streamed live 9 hours ago

Kyle-Dubas-1-1600x1121.jpg

Kyle Dubas, President of Hockey Operations for the Pittsburgh Penguins, delivers the Convocation address at his alma mater, Brock University, on Wednesday, June 14.

When Kyle Dubas (BSM ’07) learned he was receiving an honorary doctorate from Brock University, his mind began to whirl about what he would say to the Class of 2023.

That message became clear on May 19, when he was fired as General Manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

During his Convocation address on Wednesday, June 14, the proud Brock Sport Management grad, who has since become President of Hockey Operations with the Pittsburgh Penguins, explained why some of the hardest days of his professional career are what drew the most inspiration.

People often say if you find a job you love, you’ll never work a day in your life. However, Dubas said, no matter how much you love your job, there will always be days that feel like work and there will always be days that are difficult.

“Find something that you really still love when it gets incredibly hard,” he said. “When you fail, when you lose, when people tell you that you aren’t very good, when people doubt you: that’s what you’re probably meant to be doing. If you can find that thing you still love when it becomes hard, that’s for you. Invest in yourself when you get there.”

Dubas learned to invest in himself from his late grandfather, Walter.

Last edited:

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Bettman surely seems happy eh

Not surprised. I don't think anyone will be.

It's too bad because you want good TV ratings obviously.

It'll always be watched more when a Canadian, or original 6 team makes it.

It'll be interesting to see how big the crowd is on Saturday night for the Vegas cup party. I'm guessing it'll be good either way on the strip. I hope this will create a lot of fans down there I just wonder how long some of these "fans" will stick around if their team doesn't win a cup for another 10 or even up to 50 plus years lol.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Dark Knight, you're right about Dubas hiring an assistant GM before hiring a GM. Pittsburgh's GM is going to be the biggest puppet GM in recent memory. The Pittsburgh GM doesn't even get to hire his own assistants. We see in full illustration that Dubas' claim about an NHL GM needing autonomy to do his best was never about NHL GM's in general but only about himself.

This Pittsburgh GM role seems set up for some showy hiring of an inexperienced figure head, maybe also a recently retired player.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Dark Knight, you're right about Dubas hiring an assistant GM before hiring a GM. Pittsburgh's GM is going to be the biggest puppet GM in recent memory. The Pittsburgh GM doesn't even get to hire his own assistants. We see in full illustration that Dubas' claim about an NHL GM needing autonomy to do his best was never about NHL GM's in general but only about himself.

This Pittsburgh GM role seems set up for some showy hiring of an inexperienced figure head, maybe also a recently retired player.
Pretty much spot on, Dubas’ hypocrisy knows no bounds, he’ll make Shanahan’s meddling in the GM’s duties look invisible imo………

Reactions: HolyCrap

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Yeah it's definitely going woke and not the fact that the 2 teams in the finals probably have some of the smallest fanbases in the entire league :facepalm:

LMAO right! This has nothing to do with wokeness. Has everything to do with the markets of the two teams.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Brock University alumni Kyle Dubas was awarded an honourary doctorate on Wednesday just over 15 years since he graduated.

Dubas spent 9 years with the Toronto Maple Leafs, eventually becoming General Manager. The Leafs were eliminated from the playoffs last month in a heartbreaking overtime loss to the Flordia Panthers. Remarks Dubas made at the press conference after the team’s loss raised eyebrows, as some questioned his commitment to the team. He and the Leafs parted ways just a few weeks later. He is now the President of Operations for the Pittsburgh Penguins.

“…I’ll miss the people, the passion of the fans, and the fan base, and I thought we built a great organization there and we fell short of what we wanted to accomplish and so they made the decision to move on and our family has moved on as well, but I will always look back fondly on the opportunity that I was given,” Dubas said.

His career started after he graduated from Brock back in 2007 with a degree in Sports Management. He says he is humbled and honored to receive this doctorate, and that this university has made a huge impact on his life both professionally and personally.

“…Basically every key relationship and opportunity I’ve had in my life has come from Brock so Brock changed my life, to be able to come here today and receive this honorary degree is extraordinarily meaningful,” Dubas said.

Reactions: Lauro

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Bratt getting sub 8 million and signing away 7 UFA years just further exemplifies how terrible out contracts were.

Marner got 11m, mostly RFA years, for SIX years. Bratt is not very far off from Marner.

I am not a Dubas hater but man he really fumbled that era. Good riddance.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Bratt getting sub 8 million and signing away 7 UFA years just further exemplifies how terrible out contracts were.

Marner got 11m, mostly RFA years, for SIX years. Bratt is not very far off from Marner.

He is very far off from Marner. He is not very far off from Nylander, but even Nylander has a much longer (and also better) track record of success and Nylander is not worth the same as Marner.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
LMAO right! This has nothing to do with wokeness. Has everything to do with the markets of the two teams.

And it's less the markets than the marketing. Not one player on either team is a household name to American sports viewers. Worse yet, how many players are household names to casual U.S. hockey fans?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Bratt seems more to be a product of the environment like Bunting and Kerfoot than him being good though. Either way, it is a good ref for Willie, since it sets the base for his contract. If Bratt is signs for close to 9mil, Willie or anyone like him will ask for 10mil.

And it's less the markets than the marketing. Not one player on either team is a household name to American sports viewers. Worse yet, how many players are household names to casual U.S. hockey fans?
Tkachuk

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
He is very far off from Marner. He is not very far off from Nylander, but even Nylander has a much longer (and also better) track record of success and Nylander is not worth the same as Marner.

Marner is better, but Marner also got more money, 25% less term for the team, and gave up mainly RFA years.

It's pretty insane the gap in contract values here. NJ just locking up their core to much better long term contracts, and it's pretty obvious they have or will leap frog soon.

This is why I want the core broken up. This whole "core comes first" bullshit has gotta end.

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
Nice to see other young players around the league sign on for 8 years. While our guys look for 5-6 year deals trying to get every dollar possible.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Nice to see other young players around the league sign on for 8 years. While our guys look for 5-6 year deals trying to get every dollar possible.
That was the former GM's idea.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
I REALLY like Bratt but he has two 70 point seasons and 1 30 goal season. He’s probably still a hair below Willy let alone Mitch being anywhere near Mitch.

This is a contract that seems great for everyone, neither a steal nor an overpay. Just a good player making good money on a good team.

Reactions: aingefan

horner

May 22, 2007
New Jersey Devils are killing it.
Jesper Bratt 7.85 mil * 8 yrs

Let's start over trade all put me first money players sndvbuild this the right way.

Iam really getting sick and tired of out core players

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

Isnt that Bratt's 4th NHL contract and kicks in 6 years after hes been in the league? With a career high 20 pts below Marner at the time of signing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad