Around the League - Is it Playoffs Yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Pens are back into the contender category... 5 game winning streak, on a tear, and just jumped to 1st in the Metro .. In fairness the Caps have 3 games in hand are only 1 point behind.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Also for how much talk of Boston's surge and how good Tampa is, Vegas keeps rolling and now sits 1st overall in the league.

They could actually win the President's Trophy in their first season.... Incredible.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Also for how much talk of Boston's surge and how good Tampa is, Vegas keeps rolling and now sits 1st overall in the league.

They could actually win the President's Trophy in their first season.... Incredible.

Only in an NHL run by Gary Bettman. I am surprised he has not been able to get Zona into the playoffs.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

It’d be hilarious to see Vegas win the President’s Trophy and the Stanley Cup as an expansion team, especially with the fact that President Trophy winning teams rarely win the cup.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
It’d be hilarious to see Vegas win the President’s Trophy and the Stanley Cup as an expansion team, especially with the fact that President Trophy winning teams rarely win the cup.

They only have 4 regulation losses at home all season. They will be a tough out because they look like they'll get home ice for most of the playoffs.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Pens are back into the contender category... 5 game winning streak, on a tear, and just jumped to 1st in the Metro .. In fairness the Caps have 3 games in hand are only 1 point behind.

When Malkin is hot, he's the best player in the league. Real fun to watch.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
They only have 4 regulation losses at home all season. They will be a tough out because they look like they'll get home ice for most of the playoffs.

It’s pretty awesome when you consider how many people were bashing McPhee after the expansion draft, and were thinking Vegas would be a joke with no fans.

I’d also say it should open peoples eyes to how close this team can be. Everyone loves picks and prospects, but if we can use some of our wealth (we do have a solid prospect pool despite all the graduations we’ve had, and 16 picks over the next two drafts) to help the team, not just this year, but someone with control that can be a piece on the team for the next 5-6 years at least

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Boston's games in hand boggles my mind. I went and looked at our March and it looks pretty full, so I couldn't fathom how Boston would catch up. I checked their March. So from March 6 to April 8th they play every other day. Only one B2B, but no more than one day off between games. That is bonkers and hopefully not only gives us a chance to pass them, but maybe has them tired for a possible 1st round matchup. We have the same situation from March 14-31, but only two weeks vs. four could be huge.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Only in an NHL run by Gary Bettman. I am surprised he has not been able to get Zona into the playoffs.
I already have this feeling he'll want Matthews on the Coyotes! :(

Only if it means we get McDavid! ;)

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
Watching Sabres vs Caps, Ristolainen is a stud. I don't get how some think his overrated, he plays PP, great low shot, can move the puck quickly, and simply abuses opposing forwards. Exactly the type of D we need.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I already have this feeling he'll want Matthews on the Coyotes! :(

Only if it means we get McDavid! ;)

Bettman did have the chance to come out behind the curtains and give the lottery ball to Arizona like he did with Pittsburg...but he figured an American kid could sell the game to the rest of the USA playing in the hockey mecca of the world that is Toronto. :naughty: I mean, look, 2 years after Toronto got Matthews, there's an expansion team in Vegas, and another coming to Seattle. :laugh:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Boston just picked up 2 points :(

In the end it doesn't matter because both those teams are really good but to be honest I'd prefer to play Tampa instead of Boston in the playoffs.

Boston got away with a shit ton in our playoff series when we lost in 7. There would be far less interference, far less garbage between the whistles and just entertaining hockey all out in a series between Tampa and Toronto. Skill vs skill. Goalie vs Goalie. No crap, no super rats like Marchand.

Plus, I really enjoyed our playoff series against Washington and think this one will be even better than that one...and the possibility of sending Stamkos home early back to Toronto is also very enticing.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The thing is, it's not run by Gary. It's run by the 31 owners so why would the other 30 owners help out 1 team to get in the playoffs?

500+M reasons. IMO it is also in the best interest of the league that LV does well. With the NFL moving in, they can't afford to have a cellar dweller in LV like the Yotes.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
In the end it doesn't matter because both those teams are really good but to be honest I'd prefer to play Tampa instead of Boston in the playoffs.

Boston got away with a **** ton in our playoff series when we lost in 7. There would be far less interference, far less garbage between the whistles and just entertaining hockey all out in a series between Tampa and Toronto. Skill vs skill. Goalie vs Goalie. No crap, no super rats like Marchand.

Plus, I really enjoyed our playoff series against Washington and think this one will be even better than that one...and the possibility of sending Stamkos home early back to Toronto is also very enticing.

that would be awesome.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Starting to see some separation between the first and second Wild Card spots in the East .. New Jersey has a 6 point cushion over the Canes/Isles.

Also the Panthers are now 6 points back of that last WC spot with 3-5 games in hand over those teams.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Starting to see some separation between the first and second Wild Card spots in the East .. New Jersey has a 6 point cushion over the Canes/Isles.

Also the Panthers are now 6 points back of that last WC spot with 3-5 games in hand over those teams.
Was looking at that yesterday and was surprised to see how close the Panthers are.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!

Boston got away with a **** ton in our playoff series when we lost in 7. There would be far less interference, far less garbage between the whistles and just entertaining hockey all out in a series between Tampa and Toronto. Skill vs skill. Goalie vs Goalie. No crap, no super rats like Marchand.

lol I just want home ice I dont really care who we play either way just want to try to get home ice is all.

FabledKnight

Feb 20, 2008
Am I wrong. VGK own picks in 18 n 19 drafts are @ 3rd overall chances correct? Is that still the case with Vegas making the playoffs? Cause shoot 1st in the league and maybe Dahlin too?

blue leaves

Oct 31, 2013
vancouver.bc.ca
Am I wrong. VGK own picks in 18 n 19 drafts are @ 3rd overall chances correct? Is that still the case with Vegas making the playoffs? Cause shoot 1st in the league and maybe Dahlin too?

That was only for the 2017 entry draft. They have their own 1st and 2nd in the next two drafts and have two additional 2nds in 2019 (WPG and NSH)
2017 NHL Draft Lottery

The Golden Knights were awarded the sixth pick in the 2017 NHL Draft following the draft lottery, which took place on April 29. Vegas was given the same odds as the team finishing with the third-fewest points during the regular season.

Vegas will select third in each subsequent round of the draft (subject to trades and other potential player transactions).

Rules for 2017 Expansion Draft

FabledKnight

Feb 20, 2008
That was only for the 2017 entry draft. They have their own 1st and 2nd in the next two drafts and have two additional 2nds in 2019 (WPG and NSH)
2017 NHL Draft Lottery

The Golden Knights were awarded the sixth pick in the 2017 NHL Draft following the draft lottery, which took place on April 29. Vegas was given the same odds as the team finishing with the third-fewest points during the regular season.

Vegas will select third in each subsequent round of the draft (subject to trades and other potential player transactions).

Rules for 2017 Expansion Draft

Oh kay. I really misunderstood. So that's reassuring. Thank you

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Especially with the flack he received for taking too many defensemen ...

Some rethinking by GM's might be in order as far as what to assess in choosing a coach and cast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad