Who woulda thunk it?
Leafs
Jets
By far exceeded regular season expectations
My 2 teams to cheer for post season!

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
so is their injured list. Might lose Backes to a suspension too. They have a decent lead on us, but I definitely wouldn't rule out us getting 2nd. Would be pretty cool

The chances of catching them are very remote.

If Boston goes .500, they will get to 109 points. Toronto will need to get 18 out of a possible 22 points to tie them (.818).

If they get just 10 points out their remaining 26 available points (.385, which is a lower pace than last overall Buffalo has played this season), the Leafs would need to 15 out of 22 points to tie them.

So basically, for the Leafs to have a realistic chance at catching the Bruins, the Bruins would have to perform at the pace of a last place team for the remainder of the season.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I could be wrong but wasn't this also said this time last year?
Okay so I just looked it up, he wanted to play in the Olympics this year and there was the whole NHL not going thing so he signed a one year contract in the KHL. New Jersey has his rights till he's 35 this April so I guess waiting one more year lets him choose more or less where he wants to go.

Think there will be quite a few contenders trying to get him to a decent deal. Whatever deal he gets I'm sure he'll try to get a retirement deal of some sort. I know it's the KHL but he's 35 and still puts up quite the point total. Not sure if it's just better to keep JVR if getting a talented winger for depth was a part of the future plan.

Reactions: Fluke Schenn

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Boston: 69GP 96 pts; games remaining: 13

Toronto: 71 GP 91 pts; games remaining : 11

5 points difference with boston having 2 games in hand.

If Boston goes 7W and 6L (about .5 hockey) that's about 110 points

Leafs are gonna have to go 10W 1L to get to 111 points; pretty tall ask. Unless Boston completely blows and Tukka forgets how to play goal; Leafs getting home ice is a pipe dream; however, leafs kicking boston's ass in the playoffs is a 50% chance

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Boston: 69GP 96 pts; games remaining: 13

Toronto: 71 GP 91 pts; games remaining : 11

5 points difference with boston having 2 games in hand.

If Boston goes 7W and 6L (about .5 hockey) that's about 110 points

Leafs are gonna have to go 10W 1L to get to 111 points; pretty tall ask. Unless Boston completely blows and Tukka forgets how to play goal; Leafs getting home ice is a pipe dream; however, leafs kicking boston's ass in the playoffs is a 50% chance

Yeah Leafs are pretty much stuck in third. Bolts Bruins and Leafs are all the same in that if they do lose a couple games in a row, they go and win 4 or more in a row right after. No chance Boston goes .500 or below to close the season.

The past 10 record is always like 7-2-1 or 8-1-1 or 6-2-2 or even stuff like 5-1-4 (go .500 yet have a 70% points percentage) regardless of when these teams lose.

Even when the Leafs lost 4 in a row their past 10 was still something like 6-3-1.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Barzal's made two really bad plays that have led to odd man rushes the other way so far. He puts up good numbers, but I think he really is a product of a firewagon hockey system

Reactions: stickty111

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Barzal's made two really bad plays that have led to odd man rushes the other way so far. He puts up good numbers, but I think he really is a product of a firewagon hockey system

He also has the NYI goal and went coast to coast 1 on 4 that Holtby saved.

Impressive 71 points in 71 games for Barzal in his rookie season good for #16 in NHL scoring.

Looks like a star in the making.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He also has the NYI goal and went coast to coast 1 on 4 that Holtby saved.

71 points in 71 games for Barzal in his rookie season.

Looks like a star in the making.
if Marner was allowed to do literally anything he wanted, mistakes and all, he'd have similar or better numbers. Of course Barzal is still a star, but there's a reason the Islanders are still a losing team and the Leafs aren't

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
i'm kinda worried about facing the Islanders. They're a dirty team with nothing to lose, and they're really gooning it up against Washington. already hurt Kuznetsov

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

So Kovy wants back in the NHL, who do you think he goes to?

I could be wrong but wasn't this also said this time last year?

last year

A: Devils had his rights
B: NHL may have gone to the Olympics.

no one was buying his rights
no NHL participation, he'd stay in russia

In terms of where he goes it's tough to say - he wants to win a cup. He apparently wanted to go to NYR but they aren't winning a cup. Maybe if Pittsburgh gets creative with some moves? He can play with Malkin He would have to eat some humble pie and accept some pretty reasonable money.

NJD did own his rights in the off-season and were looking for a 2nd rounder for him but no one bit on the price. Kovalchuk was fine with it, got to focus on the Olympics, paid off for him.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Yup Barzal is the definition of a run and gun 0 defence player. No wonder the Islanders are callapsing by playing this system and players like Barzal who fit this style.
Looks like a one way no defence player in the making.
Looks like the 3rd best player in the draft were premature.
Marner is the one who might actually be the 3rd best player coming from the draft.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Yup basically what I have said about Barzal. He is a high risk player who hurts his team just as much as he helps them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad