Around the League - Is it Playoffs Yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Dallas road trip is a disaster so far. However, Calgary is not taking advantage and is 4 points behind and keeps on losing when they can hardly afford to lose any games at this point.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
He also has the NYI goal and went coast to coast 1 on 4 that Holtby saved.

Impressive 71 points in 71 games for Barzal in his rookie season good for #16 in NHL scoring.

Looks like a star in the making.

If mitch was allowed to do everything Barzal is allowed to do on the Leafs you'd be the first one to talk about his lack of defense, and how he costs the team as much as he scores.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
If mitch was allowed to do everything Barzal is allowed to do on the Leafs you'd be the first one to talk about his lack of defense, and how he costs the team as much as he scores.
Yup. That Isles team is a joke defensively.
Barzal never has this production on a Babcock coached team.

Reactions: stickty111

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Yup. That Isles team is a joke defensively.
Barzal never has this production on a Babcock coached team.

Well we don't know that. I'm not even slagging on Barzal.
i'm just saying Mess would have an absolute fit if Mitch was just told "go out there and score." and gave zero crap about defensive play

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I think if someone says in their UFA year "Im not having fun." the chances of them staying in the "not fun place" is really low.
And there is at least 2 guys on there having seasons they likely never will again. (Not Barzal of course). There's not much there to work with. He's 27. He wants to win now.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
it's a good thing actually. it goes to show that even offensively talented teams can't get away with ignoring defense. hope our boys get the message

exactly, and this is something that Babcock has been preaching from the start. you can get a lot of your offense, from playing sound defensively.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

You might be surprised to know that Marner is the worst +/- player at -6 on the Leafs team on a team that is middle of the pack (204 goals against) in team goals against, while Barzal is Even and among the best on the Islanders on a team that is near the bottom on the league in goals against (258 goals against).

In terms of actual goals against and for individually this year while Marner vs Barzal have been on the ice (for and against).

Marner .. Team Goals For = 77, Team Goals Against = 54 & [PP GF = 31, PP GA = 2] .... -6 +/-
(link : NHL.com - Stats )

vs

Barzal ... Team Goals For = 96 , Teams Goals Against = 60 & [PP GF = 37 , PPGA = 1] .... Even +/-
(Link : NHL.com - Stats)

Totals = Marner has been on the ice for 54 goals against this year vs Barzal for 60 goals against, while NYI have surrendered +54 more goals than the Leafs overall.

A total of 6 goals against difference on the season after 71 games in Marner's favour.

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The fact Barzal only is PPG when he does his all offense no care for defence routine isnt all that impressive. Marner is probably at 90 points and the Isles would allow less goals if Marner replaced Barzal on the Islanders.
It doesnt matter though, we got the better player in Marner then Barzal so if anything the Isles might be complaining that they got a player who doesnt have any desire to play defence unless its to be a turnonver machine in his zone which is what Barzal is an expert at.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The fact Barzal only is PPG when he does his all offense no care for defence routine isnt all that impressive. Marner is probably at 90 points and the Isles would allow less goals if Marner replaced Barzal on the Islanders.
It doesnt matter though, we got the better player in Marner then Barzal so if anything the Isles might be complaining that they got a player who doesnt have any desire to play defence unless its to be a turnonver machine in his zone which is what Barzal is an expert at.

Better stay away from Tavares if we're worried about giveaways. NHL.com - Stats

Giveaway to takeaway difference much worse for Tavares.

I'd think the Islanders are quite happy after picking Barzal at 16th. Leafs are happy to get Marner at 4th. Islanders never had the opportunity to pick anyone prior to their pick.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
You might be surprised to know that Marner is the worst +/- player at -6 on the Leafs team on a team that is middle of the pack (204 goals against) in team goals against, while Barzal is Even and among the best on the Islanders on a team that is near the bottom on the league in goals against (258 goals against).

In terms of actual goals against and for individually this year while Marner vs Barzal have been on the ice (for and against).

Marner .. Team Goals For = 77, Team Goals Against = 54 & [PP GF = 31, PP GA = 2] .... -6 +/-
(link : NHL.com - Stats )

vs

Barzal ... Team Goals For = 96 , Teams Goals Against = 60 & [PP GF = 37 , PPGA = 1] .... Even +/-
(Link : NHL.com - Stats)

Totals = Marner has been on the ice for 54 goals against this year vs Barzal for 60 goals against, while NYI have surrendered +54 more goals than the Leafs overall.

A total of 6 goals against difference on the season after 71 games in Marner's favour.

since i have to expand on something you already know.

I wouldn't say that being minus six equals Marner being poor defensively. Honestly, I wouldn't consider anyone's plus/minus unless it was woefully disgusting, or outstandingly high. (thus, I wouldn't say that Barzal's being even is anything special either).

Barzal is allowed to do whatever he wants. I have seen zero evidence that Weight is teaching Barzal how to play in both ends of the ice. If he was a Leaf and Babcock basically went "okay just score goals." - even if he were even, you would harp on the fact he's cheating defensively to put up points. You know it, you've done it to several Leafs players (that you didn't like admittedly).

Marner, since he's been a Leaf has said he wants to be a 200 foot player, he wants to be seen as someone who can play defensively as well as offensively, he doesn't want to cheat, wants to play on the PK, because he feels he can make a difference, not just on a threat offensively but just keeping the puck out . Babcock has preached since he's been here that the way he wants us to be such a threat offensively is being a strong team defensively.

If Mitch gave that up, and just put up points are you honestly saying you'd be fine with that? (answer no, because you rag on mitch for everything anyway). are you honestly saying, you didn't get what i meant when you posted all of those stats? I don't really care that you don't like mitch, that's your prerogative, but i think it's hilarious that you applaud Barzal for everything he's doing - won't give Mitch credit for what he does, and then look down at Mitch because he's working on making his game more well rounded, even though apparently a minus six. Okay, there.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yeah, JT is gone.

The Islanders shouldnt have let him hold them hostage.

I'm sure he is comfortable with the Islanders, but it's around another 3 years before they have a new arena, and that has to have some impact on his decision.

I don't see the Leafs competing with some of the offers he's going to receive.

Sharks could give JT JT's 8 million and throw in another 3 without a sweat.

Columbus needs scoring and they have a cap space.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I like watching Barzal but if he is a Leafs, most of us will be saying lets trade him while his value is high bc we don't need another Phil or JVR on the team....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->