Around The League II

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
Oh and just for good measure, I wouldn't trade any of Hall, Ebs or Nugey for Johnny.

stardefender*

The flames are also 25W 16L in games when being outshot. Somebody explain that. Its VERY uncharacteristic for a team of plumbers to manage that type of feat. Usually its the handiwork of teams that can throw world class players out on the ice and still outscore teams when they are outworked. The Flames are somehow defying this conventional wisdom.

Finally, the Flames are 5th in the league in scoring. Take a long hard look at their lineup, particularly their forward lineup, and explain to me how this team has scored more goals than 25 teams. This is one of the most ordinary forward lineups in the league

and then:

Monahan for draft position has to be considered a pretty huge pleasant surprise. Goal scoring is king imo and I have a lot of respect for the player. But to be putting up 30something goal season in the NHL in todays dead puck era is quite astounding.

With all due respect nobody but a Flames fan would think Gaudreau would have this type of year. Typically such a player wouldn't knock it out of the park in his first year. The kind of stats he's putting up suggest dominant star player. Suggests #1 draft....

Gotta admit I like watching the kid. How could one not? Flames fans got a right to be overjoyed with his play. That he's bringing it on both ends as well is simply amazing.

In the majority of your incessant downplaying of the Flames, they're a lucky group of "plumbers" with no business scoring as much as they do.

Speaking from one side of your mouth, you seem completely unaware / ignorant of the fact they have an *elite* top line this year. Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler is up there with any other line in the league over the season, and the fact they were grouped into your "plumbers" / "most ordinary forwards" is laughable.

I get that it's easier for you to believe they'll all regress next year, but the fact of the matter is, Monahan and Guadreau are excellent young players who are only going to get better with more NHL experience. Sure, they might see their production slip for a period, but no one in their right mind would suggest they aren't going to get better as they mature.

Then, there's the matter of the Flames yet to add one of the best 18 year olds on the planet to their lineup.

Your anger is just way, way over the top in what it's driven you to force yourself into believing and ranting about.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
Had to know that the flames fans would eventually show up here. Since both Colorado and Toronto fans showed up here as well, although more so Colorado.

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
To add to that, if LA can't bet the teams they play in their final 6, well they don't deserve to be in three.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Buffoon from the jets should get at least 10 games for that cross check to JT Miller and his previous offences and offseason behaviour. But I bet he gets 1 game if he gets anything

Gio4PM

Nov 4, 2014
Don't appreciate you labeling silly to any posts that don't agree with your own. Particularly because I have no difficulty defending the positions I've stated and will continue to do so. I'll remind you what board you're posting on if you want to be dismissive about it.

Theres nothing silly about the players listed and its in response to you wanting clarification. You also didn't note my wording "Every one of these players have had the best NHL year yet and/or more than could reasonably be expected " thus outlining what I meant and which applies then to the list of players.
QUOTE]

Sorry - it's absolutely silly to call a rookie's season a "career year". Did Leon Draisaitl have a career year this year? Darnell Nurse? You have simply used an incorrect definition of career year, with the result that your conclusion is flawed. GIGO.

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
That Buff cross check is one of the most viciously dangerous plays I've seen. Not only could be have ended Millers career, he could have ruined his life. Miller was defenceless, vulnerable and so removed from the play that no one can justify that was a "hockey play."

I don't see how anyone can defend or justify that.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Just with regards to your statement that "With all due respect nobody but a Flames fan would think Gaudreau would have this type of year."

This was a Boston fan who follows Boston college hockey prior to the season:

A Philadelphia fan who had watched Gaudreau long before he was drafted :

So I reiterate that it was the people who had watched him play that were suggesting he would have the season he is having. Let's say Flames fans hoped he would get 60 points and his College fans thought he would.

A couple fans saying something really doesn't tell us much. As to the statement "only a Calgary fan would say" its obvious a tongue in cheek generalization that I hadn't intended anybody to take entirely literally. A playful comment. You don't need to disprove it.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
and then:

In the majority of your incessant downplaying of the Flames, they're a lucky group of "plumbers" with no business scoring as much as they do.

Speaking from one side of your mouth, you seem completely unaware / ignorant of the fact they have an *elite* top line this year. Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler is up there with any other line in the league over the season, and the fact they were grouped into your "plumbers" / "most ordinary forwards" is laughable.

I get that it's easier for you to believe they'll all regress next year, but the fact of the matter is, Monahan and Guadreau are excellent young players who are only going to get better with more NHL experience. Sure, they might see their production slip for a period, but no one in their right mind would suggest they aren't going to get better as they mature.

Then, there's the matter of the Flames yet to add one of the best 18 year olds on the planet to their lineup.

Your anger is just way, way over the top in what it's driven you to force yourself into believing and ranting about.

Not sure whats hard to reconcile in the statements. I had repeatedly made the claim that young players, Monahan, Gaudreau had exceeded what could reasonably be expected. They have had outstanding years but I guess we'll see what they do in time.

As for getting better as they mature statistically speaking I wouldn't be convinced of that. Like I stated they have warranted increased coverage and opponents will scout tendencies, make corrections, cover them better. Really for them to appreciably improve on where they are at would be quite a challenge. Take a look at Jordan Eberle for instance. Top totals in his sophomore season of 35 goals and near PPG. This is still his best year of his career and he's 25 now. It could very well turn out to be the highest production of his career. Could be similar NHL correction due to coverage for guys like Monahan and Gaudreau.

As for the Flames having an elite line if you stated that on ANY NHL board but Calgary I wonder what the response to that statement would be. Calgarys top forwards are a Journeyman with a prior .560/GP career pts production. Suddenly, inexplicably, this 31 yr old player has vaulted to being a PPG player. That's textbook exceeding expectations, career year, yada yada. Then we have a rookie, and a sophomore.

Few people would seriously state that coming into the season that this was going to yield an "elite" line. As to the rest the Flames don't have a deep or particularly talented supporting cast of forwards. They've certainly scored more goals, and bit 3rd period goals than could reasonably be expected or forecast.

Sorry - it's absolutely silly to call a rookie's season a "career year". Did Leon Draisaitl have a career year this year? Darnell Nurse? You have simply used an incorrect definition of career year, with the result that your conclusion is flawed. GIGO.

Now this is getting silly. This is the statement by me that you responded to;

"EVERY one of these players have had the best NHL year yet and/or more than could reasonably be expected in cases of rooks like Gaudreau."

Do you see the and/or clause? Do you follow how that effects the connotation of the sentence. Do I have to spell it out? Gaudreau and Monahan would be examples of "more than could reasonably be expected which I even stated in the sentence.

hooboy

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
That Buff cross check is one of the most viciously dangerous plays I've seen. Not only could be have ended Millers career, he could have ruined his life. Miller was defenceless, vulnerable and so removed from the play that no one can justify that was a "hockey play."

I don't see how anyone can defend or justify that.

Glad somebody is speaking out about this. Really this kind of play should merit a suspension for rest of season and playoffs. What on Earth was Buff thinking? Despicable play.

I have no idea how that wasn't a major penalty on ice and how it wasn't an immediate game misconduct. Oh well, just deserts occurred later as Buff was beaten wide on the winning goal.

Throw the book at him.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
A couple fans saying something really doesn't tell us much. As to the statement "only a Calgary fan would say" its obvious a tongue in cheek generalization that I hadn't intended anybody to take entirely literally. A playful comment. You don't need to disprove it.

It wasn't a couple fans though, it was a very large majority of the posters who had watched him who expected him to be something special. They were just overshadowed by a larger group of posters who hadn't watched him but saw his size.

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
Glad somebody is speaking out about this. Really this kind of play should merit a suspension for rest of season and playoffs. What on Earth was Buff thinking? Despicable play.

I have no idea how that wasn't a major penalty on ice and how it wasn't an immediate game misconduct. Oh well, just deserts occurred later as Buff was beaten wide on the winning goal.

Throw the book at him.

I was listening on the radio and the focus was on the ramifications on WPG's playoff push. I am stunned how little emphasis there is on the actual crosscheck. It was disgusting. That kind of action should result in a season and playoff suspension. There is absolutely no excuse for it. I don't want to exaggerate, but you can't deny that a crosscheck like that could potentially kill someone.

stardefender*

As for the Flames having an elite line if you stated that on ANY NHL board but Calgary I wonder what the response to that statement would be.

That line has been consistantly together since January, and has put up:

Monahan: 18G, 15A, 33P
Gaudreau.: 9G, 20A, 29P
Hudler....: 16G, 17A, 33P (34 games)

Total......: 42G, 53A, 95P

This month in particular, it's the best line in the league and it's not close:

http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/03/31/ca...hnny-hockey-gaudreau-sean-monahan-jiri-hudler

"Since the beginning of March, the combination of Gaudreau, Monahan and Hudler has torched opposing goalies for 25 goals and 55 points. No other line comes close."

So putting the question about that line being an elite one to the rest of the league should be elementary, considering they don't have your rage-induced spite-denial.

It's really quite simple: You act bewildered and say there is no plausible reason for the Flames success when indeed their is. They are driven by an elite top line (as most good teams are) that consists of 2/3rds emerging young talent.

You can sit here all day and tell me Monahan and Gaudreau won't improve from here (as is your agenda and something you need to tell yourself to quell the rage) but that's a question that could also be posed to the rest of league and I'm sure you'd find a minority agreeing with you that this will be their peak season.

All one needs to do is simply watch them, and it's immediately obvious they are young star players in the making. They will get better, because they're great players that are going to fill out and mature physically and take away the experience from playing at this level.

You need to take a chill pill and come to grips with the fact that whether the Flames regress as a team in points next season, they have a great group of young talent that is only going to get better.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
That line has been consistantly together since January, and has put up:

Monahan: 18G, 15A, 33P
Gaudreau.: 9G, 20A, 29P
Hudler....: 16G, 17A, 33P (34 games)

Total......: 42G, 53A, 95P

This month in particular, it's the best line in the league and it's not close:

http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/03/31/ca...hnny-hockey-gaudreau-sean-monahan-jiri-hudler

"Since the beginning of March, the combination of Gaudreau, Monahan and Hudler has torched opposing goalies for 25 goals and 55 points. No other line comes close."

So putting the question about that line being an elite one to the rest of the league should be elementary, considering they don't have your rage-induced spite-denial.

It's really quite simple: You act bewildered and say there is no plausible reason for the Flames success when indeed their is. They are driven by an elite top line (as most good teams are) that consists of 2/3rds emerging young talent.

You can sit here all day and tell me Monahan and Gaudreau won't improve from here (as is your agenda and something you need to tell yourself to quell the rage) but that's a question that could also be posed to the rest of league and I'm sure you'd find a minority agreeing with you that this will be their peak season.

All one needs to do is simply watch them, and it's immediately obvious they are young star players in the making. They will get better, because they're great players that are going to fill out and mature physically and take away the experience from playing at this level.

You need to take a chill pill and come to grips with the fact that whether the Flames regress as a team in points next season, they have a great group of young talent that is only going to get better.

And if you said you expected it at the beginning of the season, you would have been called a homer, and rightly so.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
And if you said you expected it at the beginning of the season, you would have been called a homer, and rightly so.

Thanks, exactly what I was stating. Comprehension appears to be an issue. I'm not sure how many times I would need to state the basic point before it was ascertained.

Gio4PM

Nov 4, 2014

I'm not sure what relevance expectations last September have to do with whether there's a significant regression next year. Surely the actual production is more relevant.

Sure there might be a few points less for some players. Namely Bouma, Jooris and Wideman. Frankly, I don't see it for Brodie, Russell, Giordano, Monahan or Gaudreau. I actually think the first two guys will produce more and the others will maintain. Monahan avoided a sophomore jinx, Gaudreau avoided the second-half decline many rpedicted and Giordano didn't really play much better than last year anyway.

And I expect more production from Raymond, who's had a semi-off year, Bollig, who can do more, Poirier and Ferland, who have demonstrated they can play in the NHL, but there hasn't been room. Shore, Byron (if they re-sign him) and Colborne has more points in them. I figure Jones, Granlund and Stajan are all where they are comfortably contribute right now. And Sam Bennett, who is it up in the OHL after coming back from surgery will likely contribute.

This was by no means a peak year for the vast majority of players.

Gio4PM

Nov 4, 2014
Now this is getting silly. This is the statement by me that you responded to;

"EVERY one of these players have had the best NHL year yet and/or more than could reasonably be expected in cases of rooks like Gaudreau."

Do you see the and/or clause? Do you follow how that effects the connotation of the sentence. Do I have to spell it out? Gaudreau and Monahan would be examples of "more than could reasonably be expected which I even stated in the sentence.

hooboy

I responded to the "career year" statement, which you might have picked up on by my several references.

And Gaudreau is scoring just below his NHLe.

stardefender*

What does this have to do with anything?

The comments were specifically about Replacment's spite filled rants *now*. He's acting dumbfounded claiming that there is no explanation for how well the Flames are doing when having one of the best top lines in the league this season is the reason that is seemingly alluding him.

It's not a forward rank of "Ordinary plumbers". It's one of the best top lines in the league this year with several young players adding scoring depth behind it.

It's also one of the better, more mobile top four defenses in the league (Gio's injury not withstanding).

When you take those two vital elements and add the structure, buy-in, work ethic and stable albeit average goaltending... you get an improved, highly motivated young team on the rise.

I get this is an Oiler specific forum, but Replancement's daily, long winded head-in-the-sand spite-rants are getting to be a bit much. It's really not that complicated or mind-blowing.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

The comments were specifically about Replacment's spite filled rants *now*. He's acting dumbfounded claiming that there is no explanation for how well the Flames are doing when having one of the best top lines in the league this season is the reason that is seemingly alluding him.

It's not a forward rank of "Ordinary plumbers". It's one of the best top lines in the league this year with several young players adding scoring depth behind it.

It's also one of the better, more mobile top four defenses in the league (Gio's injury not withstanding).

When you take those two vital elements and add the structure, buy-in, work ethic and stable albeit average goaltending... you get an improved, highly motivated young team on the rise.

I get this is an Oiler specific forum, but Replancement's daily, long winded head-in-the-sand spite-rants are getting to be a bit much. It's really not that complicated or mind-blowing.

Wait? What? A flames fan is posting on an Oilers board and telling us what we should or should not say?

wow

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

then don't read them and go back to the Flames forum or CalgaryPuck

no one is forcing you to read and post in these threads :laugh:

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Wait? What? A flames fan is posting on an Oilers board and telling us what we should or should not say?

wow

Not only that, but insulting an Oiler poster to boot. How dare you not profess your undying love of the regression proof Flames on the Oilers board. For shame Replacement!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad