Around The League II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Continue the discussion here.

Last posts in the previous thread:

Before the Flames 8 game losing streak - 17 points on top of the Oilers.
After the Flames 8 game losing streak - 15 points on top of the Oilers.
Nobody outwins the Oil when it comes to McEichel.

Leafs are crashing back down to earth as well. Were exposed today vs Chicago. 4-0 smack down. All the Leafs talk on TSN and SportsNet was becoming too much. I mean it never goes away completely but it sucks having to listen to all these Eastern media pundits/reporters who are closet Leafs fans, gush about this team and tell us they're thr real deal. No they're not. Far from it.

Leafs sound like the flames

Haarrdddd wurkinnnn

I'm actually very happy the flames played 10 levels above there heads and piled up the points. Those points should keep them out of the McEichel sweepstake, although they are truly terrible and very well could lose every game besides against the oilers.

Are you ****ing kidding me, Kings.

Wow Johnny hockey with 2 goals in the last minute to tie up the game, hat trick tonigh

I was a little skeptical before the season started but sadly hes going to be a legit player

Gaudreau's gonna be a star. Calgary got a good one there. Johnny Hockey is a stupid nickname, Johnny Football (aka Manziel) is annoying as is, give the kid some better nickname or just call him by his actual name.

great game, **** the flames tho.

Oilers cough up a 3 goal lead one night and the Flames come back from a three goal deficit the next.

Kinda symbolic. Though man the Kings look... weak.

Lol what is that? 7 comebacks? Calgary is still garbage

The twelve year old looking kid got a hatty

Besides his crappy nickname, let's give him a medal

Remember the good ol' days when Calgary sucked and we were afraid of them drafting McDavid?

Oh how I long for those days....

Well, Caglary won, the parade is back on again.

Throughout that entire losing streak I was saying, "It's not that bad. They are playing well just not finishing." The Flames had no business winning that game last night. Kings owned them start to finish.

We had a twelve year old who scored eight points one night!

Not too worried about the Flames, they are the Av's of last year. And the higher they end up finishing, the farther they are away from a wonderful draft year.

So is everyone on here still laughing at 'johnny hockey'?

As many goals as any oiler and 5 more points than our top scorer.

He's playing very well, props to him, they deserve a forward prospect finally turning out.

No one is laughing but come on, the kid is a whole 40 lbs. He'll get his soon or later.

Get his what? His Calder?

Hate him all you want, but the kid is playing stupid well on a garbage team. Better than any of our first overall picks are (this season).

But they aren't a garbage team…………………., according to all the pundits.

Their longest losing streak since the 70s would indicate otherwise.

Odds are they will be a bottom five team by year's end. They are garbage.

Peter Zezel

Sep 12, 2003
It's hard to tell if Gaudreau is a flash in the pan or the real deal. He's been pretty dynamic at times this year, but his 2nd & 3rd goals last night were really weak.

Peter Zezel

Sep 12, 2003
How was his second goal weak? He did a patient wrap-around and put it five-hole.

It was along the ice and Quick probably should have had it. Not really on Gaudreau, but the defensive coverage was suspect to with Gaborik giving him the slot easily.

Ozy_Flame

Feb 28, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
It was along the ice and Quick probably should have had it. Not really on Gaudreau, but the defensive coverage was suspect to with Gaborik giving him the slot easily.

If one of the best goalies in the world couldn't stop a wide circle wrap-around on a five-hole, I'm not sure how that would be weak. Quick was incredibly good for most of the game.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Flames haven't had a lead going into the 3rd period since December 2nd and have had the lead in only 3 games of past 10....none since Buffalo 7 games ago...

good thing they usually only need to play 20 minutes a night

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Kings-Flames was a strange game last night. Kings had it all going and even in the 3rd period were dominating in every way. kings had countless point blank shots in 3rd and shot barely wide on most of them. Any of them would have salted the game away.

The tie is incredibly fluky because for some reason on the 2nd goal Doughty is caught chasing and out of position (rare) and the rest of the Kings for some reason are watching Gaudreau dance right in front of the night. Most nights, most times he would have been put flat on his back. Not sure what Kings were doing on that play.

Tying goal was an absolute nothing play where Doughty easily controls Gaudreau to the outside and theres nothing available. Gaudreau attempts to throw the puck to middle ice where nobody is and the puck magically goes off Doughtys skate into the empty net.

lmfao that theres a flames fan here saying that **** wasn't lucky. Both of the goals were entirely against the flow of play as well.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Skilled players tend to get "lucky" a lot. Funny thing.

I hate that he's doing so well, but he's looking more and more like the real deal.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
I'm cheering for Minnesota to shoot up. That way we don't need Calgary to kick Vancouver out. Yes I am shallow and I hate Calgary and Vancouver. I don't mind the other Canadian teams to be honest.

Vancouver is an ok team. They are where they should be I guess. Calgary has 50 horseshoes up their behinds. I still have given them a ton of credit this year. I was too complimentary until I started talking to their fans the last while. Too cocky.

Ozy_Flame

Feb 28, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
lmfao that theres a flames fan here saying that **** wasn't lucky. Both of the goals were entirely against the flow of play as well.

I'm having a hard time digesting the "luck" factor behind the second goal. Third goal? Definitely lucky. Can't argue that. The second goal was a wrap-around when there was space to move in front. To execute that move wasn't a fluke; he didn't fall on his face, have the puck hit his helmet and slide in accidentally. He had an opening, took advantage of it and finished the play, like any good player would (Hall or Nuge included).

Is it lucky if a defenseman who can fire cannons from the point scores repeatedly with the same tactic? I mean, the puck has to get through a number of bodies first.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm having a hard time digesting the "luck" factor behind the second goal. Third goal? Definitely lucky. Can't argue that. The second goal was a wrap-around when there was space to move in front. To execute that move wasn't a fluke; he didn't fall on his face, have the puck hit his helmet and slide in accidentally. He had an opening, took advantage of it and finished the play, like any good player would (Hall or Nuge included).

Is it lucky if a defenseman who can fire cannons from the point scores repeatedly with the same tactic? I mean, the puck has to get through a number of bodies first.
The "luck" on the 2nd goal is you can watch an entire season of LA Kings games and rarely see them allow some player, any player, to walk out in the crease like that or for Doughty to be so out of position on a play. It was awful on the part of a team that isn't making awful plays very often. LA rarely gives that kind of time and space close around their cage. Johnny wasn't even touched. It was strange.

Flames have a lot of heart though and no quit. No question there.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Lol @ some of the posters in here mocking Nashville earlier in the year. At this point they look like a legit Cup contender. Rock solid top to bottom and insanely well coached. Up 2-0 on CHI in the first just peppering the Hawks.

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
Calgary can have all the wins they want. Too good of a draft to let them get anyone anyhow.

Plus that, they have one more point than us in our last ten games, they ain't that great. LA should wake up though.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Johnny G got a pass through 3 kings defenders for his secondary assist tonight.

He is my idol, being his blonde twin and all

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The Flames take another 2 points from the Stanley Cup Champs.

Not that the sad sack Oilers had any chance of beating LA anyway but tonight's outcome pretty much guarantees an absolute beat down tomorrow.

In terms of a fan experience Flames games are everything an Oiler game isnt.

Their fans get to watch a hard working team with quality vets and sheltered kids giving itself a chance to win every game.

All in year 2 of a rebuild.

Thanks for nothing Katz. :shakehead

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I have been watching lots of other teams in the NHL and it makes getting over the Oilers easier.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Another win for Dubnyk. I'm happy for him to be getting another shot at it and am glad he's taking advantage.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
I was actually at that Yotes game last night and dubnyk looked NOTHING like he did in Edmonton. He was calm, collected and focused. He wasn't shaky or tentative either. It was absolutely bizarre considering the games I've seen him play for the Oil.

They absolutely love the guy here

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I was actually at that Yotes game last night and dubnyk looked NOTHING like he did in Edmonton. He was calm, collected and focused. He wasn't shaky or tentative either. It was absolutely bizarre considering the games I've seen him play for the Oil.

Don't worry, it will fall apart.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

The problem with Dubnyk has always been when he's counted on to be "the man" in net...given a starter's minutes, he simply has never shown proof that he can handle the workload at this level. When his minutes are limited, he can look good.

Once the workload increases, his game inevitably starts to fall apart, whether it's due to physical fatigue or inability to handle the pressure of being the main guy in net.. I'm not saying he can't improve and become what the Oilers hoped he'd be when they drafted him a decade ago, but his history up to this point has always been this.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Good for Dubnyk. I hope this strong play continues for him.

He wouldn't be the first player to get the life sucked out of him in Edmonton only to find out how much better it is elsewhere.

Now he has to prove that he is a legit starter.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
Not sure if this is the place to post it but I was looking up old rosters and noticed that Peckham is playing in the ECHL this year. And is minus player.

Can't feel sorry for the guy as a lot of its his own lack of conditioning but... What a waste. There was definitely potential as an NHLer there (not great, mind you) at one point.

And on the flip side of maximizing your potential, I found this random article about one of my personal favorite ex-Oilers, Rem Murray:

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/042114aah.html

Remember when we had a ton of guys like this? Smart, hard-working two-way guys? Now finding one is like the holy grail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad