Around The League II

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The Flames have the 5th best Goal differential in the Western Conference...9th best overall.

You dont carry that goal differential with luck.
As a team they are consistently driving the play in the right direction.
Very determined well coached team thats very resilient and hard to play against.

We shall see how well the (new and improved) Oilers do against the Flames on Saturday night.

Teams generally don't go from 22nd to 5th in goals for without some kind of luck.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
For goalies stats aren't always indicative of how good they are (case in point: Dubnyk).

While Hiller/Ramo have cooled off a bit there were stretches earlier in the season where the goalie for the Flames was always number 1 star.

This simply isn't true. I think Hiller and Ramo combined for 3 first star selections prior to December. Adequate is about the best you could describe this duo and to call this a career year for the literal All-Star Hiller would be inaccurate.

They've been inconsistent throughout the year, which is why neither of them earned the permanent starter position and why Ortio was able to grab a few games. They have had good stretches and yes they have won a couple games the Flames shouldn't be in. The Flames have also lost a couple games against teams that had no business being in it thanks to the opposition goaltenders.

Just go to any thread about the goalies in the Flames and it will be the same, they are inconsistent and we don't feel comfortable with either in net. Heck, a fairly large group of fans wanted a pick for Ramo before the deadline - third rounder or whatever they could get. Most think he will sign as a backup for some team or go to the KHL, for the most part they don't want him signed because Ortio is waiver eligible.

They aren't being completely run out of town or being put into Hart conversation. If you wanted to describe average goaltending, Hiller would be a prime example.

Gio4PM

Nov 4, 2014
Typo. Meant to say outshot and outchanced.

Career years: (easy)

Gaudreau, Hudler, Monahan, Wideman, Russel, Giordano, Brody, Bouma, Joorish, Colbourne, Hiller, Ramo,

Theres a dozen already. Ridiculously if I dug harder I could even add to the list. EVERY one of these players have had the best NHL year yet and/or more than could reasonably be expected in cases of rooks like Gaudreau.

This is also the worst ever NHL year for Gaudreau, Jooris, Poirier, Ferland and Monahan and Granlund's second worst.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The Flames have the 5th best Goal differential in the Western Conference...9th best overall.

You dont carry that goal differential with luck.
As a team they are consistently driving the play in the right direction.
Very determined well coached team thats very resilient and hard to play against.

We shall see how well the (new and improved) Oilers do against the Flames on Saturday night.

I swear to god all of these exact same arguments were made for the Avalanche last year (8th in league in goal differential) and the Maple Leafs the year before (10th in league in goal differential).

The Flames have the most wins in the league when trailing after 1 period, the 2nd most wins in the league when trailing after 2 periods and the most wins in the league when they give up the first goal.

Yeah it shows resilency. Absolutely. But is it sustainable? I wouldn't be so sure.

Part of it I'm sure is us just being jealous Oiler fans. But they are winning by beating the odds. And usually that evens out. Happened to the Maple Leafs and happened to the Avalanche. Will the Flames buck the trend? We'll see. But it's not unreasonable to suggest that they are going to have a significant regression next year.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I swear to god all of these exact same arguments were made for the Avalanche last year (8th in league in goal differential) and the Maple Leafs the year before (10th in league in goal differential).

The Flames have the most wins in the league when trailing after 1 period, the 2nd most wins in the league when trailing after 2 periods and the most wins in the league when they give up the first goal.

Yeah it shows resilency. Absolutely. But is it sustainable? I wouldn't be so sure.

Part of it I'm sure is us just being jealous Oiler fans. But they are winning by beating the odds. And usually that evens out. Happened to the Maple Leafs and happened to the Avalanche. Will the Flames buck the trend? We'll see. But it's not unreasonable to suggest that they are going to have a significant regression next year.

The Flames have a much better defence than the Av's did last season....that will carry them forward IMO.

Gio4PM

Nov 4, 2014
I think the Avs and Leafs (who didn't make the POs anyway) relied on golatending a lot more than Calgary.

Leaving aside rookies and sophomores except Monahan, there are only 4 players who've had significantly better years than before. Monahan, Brodie, Hudler and Bouma. Of those, I think Hudler likely declines, and Bouma is a big maybe. I think Brodie only improves and Monahan can maintain or improve.

There are a bunch of Flames with years that are not big successes scoring-wise - either worse than before or just par for the course: Stajan, Bollig, Byron, Jones, Raymond, Colborne. Some of those will continue to decline but some will improve, like Byron and Colborne. And I expect that a few of the kids will replace some of the decliners - Poirier and Ferland, and of course Bennett.

Will they suffer a few spots worth of decline? Maybe. But I don't expect an Avs decline, much less a Leafs one. I don't think the goaltending will get worse - in fact, maybe better with Ortio. And the Leafs are a completely different animal - no defence at all.

Dan403

Apr 2, 2014
The "unsustainable" argument takes a bit of a hit when you consider that they've been doing it since January of last year. Well over a year now.

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
The fact that 3 teams have pooped their pants this year must be taken into consideration. Last night they looked like junk in the third period. I have seen them do this in many a game and they still win. I guess it's their year.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
The fact that 3 teams have pooped their pants this year must be taken into consideration. Last night they looked like junk in the third period. I have seen them do this in many a game and they still win. I guess it's their year.

That third period may be the worst period they played all year in a winning effort - although they have looked lost at times without Giordano. You haven't seen them do that a lot, not with a +34 third period goal differential.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
That third period may be the worst period they played all year in a winning effort - although they have looked lost at times without Giordano. You haven't seen them do that a lot, not with a +34 third period goal differential.

The Flames are one of the best third period teams in the league, but that's largely because their first two periods are generally not very good and they fall behind.

When a team puts in a solid, complete team effort (See last Blues game) the Flames are simply no match. Teams in playoff mode aren't likely to blow leads in the third. This is where I think the Flames will falter. They'll probably make the playoffs and might even win a series (because their likely opponent will be Vancouver) but if you match them up against the other Western playoff teams I wouldn't give them the advantage.

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
Well I have seen a bottom feeder team run the gamat GK so I am not holding my breath. I sure wish o didn't live in calgary right now.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
The Flames are one of the best third period teams in the league, but that's largely because their first two periods are generally not very good and they fall behind.

When a team puts in a solid, complete team effort (See last Blues game) the Flames are simply no match. Teams in playoff mode aren't likely to blow leads in the third. This is where I think the Flames will falter. They'll probably make the playoffs and might even win a series (because their likely opponent will be Vancouver) but if you match them up against the other Western playoff teams I wouldn't give them the advantage.

Playoffs? We're talking about playoffs? They'll be underdogs no matter what. When the Blues give a full 60 minutes very few teams can keep up with them. No one is arguing they are Stanley Cup favourites here, just that they may not be as big of a surprise as some think and that they may not regress to the Auston Matthews lottery next year.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Playoffs? We're talking about playoffs? They'll be underdogs no matter what. When the Blues give a full 60 minutes very few teams can keep up with them. No one is arguing they are Stanley Cup favourites here, just that they may not be as big of a surprise as some think and that they may not regress to the Auston Matthews lottery next year.

I don't know, I think the Flames could take the Canucks, but with that being said...

Nobody's saying that the Flames will be looking at Auston Mathews next year, I just don't think they'll be a playoff team. 9th-11th range. The Kings will be back, of that I'm certain.

Gio4PM

Nov 4, 2014
I don't know, I think the Flames could take the Canucks, but with that being said...

Nobody's saying that the Flames will be looking at Auston Mathews next year, I just don't think they'll be a playoff team. 9th-11th range. The Kings will be back, of that I'm certain.

The Kings still have a Voynov and Richards problem next year. Their off-season looks pretty interesting.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
That's silly. Career year means (to most people anyway) the best year you ever have in your career. Not the best year in your career so far. That's why you'd expect regression after a career year.

By your definition, Monahan's had 2 career years, and pretty much every year Giordano has played, both befoer and after Russia has been a career year.

ETA: Your definition means that Ferland and Poirier have had career years with their 3 and 1 points respectively. David Wolf's zero points is a career year.
Don't appreciate you labeling silly to any posts that don't agree with your own. Particularly because I have no difficulty defending the positions I've stated and will continue to do so. I'll remind you what board you're posting on if you want to be dismissive about it.

Theres nothing silly about the players listed and its in response to you wanting clarification. You also didn't note my wording "Every one of these players have had the best NHL year yet and/or more than could reasonably be expected " thus outlining what I meant and which applies then to the list of players.

This is also the worst ever NHL year for Gaudreau, Jooris, Poirier, Ferland and Monahan and Granlund's second worst.

With all due respect nobody but a Flames fan would think Gaudreau would have this type of year. Typically such a player wouldn't knock it out of the park in his first year. The kind of stats he's putting up suggest dominant star player. Suggests #1 draft. We'll see I guess but I think when teams start scouting this player more theres going to be some sophomore jinx and with him spending more time on his ass. For sure teams will key on him a lot more. Monahan for draft position has to be considered a pretty huge pleasant surprise. Goal scoring is king imo and I have a lot of respect for the player. But to be putting up 30something goal season in the NHL in todays dead puck era is quite astounding. Really if I had come to the Flames board at start of season and stated Monahan was one of the best centers in the league already and would score over 30 goals and be topten in goal scoring (nearly) you guys would all think I was being sarcastic. Be honest. Think about it. 12 players in the NHL world currently have more goals. That's ****ing incredible. no other words for it. This is a hit it right out of the ballpark year for Monahan and could be years before he bags another 30 goal season which is increasingly rare for todays NHL star players.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
With all due respect nobody but a Flames fan would think Gaudreau would have this type of year.

This is simply factually untrue. Flames fan tempered expectations for the most part, it was the fans of his from college that really elevated the expectations. Lots of people from Boston, New Jersey and Philadelphia area were singing his praises. The people who had actually watched him and didn't dismiss him based on size alone.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Yeah, Kings need a rest year and have played the equivalent(including OT's) of around 100 more games than a team like the Oilers over the last 4 seasons. That's pretty incredible. Additionally all those playoff games are much harder. I generally look at it as 20 Playoff games equating to the toll of 40 regular season games. So looking at it that way Kings have played over one extra season just in the past 3 years.

When most other teams are resting for months the kings have been playing into June. Very difficult to do repeatedly.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
This is simply factually untrue. Flames fan tempered expectations for the most part, it was the fans of his from college that really elevated the expectations. Lots of people from Boston, New Jersey and Philadelphia area were singing his praises. The people who had actually watched him and didn't dismiss him based on size alone.

You have a well expressed opinion and convey your thoughts clearly. So I'll respect that and respectfully disagree. One can always find a faction that waxes incredibly over a collegiate player. We had Schultz elevated to "everybody wants to sign him status" and no end of quotes saying how good he was. Sometimes, well, oft times, its just noise for undrafted or late round draft collegiate players.

I'll be clear here too. I wasn't one of the Oiler fans mocking the kid earlier in the year either. I respected that I saw a livewire player as well. But really to be near PPG as a rookie player is BEYOND expectations for even a #1 pick. The guy is 4th round. OWNING the NHL.

You can't really validly question that this player has greatly EXCEEDED first year expectations. Again, like Monahan, I wonder when Gaudreau would next match his production and how many years that would take to have another season like this one.

Gotta admit I like watching the kid. How could one not? Flames fans got a right to be overjoyed with his play. That he's bringing it on both ends as well is simply amazing.

enjoy

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
I hate, hate, hate, hate saying this as a die-hard Flames fan, but you guys had better beat LA on Thursday. If you do, we promise not to score more than 6 against you on, what, Saturday? :sarcasm: No, but really, please help us! Go Floilems!

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
I think the Avs and Leafs (who didn't make the POs anyway) relied on golatending a lot more than Calgary.

Leaving aside rookies and sophomores except Monahan, there are only 4 players who've had significantly better years than before. Monahan, Brodie, Hudler and Bouma. Of those, I think Hudler likely declines, and Bouma is a big maybe. I think Brodie only improves and Monahan can maintain or improve.

There are a bunch of Flames with years that are not big successes scoring-wise - either worse than before or just par for the course: Stajan, Bollig, Byron, Jones, Raymond, Colborne. Some of those will continue to decline but some will improve, like Byron and Colborne. And I expect that a few of the kids will replace some of the decliners - Poirier and Ferland, and of course Bennett.

Will they suffer a few spots worth of decline? Maybe. But I don't expect an Avs decline, much less a Leafs one. I don't think the goaltending will get worse - in fact, maybe better with Ortio. And the Leafs are a completely different animal - no defence at all.

You’re right - we’re depending on blocked shots, especially from Bouma and rUSSELL.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I hate, hate, hate, hate saying this as a die-hard Flames fan, but you guys had better beat LA on Thursday. If you do, we promise not to score more than 6 against you on, what, Saturday? :sarcasm: No, but really, please help us! Go Floilems!

2 games remaining against the Kings. you guys better be nice.. :D

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
I'll be clear here too. I wasn't one of the Oiler fans mocking the kid earlier in the year either. I respected that I saw a livewire player as well. But really to be near PPG as a rookie player is BEYOND expectations for even a #1 pick. The guy is 4th round. OWNING the NHL.

You can't really validly question that this player has greatly EXCEEDED first year expectations. Again, like Monahan, I wonder when Gaudreau would next match his production and how many years that would take to have another season like this one.

Just with regards to your statement that "With all due respect nobody but a Flames fan would think Gaudreau would have this type of year."

This was a Boston fan who follows Boston college hockey prior to the season:
My guess at his line: 80-23-39-62

62 points.

Unlimited potential, game translated well to WJC, WC and 1gp in NHL, this kid will be special.

A Philadelphia fan who had watched Gaudreau long before he was drafted :
Frankly, most Flames fans are being very modest about this kid (most are calling for 35-40 points) so they don't get torn up for overrating. It's the neutral fans like me who know about this kid and have watched him for years that are the ones talking him up.

He's my Calder pick. I predict between 55-65.

So I reiterate that it was the people who had watched him play that were suggesting he would have the season he is having. Let's say Flames fans hoped he would get 60 points and his College fans thought he would.

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
Flames fan dropping in to say that I hope you guys smash the Kings to bits, and that your current form continues into next year and beyond. #BOA

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
Oh brother. The Kings always beat us. Although, I hope to win only one moe game all year. Funny Flames depending on us. Score six goals on us. We will score seven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad