Around The League II

Status
Not open for further replies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
What does this have to do with anything?

The comments were specifically about Replacment's spite filled rants *now*. He's acting dumbfounded claiming that there is no explanation for how well the Flames are doing when having one of the best top lines in the league this season is the reason that is seemingly alluding him.

It's not a forward rank of "Ordinary plumbers". It's one of the best top lines in the league this year with several young players adding scoring depth behind it.

It's also one of the better, more mobile top four defenses in the league (Gio's injury not withstanding).

When you take those two vital elements and add the structure, buy-in, work ethic and stable albeit average goaltending... you get an improved, highly motivated young team on the rise.

I get this is an Oiler specific forum, but Replancement's daily, long winded head-in-the-sand spite-rants are getting to be a bit much. It's really not that complicated or mind-blowing.

I am certainly not going to defend Replacements propensity for posting emotionally fueled nonsense but you do need to keep in mind what board you are posting on.

That aside the characterization (in this thread) of the Hudler, Monahan, Jonny H line is based on an extremely small sample size. The month of March is not illustrative of whats to come. Its an outlier if there ever was one.

Very good line (with potential moving forward) but lets not get carried away with calling them elite.
The key with the Flames is their defence...are they overachieving...I think they are a little. That said I do think they are good enough to help the Flames continue to be a bubble team as their young forwards continue to develop.

Last edited:

stardefender*

Wait? What? A flames fan is posting on an Oilers board and telling us what we should or should not say?

wow

It's still an open forum, and any way you shake it you're being ignorant.

In no way was I suggesting what you should or shouldn't say. I was pointing out that you keep screaming there's no explanation for something that *is* explainable and then burry your head in the sand when it's reasoned out to you so you can keep banging your head against the wall.

Last edited by a moderator:

stardefender*

Very good line (with potential moving forward) but lets not get carried away with calling them elite.
The key with the Flames is their defence...are they overachieving...I think they are a little. That said I do think they are good enough to help the Flames continue to be a bubble team as their young forwards continue to develop.

It's an elite line this season, and the direct reason as to why Calgary's offense is performing the way it is.

It's worth mentioning, because it seems to be a major element that completely eluded Replacement.

His saying Monahan and Gaudreau might be putting up career high totals this season they'll never reach again is really an aside to that... as short sighted as I think that is.

I get that people on Team specific forums will obviously lean one way and are free to say whatever they want. But the level of stubborn ignorance Replacement is spewing is going to be met with critique in an open forum. Anyone can feel free to be as stubborn and as ignorant as they want, but in an open forum, that ignorance can and should be challenged, especially when it's completely founded in spite.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
What does this have to do with anything?

The comments were specifically about Replacment's spite filled rants *now*. He's acting dumbfounded claiming that there is no explanation for how well the Flames are doing when having one of the best top lines in the league this season is the reason that is seemingly alluding him.

It's not a forward rank of "Ordinary plumbers". It's one of the best top lines in the league this year with several young players adding scoring depth behind it.

It's also one of the better, more mobile top four defenses in the league (Gio's injury not withstanding).

When you take those two vital elements and add the structure, buy-in, work ethic and stable albeit average goaltending... you get an improved, highly motivated young team on the rise.

I get this is an Oiler specific forum, but Replancement's daily, long winded head-in-the-sand spite-rants are getting to be a bit much. It's really not that complicated or mind-blowing.

You have to recognize what forum you're on. The Oilers board is not a place where you are going to get level headed unbiased discussion on the Calgary Flames. That's something you and any other Flames fan needs to recognize before you come here criticizing posters for not being on board with the Flames success.

You don't like what Replacement is saying about your Flames, then feel free to move on. As harsh as this sounds, this is a discussion place for Oiler fans. Not Flames fans. There are plenty of other places on HFboards where you can defend the honour of the Calgary Flames. You don't have to come here and be a white knight for them.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Hey Oilers fans,

Since Winnipeg did you guys a solid in coming back into the NHL (Edmonton has never won a championship without eliminating Winnipeg in the playoffs), you guys can return the favor by beating the Kings and the Flames (especially the flames) this week.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It's still an open forum, and any way you shake it you're being ignorant.

In no way was I suggesting what you should or shouldn't say. I was pointing out that you keep screaming there's no explanation for something that *is* explainable and then burry your head in the sand when it's reasoned out to you so you can keep banging your head against the wall.

You don't comprehend the basic argument;

Replacement;

EVERY one of these players have had the best NHL year yet and/or more than could reasonably be expected in cases of rooks like Gaudreau. (Cites the dozen flames players that have had over and above what could reasonably be expected seasons)

Calgaryclamoringnoise;

No they haven't, they is elite, everybody knew this, stop being ignorant, stop being hating flames, stop be stubborn, stop posting on your own teams board because its too much to take, stop making Flames fan very very angry....Monahan and Gaudreau is new Crosby and Ovechkin, see, can't you see? can't you see with thick skull?..:laugh:

Really I'm trying to be nice with this rundown.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It's an elite line this season, and the direct reason as to why Calgary's offense is performing the way it is.

It's worth mentioning, because it seems to be a major element that completely eluded Replacement.

His saying Monahan and Gaudreau might be putting up career high totals this season they'll never reach again is really an aside to that... as short sighted as I think that is.

I get that people on Team specific forums will obviously lean one way and are free to say whatever they want. But the level of stubborn ignorance Replacement is spewing is going to be met with critique in an open forum. Anyone can feel free to be as stubborn and as ignorant as they want, but in an open forum, that ignorance can and should be challenged, especially when it's completely founded in spite.

Are you going to be OK?

stardefender*

Are you going to be OK?

Well I'm not having outbursts on the same manufactured scenario every day, so yes.

You have had a lot of "points" in your ramblings. I focused on the one... you suggesting there is "no explanation for the Flames rise in offense this year."

I pointed out you have been neglecting to comprehend the fact they have one of the top #1 lines in the league this year. That, and their top four defense are your answer, yet you keep expressing bewilderment.

I'm not upset in the least. As was mentioned, while this is an Oilers board, there is no rule against taking issue with certain points Oiler fans (IE you in this case) make and pointing them out.

I've done so very clearly, so now I'll leave you be in your anger.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
I love how Flames fans talk up their franchise like they are really smart. Didn't they try their darnest to get rid of Gio. He bolted to Russia. Yup, they know it all. Luck has a lot to do with it.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Well I'm not having outbursts on the same manufactured scenario every day, so yes.

You have had a lot of "points" in your ramblings. I focused on the one... you suggesting there is "no explanation for the Flames rise in offense this year."

I pointed out you have been neglecting to comprehend the fact they have one of the top #1 lines in the league this year. That, and their top four defense are your answer, yet you keep expressing bewilderment.

I'm not upset in the least. As was mentioned, while this is an Oilers board, there is no rule against taking issue with certain points Oiler fans (IE you in this case) make and pointing them out.

I've done so very clearly, so now I'll leave you be in your anger.

No, you haven't fathomed what my position actually is. Which I've stated multiple times.

In essence, and as stated that Flames have exceeded expectations.

Oh look, exhibit A, out of the mouths of babes, actual flames fans projections for this season.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1724753&highlight=predictions

Thus several players in the lineup greatly exceeding what even homer fans felt they would produce this season. Slamdunk.

Last edited:

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
EVERY one of these players have had the best NHL year yet and/or more than could reasonably be expected in cases of rooks like Gaudreau.

Understandably that you didn't follow a Flames prospect prior to this season. And in your defense, I was expecting a sophomore slump for Monahan. But again, this is factually untrue when it comes to Gaudreau. Many of those who followed him where expecting him to put up 60+ points and fight for/win the Calder. Some thought a year, or a couple months, in the AHL would do him good but really no one who followed him denied that he had the skills to be a top six forward.

It's hard to argue that no one could reasonably expect Gaudreau to have 22-38-60 when a reasonable, non-Flames fan, poster is predicting him to have 23-39-62 before the season started. He was spot on. He was far from the only one.

It was people who didn't pay attention, saw a 4th rounder the size of a small child and expected nothing of him.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
I have a lot of Flames loving friends. Not one person thought they would be better than a bottom five team. Once they were, they all got high on themselves. Bragging about drafting, etc lol. Take it easy..

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Understandably that you didn't follow a Flames prospect prior to this season. And in your defense, I was expecting a sophomore slump for Monahan. But again, this is factually untrue when it comes to Gaudreau. Many of those who followed him where expecting him to put up 60+ points and fight for/win the Calder. Some thought a year, or a couple months, in the AHL would do him good but really no one who followed him denied that he had the skills to be a top six forward.

It's hard to argue that no one could reasonably expect Gaudreau to have 22-38-60 when a reasonable, non-Flames fan, poster is predicting him to have 23-39-62 before the season started. He was spot on. He was far from the only one.

It was people who didn't pay attention, saw a 4th rounder the size of a small child and expected nothing of him.

Its hard to argue that? This is what your actual Flames fans were predicting prior to season start;

none of them predicted as many as 60pts. Several were predicting around 40pts ftr. Most Calgary posters didn't think Gaudreau would even be up with the Flames all season.

Again, he has EXCEEDED even the expectations of homer Flames fans.

Last edited:

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Its hard to argue? This is what your actual Flames fans were predicting;

Those aren't the people I've been talking about. Most Flames fans didn't watch Gaudreau outside of the World Juniors. I've been talking about the people who did.

Look at TSN projections in September, they had him tied with Nugent-Hopkins with 55 points (in 77 games).
61. Jonathan Drouin TB LW 72 17 38 55 2 14 36
62. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins EDM C 75 17 38 55 -2 20 20
63. Johnny Gaudreau CGY LW 77 23 32 55 3 15 22
Of course they were way off with Drouin.

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2014/8/16/5980151/10-bold-predictions-for-the-2014-15-season
4. Johnny Gaudreau will score 60 points and run away with the Calder Trophy for best rookie.

Johnny Gaudreau has done nothing but light poor goaltenders up for the last few years. He's a big reason I believe the Flames won't be a complete joke next season. He's got a ton of skill and, while he's tiny, he's slippery as hell and great at finding openings. I hate the guy, but he deserves his nickname "Johnny Hockey".
He also predicted the Sharks to win the Cup.

The advanced stats crowd was pointing out his 67 NHLe as a reasonable argument. The point is there were a lot of reasonable people expecting him to put up the 60 points and fight for the Calder.

Just because homer Flames fans, who hadn't actually watched him, and had the luxury of seeing other top prospects like Nemisz, Chucko, Pelech and Irving faulter to the point where they became jaded, doesn't mean others weren't expecting Gaudreau to put up this type of season.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Those aren't the people I've been talking about. Most Flames fans didn't watch Gaudreau outside of the World Juniors. I've been talking about the people who did.

Look at TSN projections in September, they had him tied with Nugent-Hopkins with 55 points (in 77 games).

Of course they were way off with Drouin.

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2014/8/16/5980151/10-bold-predictions-for-the-2014-15-season

He also predicted the Sharks to win the Cup.

So he predicted Gaudreau would get 60pts and the corroborating point of evidence that this was a well prognosticating poster was that the Sharks were going to win the cup.

lets see...

;)

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
So he predicted Gaudreau would get 62pts and the corroborating point of evidence that this was a well prognosticating poster was that the Sharks were going to win the cup.

lets see...

;)

And everyone predicted that the Flames would not fight for the playoffs - well except for Aaron Ward. Yet here we are. That's the thing about predictions, some don't happen and I illustrated it with both having TSN put up 55 points for Drouin and the guy predict a Sharks Stanley Cup win.

The point is that there were a multitude of people expecting Gaudreau to put up ~60 points. Here we are, and they have been proven right - at least in that prediction.

Right now it seems that the conversation is going:

Replacement: "No one could have seen Gaudreau scoring 60 points!"
Paper: "Well here's some people who predicted he would have scored 60 points."
Replacement:" "No one could have predicted Gaudreau would score 60 points!"
Paper: "Here's some more people who predicted it."
Replacement: "Not even Flames fans could have predicted Gaudreau would score 60 points."
Paper: "..."

Not really sure what you're end game is anyways. Everyone agrees that the Flames are the surprise team this year. Whether or not Gaudreau was a surprise (which to those who followed him, he wasn't), does it really matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad