Around the League: Capitals and Ovie are Stanley Cup Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Go Ovie!

I really loved the way Caps' depth players skate and are responsible defensively. Their chips out of the zone are on point. We could use some of that.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
First time Cup winner either way. History making final, though it's fair to say one bit of history might be a bit crazier to fathom than the other.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Actually he’s quite popular in Tampa.

Not one sane person, in his situation, would pick Toronto over Tampa.

most people feel that he tried to use Toronto (as most people do) to drive up his price in Tampa.
that tends to irritate a lot of people.

Reactions: Trawna Phan

WillyFirstofhisName

Mar 1, 2016
Busy as hell, but for the first time since childhood, I plan on watching every game of the cup final. The spoiled vs the starved. I really want to see OV lift the cup.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
most people feel that he tried to use Toronto (as most people do) to drive up his price in Tampa.
that tends to irritate a lot of people.

But that seems silly in retrospect considering the reasonable caphit he ended up taking. People were throwing numbers like him getting 10+ million, but at he end he clearly took a number to help his home-drafted team win.

Reactions: Devonator

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
But that seems silly in retrospect considering the reasonable caphit he ended up taking. People were throwing numbers like him getting 10+ million, but at he end he clearly took a number to help his home-drafted team win.

Im pretty sure that because of taxes etc he's actually not taken any kind of discount, if i remember correctly Toronto would have been forced to offer a much higher amount than Tampa just to match the actually cash he'd be making.

My personal opinion is that Stevie Y made him the offer he eventually took in November, and after he'd taken all of the offers during the negotiation period he realised he wasn't going to be making any more money by going to another team, pair that with the fact Tampa is set up for a long period of success and you do have a no brainer.

JT is hopefully going to be a very different situation, but thats a whole other topic eh.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

because that's all that was offered to him. remember, Yzerman never budged from the number he presented, it wasn't like he took it out of the goodness of his heart.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I love this final. Vegas is such a good story, but at the same time I'd love to see Ovechkin win one, if only to put the ridiculous notion that he's not a playoff performer to rest.

I’ve been pulling for both teams in each series they’ve played.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Are they waiting to start the series on Monday because of the long weekend?

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Actually he’s quite popular in Tampa.

Not one sane person, in his situation, would pick Toronto over Tampa.

I'm for Toronto. Everyone else can go to hell.

The way I see it, you're either with us or you're against us. And if you're against us (and especially if you give up a chance to be with us), you should burn, burn, burn.

kyle n00bas

Dec 10, 2017

The way I see it, you're either with us or you're against us. And if you're against us (and especially if you give up a chance to be with us), you should burn, burn, burn.
Brown Shirt, more like :sarcasm:

I'm kinda in the same boat. I cheer against certain teams and hope one I feel more or less neutral towards wins, but I don't think it's ever translated to actively cheering for any team in anywhere near the same way I do for the Leafs. I definitely won't be missing any Marlies games to watch the SCF.

It's nice it turned out to be Caps/Knights, though. It'll be a good story either way.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
First time Cup winner either way. History making final, though it's fair to say one bit of history might be a bit crazier to fathom than the other.
So glad we are going to get a new Cup winner. I'm tired of Pittsburgh/LA/Chicago.
The league is supposed to be about parity yet hardly anyone new wins it and for the better part of a decade it's even been the same (give or take) teams to make the playoffs and miss them.
Not really parity if the same handful of teams keep going for lottery wins vs. Cup wins.

Reactions: OddyOh and Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
So glad we are going to get a new Cup winner. I'm tired of Pittsburgh/LA/Chicago.
The league is supposed to be about parity yet hardly anyone new wins it and for the better part of a decade it's even been the same (give or take) teams to make the playoffs and miss them.
Not really parity if the same handful of teams keep going for lottery wins vs. Cup wins.

It's always a different feeling once the Leafs are done, but there are points of interest here. Guaranteed first time Cup winner, Ovie's chase, teams built by McPhee, and obviously VGK's chance to do something incredible.

Dynasties (or their equivalent in a cap world) can be fun, and the Cup is viewed as tough to win when so few teams have recently, but there's been a good amount of turnover in playoff teams from a season ago, and maybe that makes more teams optimistic of what they might be able to achieve going forward.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Maybe the Leafs didn’t offer him? Maybe he never had the chance to be a Leaf......ever think of that?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It's always a different feeling once the Leafs are done, but there are points of interest here. Guaranteed first time Cup winner, Ovie's chase, teams built by McPhee, and obviously VGK's chance to do something incredible.

Dynasties (or their equivalent in a cap world) can be fun, and the Cup is viewed as tough to win when so few teams have recently, but there's been a good amount of turnover in playoff teams from a season ago, and maybe that makes more teams optimistic of what they might be able to achieve going forward.

That different feeling you have “once the Leafs are done” is called normalcy.

Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
That different feeling you have “once the Leafs are done” is called normalcy.

:) I enjoy the games differently then, without the vested interest in who wins. I'll also take losing in the playoffs over no playoffs.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
For the love of God, Washington, please win. Ovie can get his Cup finally, and I want nothing to do with that crap stain if the Golden Knights were to with the Cup.

Reactions: ToneDog

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
:) I enjoy the games differently then, without the vested interest in who wins. I'll also take losing in the playoffs over no playoffs.

I know, eh!

Last night I was thinking (dreaming) about how nervous I would be if the Leafs were up 3-0 going into the 3rd of the ECF. Then again, if they made that far, they probably learned how to hold on to a 3 goal lead.

Reactions: Buds17

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
because that's all that was offered to him. remember, Yzerman never budged from the number he presented, it wasn't like he took it out of the goodness of his heart.

But he could have left to another team in free agency for more money.

He opted to stay with his original team, so I never quite understood why some Leafs fans got upset. It’s not as if he went to the Habs or Sabres over the Leafs.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad