Around the League: Capitals and Ovie are Stanley Cup Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillyFirstofhisName

Mar 1, 2016
It's so true, the similarities are pretty spot on.

I wouldn't even go that far. I mean we made a TON of mistakes. Clarkson, getting burnt on the Kessel trade, Tyler Biggs, Steen, Rask...all pitiful. But besides Steen and Rask, at least the motives were somewhat understandable value for value. At least we tilt the table the other way at times. Look at Bergevin's history of trades. Tell me if you see one that worked out anywhere close to JVR, Phaneuf, both Franson trades, Gardiner/Lupul, Grabovski. This is a higher peak of incompetence IMO. We just had to deal with our crap much longer. There is still time for the Habs though :popcorn:

History of NHL trades by the Montreal Canadiens - NHL Trade Tracker

Last edited:
Reactions: Fluke Schenn

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I think the Habs did poorly in the Galchenyuk-Domi trade, but I can't say I'm happy about getting to watch 10 minutes of pre-game videos about Max Domi 6 nights a year now instead of 2.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
I wouldn't even go that far. I mean we made a TON of mistakes. Clarkson, getting burnt on the Kessel trade, Tyler Biggs, Steen, Rask...all pitiful. But besides Steen and Rask, at least the motives were somewhat understandable value for value. At least we tilt the table the other way at times. Look at Bergevin's history of trades. Tell me if you see one that worked out anywhere close to JVR, Phaneuf, both Franson trades, Gardiner/Lupul, Grabovski. This is a higher peak of incompetence IMO. We just had to deal with our crap much longer. There is still time for the Habs though :popcorn:

History of NHL trades by the Montreal Canadiens - NHL Trade Tracker
Just a pet peeve but Clarkson's signing needs an asterisk beside it. The guy had degenerative back issues that only got worse when he was moved to Columbus, yet he did his best to play through the pain. I have to think if something so major was found out earlier, the Leafs would not have made the offer. I think this is one of those circumstances, especially given how hard it is to diagnose and treat back issues, that should give Nonis (?) a mulligan. Everything else is spot on lol.

Reactions: WillyFirstofhisName

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Ottawa needs a total restart.

Give Colorado the 4th overall pick this season (get that out of the way without the prospect of goving them 1st overall all season), trade Karlsson and Hoffman now. Trade Duchene mid season. Trade Stone.

Total burn and start anew

Reactions: Liminality

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Strange, because all I heard on this board when Bernier was here is that he's too small for the NHL at 6'0.

And this isn't just about Bernier, it's about the stigma recently against smaller goaltenders when the two greatest to ever play in Roy and Hasek were listed at 6'0 and 6'1 respectively. Even Leaf favorites CuJo and Belfour were 5'11.

are you really lamenting over Bernier though? he was meh.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Domi was playing C for Arizona in the middle of the season so you know the Habs view him as a full time C.

Last edited:

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Ottawa needs a total restart.

Give Colorado the 4th overall pick this season (get that out of the way without the prospect of goving them 1st overall all season), trade Karlsson and Hoffman now. Trade Duchene mid season. Trade Stone.

Total burn and start anew

Its sad to see our biggest rival in such a tire fire. Hoffman , Stone , Duchene and Karlsson are good pieces to build around but they're going to lose them and be the Arizona Coyotes for 10 years now. I've been wanting to face them again in the playoffs for a while. Oh well. Burn baby burn.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Its sad to see our biggest rival in such a tire fire. Hoffman , Stone , Duchene and Karlsson are good pieces to build around but they're going to lose them and be the Arizona Coyotes for 10 years now. I've been wanting to face them again in the playoffs for a while. Oh well. Burn baby burn.
I'm not sad about it at all! Not one iota.

As an Ottawa resident, and, a HUGE Leafs fan, I've taken enough grief from Sens fans to last a lifetime! What hurts even more, is the disrespect received from ex-Leafs fans that switched their allegiances on the return of the Sens to Ottawa. They can stay on the Sens band wagon too, as far as I'm concerned!

Sorry, the Sens can self destruct every day, all day, for ever and ever, as far as I'm concerned.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I'm not sad about it at all! Not one iota.

As an Ottawa resident, and, a HUGE Leafs fan, I've taken enough grief from Sens fans to last a lifetime! What hurts even more, is the disrespect received from ex-Leafs fans that switched their allegiances on the return of the Sens to Ottawa. They can stay on the Sens band wagon too, as far as I'm concerned!

Sorry, the Sens can self destruct every day, all day, for ever and ever, as far as I'm concerned.

Agree with this.

When the Leafs were a trainwreck, there weren't any other fanbases sending their most heartfelt sympathies.

Let the Sens self destruct.

Reactions: Al14

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Strange, because all I heard on this board when Bernier was here is that he's too small for the NHL at 6'0.

And this isn't just about Bernier, it's about the stigma recently against smaller goaltenders when the two greatest to ever play in Roy and Hasek were listed at 6'0 and 6'1 respectively. Even Leaf favorites CuJo and Belfour were 5'11.

Big>small in every position.

If two players have an identical skill set you would always take the bigger one.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Oh and since we’re on the subject, f*** the sens. I hope they get relocated. I enjoy going to Ottawa to watch hockey games but I’d pay the extra coin and time to go to Montreal instead. Joke franchise

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'm all for Ottawa being in the dumpster for a few years so long as they don't lose their team. As much as I hate them, they are still a Canadian team.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Agree with this.

When the Leafs were a trainwreck, there weren't any other fanbases sending their most heartfelt sympathies.

Let the Sens self destruct.
I have no problem with a terrible owner and lousy GM. I could laugh at that all day (see Montreal). But the other stuff, harassment, cyber bullying, etc, there is no place for that and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. They need to fix that ASAP. It’s horriblr. They can destruct on a regular being a clown show level.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I'm all for Ottawa being in the dumpster for a few years so long as they don't lose their team. As much as I hate them, they are still a Canadian team.

meh.
I don't get the whole "it needs to be a Canadian team." thing

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
meh.
I don't get the whole "it needs to be a Canadian team." thing
It's more so the fact that these are good markets that actually appreciate hockey. Sure, I would rather eat garbage than see any of Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Montreal or Ottawa win a Cup, but I don't want them to lose their teams cause they actually have good fanbases that truly love the game. While I don't mind Ottawa sucking, I do feel for them with Melnyk as well as their arena situation and I hope a good owner takes over. Hockey is more fun when our rivalries are meaningful.

Reactions: ULF_55

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I have no problem with a terrible owner and lousy GM. I could laugh at that all day (see Montreal). But the other stuff, harassment, cyber bullying, etc, there is no place for that and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. They need to fix that ASAP. It’s horriblr. They can destruct on a regular being a clown show level.

Yes, I should clarify that in no way am I for the harassment & cyber bullying. There is no place in the world for that.

I am in favour of the thoughts of Karlsson not being on the team anymore, the Sens having to play Cody Ceci 20+ minutes a night and them not having Hoffman in the line-up.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
It's more so the fact that these are good markets that actually appreciate hockey. Sure, I would rather eat garbage than see any of Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Montreal or Ottawa win a Cup, but I don't want them to lose their teams cause they actually have good fanbases that truly love the game. While I don't mind Ottawa sucking, I do feel for them with Melnyk as well as their arena situation and I hope a good owner takes over. Hockey is more fun when our rivalries are meaningful.

alrighty, i totally understand that bit. :)
(and i wasn't slagging Bert or anything, it was more i know a lot of people get on the "Canadian Team!" thing, and I don't really understand but that makes sense).

Reactions: 1specter

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Yes, I should clarify that in no way am I for the harassment & cyber bullying. There is no place in the world for that.

I am in favour of the thoughts of Karlsson not being on the team anymore, the Sens having to play Cody Ceci 20+ minutes a night and them not having Hoffman in the line-up.
I think it's a given that one or both of Hoffman/Karlsson are gone.
If the Ottawa organization wants to sign Karlsson long term then goodbye Hoffman. I'm surprised it's taking this long. Innocent or guilty it's just a bad drama situation that should have been rectified. You're going to lose on the Hoffman deal badly but if it meant keeping Karlsson long term it should have been done. Regardless of return. You keep it quiet and take the best deal possible. Management seriously dropped the ball.
Now are we at the point where Karlsson and his wife just say that's enough, we are leaving. 30 teams will be looking at Karlsson so he have no worries about a job. All that's left is to pick the city.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The Hoffman situation plus the longstanding issue with Melnyk and ownership will drive Karlsson out. Even if Hoffman is moved, I think there has been enough shit with ownership for EK to want to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad