Around the League: Capitals and Ovie are Stanley Cup Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Yikes just been reading some of this stuff.
If true, that woman is a nutbar...and what a mess the Sens are in

apparently the Sens knew since November
this makes sooo much more sense about the Karlsson trade rumours.

man. you would think (or hope) that something like this the organization would have shut this down right quick.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

man. you would think (or hope) that something like this the organization would have shut this down right quick.

He still 100% denies it. Will be interesting to see the outcome. They will find out who it was

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
He still 100% denies it. Will be interesting to see the outcome. They will find out who it was

he being Hoffman?
all i have to say is, it's gonna be a sticky wicket regardless what happens. this is real serious poop.

kyle n00bas

Dec 10, 2017

WTF? At what point does the NHL step in?

I'm all for our rivals being crappy but after Harold Ballard I wouldn't wish outright villainous management on anyone.

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

I'm all for our rivals being crappy but after Harold Ballard I wouldn't wish outright villainous management on anyone.

me either. general dysfunction - i'm okay with
being crappy - sure. they can suffer
ignoring out right bullying without trying to stop it what so ever, is wrong.

Yup Hoffman
Nice dressing room that must have been

i am trying to be benefit of the doubt. however. i find it really hard to believe that something like this you aren't aware of something. like when i don't like someone i gripe it to my mom or my friends. so if Hoffman's girlfriend hated Mrs Karlsson this much that it escalated to this i doubt very much she could have been that quiet that he didn't have an idea how much she hated her.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
me either. general dysfunction - i'm okay with
being crappy - sure. they can suffer
ignoring out right bullying without trying to stop it what so ever, is wrong.

i am trying to be benefit of the doubt. however. i find it really hard to believe that something like this you aren't aware of something. like when i don't like someone i gripe it to my mom or my friends. so if Hoffman's girlfriend hated Mrs Karlsson this much that it escalated to this i doubt very much she could have been that quiet that he didn't have an idea how much she hated her.

Yeah some of the comments she made - that's sociopathic. Hoffman is either lying or it really wasn't his fiance - which I find hard to believe but the truth will come out soon

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
What's with all the wives/girlfriends getting guys in trouble because of social media lately?

Must be nice to have so much free time on your hands with nothing better to do...

Reactions: SAMCRO44

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere

Thought this was pretty interesting.

Big goalies seem to be the fad at the moment (ie Babcock has commented on Andersen’s frame), yet larger goalies don’t seem to deliver championships as often

Strange, because all I heard on this board when Bernier was here is that he's too small for the NHL at 6'0.

And this isn't just about Bernier, it's about the stigma recently against smaller goaltenders when the two greatest to ever play in Roy and Hasek were listed at 6'0 and 6'1 respectively. Even Leaf favorites CuJo and Belfour were 5'11.

Reactions: carko32

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Strange, because all I heard on this board when Bernier was here is that he's too small for the NHL at 6'0.

And this isn't just about Bernier, it's about the stigma recently against smaller goaltenders when the two greatest to ever play in Roy and Hasek were listed at 6'0 and 6'1 respectively. Even Leaf favorites CuJo and Belfour were 5'11.

I think smaller goaltenders can succeed in todays NHL (look how great Saros has been), but it is definitely harder to succeed as a small goalie.

The game has changed and using past goalies as a reason why shorter goalies can succeed is mostly irrelevant.

The biggest reason why Bernier didnt succeed in the NHL was because of his size though. Not because small goalies cant be good, but because of his style which included going into the butterfly too quickly (leaving shots above his shoulders easier to make). There has also been changes to shoulder pads if im not mistaken making it harder for small goalies to protect the upper part of the net.

Simply put, Bernier either needs to (kind of substantially) adjust his style or grow 4+ inches. Thats why I think most people said he was too small.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I think smaller goaltenders can succeed in todays NHL (look how great Saros has been), but it is definitely harder to succeed as a small goalie.

The game has changed and using past goalies as a reason why shorter goalies can succeed is mostly irrelevant.

The biggest reason why Bernier didnt succeed in the NHL was because of his size though. Not because small goalies cant be good, but because of his style which included going into the butterfly too quickly (leaving shots above his shoulders easier to make). There has also been changes to shoulder pads if im not mistaken making it harder for small goalies to protect the upper part of the net.

Simply put, Bernier either needs to (kind of substantially) adjust his style or grow 4+ inches. Thats why I think most people said he was too small.
It's all about trends and success.
For a long time you had to be 6'4, 230 lbs on defense. Then teams/players start to change that trend. Smaller wingers were a no no.
It will take a few smaller goalies (to have success) with high skill and a new style beyond "butterfly" to change the minds and trends. I wish they would get rid of the trapezoid and allow puck playing goalies to flourish as well. I think it's foolish to penalize a goalie for being a good puck handler. Plus it's great to watch the teams that don't have a great puck handler. Good adventure.

Reactions: OddyOh

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
I actually lived through some of the Ballard years, and the terrible stretch of dysfunction during the late 80's in Toronto, and I can honestly say I've never seen a more dysfunctional franchise in hockey than the current Ottawa Senators. Aside from all the Hoffman - Karlsson stuff, look at the brutal hockey moves they have made.

The stupidest move has to be giving up a unprotected 1st for Matt Duchene knowing that you were going to lose Karlsson, and allegedly knowing you could lose Hoffman for pennies in the off-season. They are guaranteed giving up a top 5 pick here. Either you give Colorado this years 4th overall, or you roll the dice that you don't finish with 1st overall next season, which is more than likely considering the situation. WTF kind of choice is that? And for Duchene none the less! At least we got Kessel for our 1st overall pick.

And what I think takes this into worst owner ever category, is that an anonymous fan actually gave him a part of his f***ING LIVER, just because he wanted Melnyk to "bring the Stanley Cup back home to Ottawa". You can't make this stuff up. At least Ballard never asked fans for body parts.

This has now gone beyond enjoying the dysfunction due to my hate of the Senators. I just feel sorry for the fans, and the players. It's like a dog in the middle of the road barely alive after getting smoked by a car...just put it out of its misery. The NHL should step in at this point. If Melnyk won't sell the franchise, move the team to Quebec and be done with it.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Max Domi to the Habs for Galchenyuk!

Daddy Domi should hate this trade! LOL

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
The new doormats in the east for the next 5 years.

Wow.

C is your weakness, so you trade someone who at least might play C one day for a less skilled winger?

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Bergevin is the gift that keeps on giving.
Next move: O'Reilly for 3rd OA, book it.

WillyFirstofhisName

Mar 1, 2016

Or outright, rock-bottom incompetent management. So long Galchenyuk. At least we kind of could read the majority of Burke's moves within the context of the situation. I cannot read Bergevin at all.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Bergevin and the Habs are real headscratchers. Galchenyuk is their only natural (or at least potential, not sure how Julien used him) top six centre and he trades him 1 for 1 for yet another winger!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad