Around the League: Capitals and Ovie are Stanley Cup Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I feel like we are closer to Buffalo than we are to Winnipeg, Nashville and Tampa to be honest.
R u serious?
I hope you are joking BC that's like saying Dahlin is closer to Marincin than Jake, or Malkin is closer to Brooks than Sid.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Welp, Dahlin is in the division. That makes the Sabres a lot more well rounded to be honest. Eichel - RoR down the middle with presumably Middlestadt and Nylander on the wings. Dahlin and Risto on the back end filling out with whatever depth they have. Wonder if they'll screw it up.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I feel like we are closer to Buffalo than we are to Winnipeg, Nashville and Tampa to be honest.

Well like 10 points separated the leafs from Tampa et al. And 40 points seperated the leafs from buffalo so I would disagree

Reactions: Al14

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I sort of understand his point on the Sabres. The Leafs could miss the playoffs next year because they were as close to Florida as they were TB and Boston. Having said that, the experience the core gained the past two years probably separates them from Buffalo.

Reactions: Critical

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Nashville: 117 pts
Winnipeg: 114 pts
Toronto: 105 pts
Buffalo: 62 pts

The Marlies are closer to Buffalo than the Leafs

pretty stupid feeling, no offense.

Tampa: 54 wins (1st)
Nashville: 53 wins (2nd)
Winnipeg: 52 wins (3rd)
Toronto: 49 wins (6th)
Buffalo: 25 wins (31st)

Well like 10 points separated the leafs from Tampa et al. And 40 points seperated the leafs from buffalo so I would disagree

I meant with Dahlin and Mittelstadt in their lineup, as in moving forward. We obviously were far ahead of them this year.

However, Freddie kept us in a lot of games, and our underlying numbers are still a bit disturbing. I would need to see the team play significantly better defensively before I put us with those teams.

Buffalo still has some serious flaws, but compare the teams now, and it's a lot closer.

Top 6 Forwards

Matthews, Kadri, Marner, Nylander, Marleau, JvR (Kap/Johnsson)
Eichel, RoR, Mittelstadt, Reinhary, Okposo, Pominville/Nylander

Top 3 Defence

Rielly, Gardiner, Zaitsev
Dahlin, Ristolainen, Scandella

We still have advantage on depth scoring and definitely in net. Dahlin and Mittelstadt will bump everyone in their lineup down into a spot which more closely reflects their skill level, and that's huge. We had the same thing with the AM affect.

When I watch Winnipeg, Nash and Tampa, they've got better high end talent at key positions, better depth, and they still match our young cores pretty well, or even better.

This might be a reaction to seeing AM and WN completely shut down in the playoffs, but I've lost some faith in our ability to outscore our defensive woes, and those woes require some serious investment to fix.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Buffalo has some very nice pieces but theyre still a mess of a team.

The Leafs even have the better defensive corps despite Dahlin in the mix.

All I know is that our division is going to be even tougher very soon. I hope we can adapt and stay on top.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trawna Phan

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
All I know is that our division is going to even tougher very soon. I hope we can adapt and stay on top.

Agreed.

Next couple seasons in particular are going to be very important in setting this team up to be successful for the next decade. Need management to be on the top of their game

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Buffalo has some very nice pieces but theyre still a mess of a team.

The Leafs even have the better defensive corps despite Dahlin in the mix.

Not so sure. Dahlin and Ritso are pretty good building blocks. May not take much for them to surpass our D. We need to flex our muscles on July 1st.

Reactions: Al14

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Tom Wilson will not even have a hearing for his hit. Kadri got three games.

This league is such a f***ing joke. And no, I'm not excusing Kadri of anything, I'm pointing the lack of consistency with the DoPS.

Reactions: ToneDog and Al14

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
All I know is that our division is going to be even tougher very soon. I hope we can adapt and stay on top.

If not, we will regress and draft high again.

We still have elite talent, great prospects (good potential with Ransnen, Greenway, Lily) We may just have to reformulate a bit.

I do hate that the Sabres will draft Dahlin, but he has not played in the league yet, and who knows what will happen. Some posters are already claiming that they are more set with Dahlin and will surpass us....I hate that we will be forced to listen to that fanbase all summer.

Reactions: Dzonna

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
I do hate that the Sabres will draft Dahlin, but he has not played in the league yet, and who knows what will happen. Some posters are already claiming that they are more set with Dahlin and will surpass us....I hate that we will be forced to listen to that fanbase all summer.

Better than Montreal. Imagine those fans all summer bragging how with Price and Dahlin whey will be right back a top of Atlantic division. Mtl at #3 is perfect. No Dahlin, no center, only wingers are available at that spot.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
We've been hearing how Edmonton and Buffalo are ahead of us for 5 years now.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Hot-Take: Tom Dundon's long-term play is to move the franchise to Houston.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
(sigh). i guess there is a reason why i can't edit the around the league thread. :(
oh. there is i'm not the thread creator anymore.

i guess here was a reason why i'm not.
:(

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Tom Wilson will not even have a hearing for his hit. Kadri got three games.

This league is such a ****ing joke. And no, I'm not excusing Kadri of anything, I'm pointing the lack of consistency with the DoPS.
Absolutely ridiculous! Atrocious consistency, on, and off, the ice!

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Better than Montreal. Imagine those fans all summer bragging how with Price and Dahlin whey will be right back a top of Atlantic division. Mtl at #3 is perfect. No Dahlin, no center, only wingers are available at that spot.

Honestly, Dahlin cannot ask to be in a better environment to start his career if Habs won the lottery. As he will most likely play with Weber and if he ever makes a mistake, there is Price behind him to cover his ass.

Like I said earlier, Leafs need to build on what they have to beat TB, Boston, Pitts and Caps.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
What a gong show in Carolina...Ron Francis finally fired...and Joe Nieuwendyk resigns as pro scout and adviser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad