Around the League: Capitals and Ovie are Stanley Cup Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
BUF won’t do anything until they get a goalie.

I hope they do well though. I’d love nothing more than a Toronto-Buffalo playoff series.

Have always liked that rivalry

Reactions: tmlfan98

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
dahlin - hit
middlestadt - hit
nylander - too early to say
eichel - hit
reinhart - miss
risto - hit
girgensons - decent pick
ROR - win considering the value of Zadorov (decent pick) and Grigorenko (miss)
both Kane trades - losses
Okposo - a degrading asset signed big for the next 5 years
Vesey - LOL

I mean Buffalo is getting noticeably better, but for a rebuild that has lasted longer than ours they still have wayyyy more holes and poor depth. Their notable picks and trades have been a mixed bag, and they have done pretty much nothing positive outside that. No doubt they have a solid center core going forward. They should be able to put together a great top 9. They now have an elite 1st pairing, but past McCabe, the 2nd and 3rd D pairings need a lot of help. Beside Guhle, they don't have anyone in the pipeline. And they have no goalie (I'm so glad Lou sprung for Freddy. #1 goalies are so hard to get). It's good they got rid of that miserable $*** Murray, but their FO remains questionable. Buffalo won't turn things around unless they smarten up organizationally.

Buffalo is getting noticeably better? Since they drafted Eichel, traded for O'Reilly/others and declared "rebuild over" they have gone from 81 to 78 to 62 points. Definitely noticeable, noticeably worse.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm not making an assumption. I'm just saying it's not out of the realm of possibility. This guy is better at the same age than Hedman, the last big D prospect at the draft. D prospects generally take a while to develop but a lot of people were ready to call Hedman a bust before he broke out in his 4th year. Karlsson broke out in his 3rd. Heck, Doughty was a Norris finalist in year two. It is not a safe bet to guarantee Dahlin will surpass Rielly in his 2nd year, but I wouldn't say it is impossible.

Morgain Rielly is 24, and is pretty good. He wasn't first overall, but he was a good pick in an okay draft.

From what we're hearing / reading Dahlin isn't even in discussion about being the best pick, because there is no discussion required.

Reactions: MATTHEWSisGretzky

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Maybe Dahlin is so special he'll come into the league and tear up the Atlantic, including the Leafs. But from a historical point of view, not even Karlsson, Hedman or Doughty were franchise changing defensemen as rookies. But Buffalo has added a huge piece and the Leafs need to keep working on themselves!

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
What is buffalos under 25 core?

Xxxxx. Eichel. Xxxx
Xxxxx. Casey. Reinhart
Girg
Dahlin. Ristolainen

Then a bunch of questions. Like Alex nylander etc.

Ours is.

Xxxxx. Matthews. Marner
Xxxxx. Nylander. Xxxx
Hyman. Brown. Xxxxx

Rielly. Dermott
Lilly

I think our question marks Bracco etc are better than theirs. But we will see.

I mean

Matthews. >= eichel
Marner. >. Casey
Nylander. >. Reinhart

Rielly. >. Ristolainen

Of course Dahlin is a huge difference maker but our core is still I would think a fair bit ahead.

Drugstorecowboi

May 5, 2009
Not surprised.

He did the exact same thing with the Flames as he did with the Leas, expected big trades would save the team.

Some nice moves, some terrible. And now he’s finished. I do think he’ll make a great broadcaster though.
I'm not a Burke fan but he didn't do the exact same thing. He groomed the current GM and hasen't made a move in 4 years for the FLAMES. He assumed the role of GM and President in year one and then once he hired Trevaling, he was there to support, groom, and help him grow into the team's GM. Much like what Lou is doing with Dubas. I get for crapping on Burke but we know Leaf fans only follow the Leafs. Making all the fans look like fools with threads such as this one! Do some research it's on the internet.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm not a Burke fan but he didn't do the exact same thing. He groomed the current GM and hasen't made a move in 4 years for the FLAMES. He assumed the role of GM and President in year one and then once he hired Trevaling, he was there to support, groom, and help him grow into the team's GM. Much like what Lou is doing with Dubas. I get for crapping on Burke but we know Leaf fans only follow the Leafs. Making all the fans look like fools with threads such as this one! Do some research it's on the internet.

I lived in Calgary for three years and followed the flames reasonably closely.

He may not have had the GM title but he was definitely involved in hockey decisions, and you can see similar patterns on how the Flames were run vs how the and Nonis faired with he Leafs. Ie not really solving goaltending issues, trading lots of futures for vets.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Buffalo will pass the leafs if Lou doesn't make some needed improvements.....

No offence but that's a 100% loser mentality. No doubt the Leafs need to improve but not bc the Sabres or other teams might catch up to them, it is bc Leafs needs to get better to beat teams like the Boston, TB, Pitts, Nashville, Winnipeg, SJ, and Washington in order to win the Cup.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Watching the 2nd round, it hits me that we are quite a ways from being a contender. We are definitely 2 top 4 dmen short, and probably 2-3 top 9 players as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad