Around the League 39: Will Kessel Sign in Winnipeg? The World Waits with Dogged Breath!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Figured I'd go ahead and get the new thread going prior to next week's free agency frenzy. Top of the free agent class is 3 time Stanley Cup Champion Phil Kessel, who the main board assures me is a guaranteed Hall of Famer. Winnipeg is currently looking like the Death Star- no, not a superweapon, they're in the process of blowing to smithereens. There are things happening around the league!

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
images

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
What actually happens if a team is under the cap floor?
Commissioner's discussion- options are a fine up to $5 million, with cap automatically decreased by the same amount the next year, forfeiting games, forfeiting draft picks, suspend any team employee, agent, or player involved.

Realistically, we're probably talking forfeiture of any games for which the team is under the floor, and fines for every game they're out of compliance to make it not worth the cost savings.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
Commissioner's discussion- options are a fine up to $5 million, with cap automatically decreased by the same amount the next year, forfeiting games, forfeiting draft picks, suspend any team employee, agent, or player involved.

Realistically, we're probably talking forfeiture of any games for which the team is under the floor, and fines for every game they're out of compliance to make it not worth the cost savings.
a team may also lose or forfeit arena development rights......Never mind. that's silly talk.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
If a team is trying to tank by being under the cap wouldn’t making them forfeit games as punishment be counterintuitive?
You kill any revenue they might get from that game, which ain't a small deal. But also, you could strip them of picks.

I'm presuming here the motivation would be to cut costs, not specifically to tank.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
NHLTR Mock Trade: Calgary Flames Trade Noah Hanifin to the Pittsburgh Penguins

NHLTR Mock Trade: Flames deal Noah Hanifin and the 16th pick in the 2023 draft to the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for Pierre-Olivier Joseph, Mikael Granlund and the 14th pick.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
NHLTR Mock Trade: Calgary Flames Trade Noah Hanifin to the Pittsburgh Penguins

NHLTR Mock Trade: Flames deal Noah Hanifin and the 16th pick in the 2023 draft to the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for Pierre-Olivier Joseph, Mikael Granlund and the 14th pick.

Is POJ really that good? Bc Granlund at his cap hit has very little value, which would essentially make this POJ+14 for Hanifin+16...which seems like a massive overpay to move up 2 spots.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I do yes.

Personally I wanted Nukchiskin. But then Monahan started out-performing Lindholm and I was all "damn how'd our FO miss on this guy?"
I say this with the utmost respect to Monahan guys, but most of them read stat lines and didn't watch all the nuances and parts of the game from both players that would eventually separate Lindholm from Monahan. That said, Lindholm might not have ever recovered here, even with new management/coaching.

As for Nichushkin, he has still only recently came back on the scene the last two years (other than his rookie year) and to say he might have character concerns is putting it lightly. Also his contract could be disastrous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad